X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xshen
    • Apr 2004

magnetically shielded speakers

Hi:

I am going to purchase Rotel preamp 1068 + amp 1075 in next few weeks. I still need to decide what speakers to match them. I have a little problem with my room size. Due to the limited length of the wall that I am going to put both TV, AV rack, and two speakers, either I have to put speaker close to TV so it look like "Speaker TV Speaker Rack" or create an asymmetric location of my two speakers like "Speaker TV Rack Speaker" (in other words, I cannot get my TV in the center position).

So, my question is: what are those high-end main speakers that are magnetically shielded?

Your suggestion is greatly appreciated.
  • John Styrnol
    • Nov 2002

For RPTV you will not need magnetic shielding, if you have a Direct View there's a good chance you will. Monitor Audio makes magnetic shielding speakers and they work great. I also own some B&Ws (nice speakers), but not sure if their magnetic shielding. You will just have to check them out.
    John

My Home Theater
    My Home Page

Comment

• Bam!
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2004

Welcome bud!

Most dedicated Home Theater speakers are shielded....I did say most.....find the one`s that sing with your amp and then ask if they are shielded....I wouldn`t buy a speaker that is shielded but sounds like poop.

Hope this helps...keep us in touch....you are well on your way to a great set up!!!

:T
      Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Bam is correct. (for once.. Kidding Bam! ) Something like 90% of speakers are magnetically shielded so find a few brands/models you like and confirm they're shielded. Personally I vote for "Speaker/TV/Stand/Speaker" because if you put the speakers too close together you'll get CRAPPY imaging.

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Sort of depends on your definition of 'high-end' speakers. Looking at the lunatic fringe most of those actually aren't shielded. Perhaps the mfgr's assume that they'll only be used for music or wth FPTV.

And if one looks at some of the high-end DIY drivers, many aren't available with shielding. Proper cabinet design (layers of heavy gauge sheet metal) combined with bucking magnets added to the drivers will usually solve the problem.

If one's tastes are for 'planars' (Maggies, ESL, etc, ) those either have no magnets, or are inherently 'self-shielding'.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• xshen
            • Apr 2004

So far, what I found is that Revel F32 and M22 are shielded, but F32, at $4000 a pair, is over my budget. B&W series are not shielded in general (of course excluding center speaker). The only exception is theri Nautilus 805 bookshelf speakers.

I am still searching. A sales person suggested me to buy a bigger TV stand to hold all my components so that I don't need an extra rack. I am also exploring this option, but this means that my Sony matched stand which costed me $350 becomes useless.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

If you find a speaker you like and it's not shielded; we can probably create enough shielding with various DIY methods, if that's ok with you. It would of course require popping out the drivers and gluing bucking magnets on them. Then putting a piece of steel between the side of the cabinet and the TV.

Another option is to put the steel on the sides of the TV itself.

Frequently the 'magic' distance for non-shielded speakers is 24" from the sides of the TV.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"