X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregoriusM
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2000

Speaker and stand acoustic isolation

I thought I'd put this in a separate thread from my Apartment Acoustics thread.

I've been under the impression that when you have bookshelf speakers on a good solid steel stand, even weighted in the tubes with sand, that they should be on spikes to stand them on the floor and "isolate" them from the floor itself.

I was also told that the speakers should be solidly placed on top of the stands.

However, I find HERE Acoustic Isolation mounts for bookshelf speakers to isolate them from the stand for better sound.

Any comments on which is better?

Thanks.

Greg
    Gregor
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

There are 2 approaches to this issue, isolation or coupling. Standard speaker stands 'spike' the speakers, this couples them to the floor. The acoustic foam or similar products isolate the speakers. I haven't done a lot of comparing. Both approaches make the SQ better. If you're trying to avoid hassles with the neighbors then isolation is a better choice.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"