X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dave
    • Aug 2003

The Importance of Quality Interconnects

This is a topic that most of you have already explored, I've spent a great deal of time and $$$ on various interconnects, what I've found is that the
    more upscale you go with the equipment purchases the greater need for
    higher quality cables. While studying this topic I found that high quality
    interconnects rendered thier best service in the placement between the source and the linestage or pre-amp. The source (cd player-turntable) is
    where all the imformation is produced and from there it goes on it's journey
    to finally reach the speakers. If the imformation is lost from the source then
    the speakers no matter how good they are can reproduce the signal. This is where high quality interconnects come into the picture, from personal experience I've gained depth, neutral response and more focus within the
    soundfield and that adds up to black background and tons of smiles. While
    not cheap this has been a very rewarding journey. The next phase will deal with going between the linestage and the amp. from what I've read and heard
    this will be an equal jump in transparency.

Has anyone else had the same results??? if so it would be nice to hear
    some of your experiences,,,
    Regards,,, Dave
    Last edited by dave; 29 April 2004, 23:53 Thursday. Reason: mispelling
    Dave...
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

I have "upgraded" cables and I truly have noticed a difference. Actually, I started with upgraded cables (Monster) and I found out there's a lot of hype with them. So, I started re-upgrading by switching everything over to Audioquest and noticed a huge difference. I am 85% done.

There's a lot of folks on other forums that will argue that upgraded cables are a waste of money yet they have never cracked their wallet open to buy some and hear the difference(s). They feel that the cables supplied with the components are sufficient. God bless them!

I'll end by saying that if their version is true, I don't care. For me, I hear the differences and that is all that matters anyway, doesn't it?!

Jim
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
      • Jan 2002

Now you should upgrade again from Audioquest to Catcables and notice an even further improvement! :B

BTW... that website address is http://www.catcables.com

Comment

• jimmyp58
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

no comment....

Comment

• ht_addict
          • Dec 2002

For video I went from AR Master Series to Straightwire Silver LinkII and noticed a huge differnce. If you watch Star Wars AOTC, the point where they come out of hyper space at the Planet with the asteroid belt, the stars in the background are brighter and more prominent. Also the asteroid field is more detailed. Audio wise I've also gone from AR Master Series interconnects to Straightwire Sonata Series II. Haven't had much of a chance to test them out since I took my Rotel RMB-1095 in to be serviced for the hum/buzz problem it exhibits when I hook my pre/pro to it. I can say for a certain it wasn't the cables causing the problem as it happens with both that I've owned.

ht_addict
          Last edited by ht_addict; 02 May 2004, 21:25 Sunday.

Comment

• dave
            • Aug 2003

Thanks for posting on this one everybody, it's interesting to read what other
            people have done with this very important part of thier systems. My experiences seem to have paralelled Jim's experiences in regards to first trying Monster's high end cables I've since then auditioned cardas gold,and
            tara's line not to mention kimber and had to spend a great deal on audioquests 2nd to the top cables, the results have been very favorable. Im sorry to say that I never have heard the catcable line however I would imagine that they are very good. I look at interconnects as another piece of
            high end equipment and from what I've read others feel the same as I do...

Regards,,, Dave...
            Dave...

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Jimmy, I'd like for you to expand on your your no comment remark. Is it that you are trying to infer that you somehow think CAT is inferior to some other cables? How could you know that if you've not tried them? Is it that you think small manufacturers are incapable of producing quality cables that can compete with the likes of Audioquest and heaven forbid, maybe even beat them dollar for dollar? Is it about customer service? Non national advertising campagns? What? I'd really like further explanation here.

Doug
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• LEVESQUE
                • Oct 2002

I'm in the category of people that think that cables can make a difference, albeit really small. IMHO, upgrading cables should be the last step in building a complete system.

I'm still using AR Master cables and some 20$ DVI cables in my system, with Rat Shack and Carol 12 gauge speaker wires, and don't feel bad about it.

I did try ALOT of different interconnects in the past in my system, but could not hear any difference... My dealer is selling interconnects at 6-7K$ US a pair to some rich americans regularly, and we did try them at my place, and we were not able to hear a difference...

My dealer told me he takes the money and run... Can he argue with a rich customer?

I think good quality cables are good quality cables, with good connectors, and that's all we need... A copper wire is a copper wire, and a good connector is a good connector... But I can't justify paying $$$ for so small a difference. CatCables are a good exemple of what I consider the ideal solution. Good quality for a good price.

I think a good system deserves good interconnects and cables, but not at the expanse of better speakers, amps or pre/pro...

Sorry Jimmy. :B I know we agree on alot of things, but not on that one...
                Last edited by LEVESQUE; 02 May 2004, 14:31 Sunday.
                To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

Doug:

Heavens no, I don't feel CatCables are inferior to AudioQuest. I could never make that assessment because I have never tried them.

What I meant by "no comment" is that I didn't want the thread to get into a p***ing contest like these types of threads on various other forums. I wasn't about to argue or comment to Sonnie's remark and have bunch of folks counter whatever I, or Sonnie, said. This is a very professionally run forum with a lot of great guys. I have seen other forums get downright ugly, particularly when it comes to cables. So, I just chose the 'no comment' remark as such. Perhaps it was a poor choice of words. My apologies if I offended you with that statement. Again, it is not that I feel CatCales are inferior nor superior to my choice, AudioQuest. The whole purpose was to respond to the original author by commenting that I have noticed a difference with upgrade cables (I am sure you'd agree with me on that). As you know Doug, there a lot of guys that feel 'generic' cables are just as good as 'upgraded' cables. God bless them and I have no argument with them because I cannot prove they are or aren't better than my choice (nor high-end Monster cables for that matter). I have settled in and am comfortable with the brand I have transitioned to but that doesn't mean they are better than the next brand nor worse. Its that for me, I like them just like not everyone will like Def Tech speakers vs. B&W vs. Paradigm vs. whatever. Last, I wasn't about to debate Sonnie with his comment. From first blush I perceive his comment that CatCables are superior to AudioQuest based on his experience(s). The same argument would hold true --- has he ever tried AudioQuest to see if they outperform CatCables? Probably not. Again, I didn't want to argue/debate him on this. I just chose to take the high road by saying "no comment".

My dear friend LEVESQUE feels that he could not tell a major difference with high-end cables vs. lower-end cables. And his comment is exactly dead-on. While we agree on most everything we'll simply agree to disagree on this point.

Again Doug, my apologies if my comment offended you. It was not meant to do this. And I hope my explanation clears up my intention.

Regards....

Jim

Comment

• dave
                    • Aug 2003

Good afternoon all,,, My intention is not to tear peoples equipment apart but to rather share experiences with one another and to gain some knowledge
                    from those experiences. This forum has been very good at giving honest unbiased opinions.

Regards,,, Dave...
                    Dave...

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Sonnie is a Cat customer, he's "pro" this forum, so he meant his comments in that regard only I expect. But I'm sure he's used some other products before selecting CAT as his only cable source. I didn't really recall his statement being quite like it is, but hey, if he feels Cat's an upgrade, that's his choice of course.

I will say however, that dollar for dollar, some of my products will outperform similarly priced products from them. But I'd never say, all cat are better than anyone's. A good example is silvercats. AQ will not sell you solid silver interconnects for less than 100.00, period. In some systems, they can make a large difference. So, in that price range, I think I can kick butt.

Anyway, thanks for the expanded clarification. I'm ok with that.

Doug
                      Doug

Comment

• jimmyp58
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

Glad I was able to clarify to your satisfaction.

Jim

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Originally posted by ht_addict
                          If you watch Star Wars AOFK,
                          Uh... is that "Attack of the French Klansmen"?
                          "Apprehension of Fifi Kocker?"

CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Amazingly Overwhelmingly Flatulent Knockers? :B

I'm a believer in the premise that cables CAN make a difference. That doesn't mean they WILL. It's a variable that changes from system to system, owner to owner. All I can say with certitude is that I've heard it and continue to hear it in my set ups at home, especially in the dedicated HT/listening room. Our "family room" system is fairly low-end and interconnect-level cabling changes there made little or no audible difference. Speaker cabling changes WERE noticable in that system, however.

In both dedicated rooms I've had, interconnects have made noticable differences, most of which I'm quite happy with. I will say that as the level of my equipment has improved, the differences in interconnects have become more apparent, with speaker cabling becoming more of a subtle issue. Improved soundstaging and localization, clarity/cleanliness and overall presentation have manifested themselves at one point or another. Just an interesting note for Jimmy: My cable journey has mirrored yours to a close degree. I started with OEM junk, progressed onward to Monster, then to AudioQuest and now to CatCables.

I, too, don't want this to turn into a "mines better" so I'll sign off now. Good luck on the next step in your journey Dave! Keep us posted.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• dave
                              • Aug 2003

Thanks David,,, as I continue to progress through and upgrade various componates I will most certianly be keeping you posted on the outcome.
                              Lex, I am going to go on the page here on HTguide and look a your product
                              line, I haven't done so as of yet.

Regards,,, Dave...
                              Dave...

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                • Jan 2002

Hee hee... what a hillbilly can do sometimes.

Originally posted by jimmyp58
                                Last, I wasn't about to debate Sonnie with his comment. From first blush I perceive his comment that CatCables are superior to AudioQuest based on his experience(s). The same argument would hold true --- has he ever tried AudioQuest to see if they outperform CatCables? Probably not. Again, I didn't want to argue/debate him on this. I just chose to take the high road by saying "no comment".
                                Hey... believe me I'm not one to debate either. I was meaning my statement in a more facetious way than any other. Sorry about that... I was just pickin' at ya. More so it's true in what Lex said that I'm "pro" this forum (which because of him we have it) and I'm definitely "pro" Catcables. No, I don't recall ever owning any AudioQuest cables so truthfully I couldn't compare the two. I have however owned some very expensive Tara Labs and Tributaries after owning some Monster's and AR's and a few other brands. Catcables initially replaced only a few of those and eventually replaced all of them. I think that's a fairly large statement for Catcables... but still I wouldn't want to debate the issue either.

Suffice it to say I love my Cats!

Comment

• aarsoe
                                  • May 2004

Well it would be a shame not to throw some additional mud into this descussion - so here's my view on cables..

Do they make a difference - YES - is it consistent - NO..

What I mean is that I have found that a cable that can be absolutly superb in one system, can be worthless if you change something in the overall setup.
                                  Guess it really comes down to hearing not the cables, but what the cables does to your system..
                                  This is of course a pain as it (for me at least) means that I have to evaluate the entire chain everytime a change a component.... But I guess thats why cable manufactors keep selling cables and we "fools" keep buying them.. :lol:

Before anyone ask - I use a mix of cables from Straight Wire, WireWorld, MIT and actually the best cable I have is from and old IBM UNIX control unit that I in desperation put on some phono plugs - so perfect... From Madison Cable Company - but they dont make it any longer... :M

And finally - remember that most HiFi cable manufactors dont actually produce their own cable - but buy it from large industrial cable manufactors..

Comment

• dave
                                    • Aug 2003

Aarsoe, there's ALOT of truth in what your saying here, I've experienced the same results. I used to own a Conrad Johnson (Sonographe) cd player at one time and right there in the owners manuel was the very thing you said about
                                    different cables having different effects. Some cables they said will sound superb on one system while on another system the same cables will strangle
                                    the sound field. So trying various applications to suit your tastes and system is highly recommended!!! Thanks for the post,

Regards, Dave...
                                    Dave...

Comment

• Whistler
                                      • Aug 2003

Hi,

I believe in the influence of different cables, but the more expensive the better is not allways the truth. It is like aarsoe said: keep on trying and you will find your match .

Regards,

Whistler
                                      The Mainframe

Comment

• NMyTree
                                        • May 2004

Has anyone had any experience with Cobalt Interconnects, or their Speaker cables?
                                        Tony

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Feb 2002

I think you are as good as your weakest link.

I tend to have the lower quality stuff but even then I saw a noticeable (and if it's noticeable to my eye then it's measureable) difference between the cable they threw in the box and the next step up.

My tv is an older Sony S series at 32". It only takes s-video but between the cable they threw in with my dvd player and the AR cables I bought from future shop for $20 it was very noticeable. Then I tried a better brand...well more expensive anyway ($80) and there was no discernable difference between the two so I saved myself $60. I think it's fair to say that I found my limit. Until I move up to a higer quality display (and bigger) or a higher quality player where I can resolve more detail...it ain't worth it for now...

As for sound, well all things being equal, again I heard a difference but it's more subtle...so again I'm being limited by other things (namely my components). I think there's less factors affecting a visual test than an audio one...as audio can be affected right up to how much wax you have in your ears that day :B

So I think, you always play the game of weakest links.

Besides, when the cable is worth as much as the player, then I think that's getting silly.

All that said, I think you can see the difference in quality up to a point and then it becomes a little harder to justify but if it washes in your mind, who cares what other people think? Mind you, a quality cable won't probably break as fast from stress, oxidize over time as quickly (if ever in your lifetime), but will maintain it's value. Plus it adds class to your system. Does all that justify it's worth....maybe, it's entirely dependent on the individual.

However, if it's simply that you like the braided look, you can give a boring looking cable a custom braided sleeve yourself....and not break the bank doing it.
                                          Last edited by Gordon Moore; 15 May 2004, 22:46 Saturday.
                                          Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• dave
                                            • Aug 2003

Gordan, Thanks for that imformation as I could not have said it better.

Regards, Dave...
                                            Dave...

Comment

• Juan Cortez
                                              • May 2003

Has anyone tried Chord cables? I heard alot about them.

Chord Cables
                                              Jason

Comment

• dave
                                                • Aug 2003

I have'nt heard of them before, can you tell us a bit about them???

Thanks, Dave...
                                                Dave...

Comment

• Juan Cortez
                                                  • May 2003

I do not know a whole lot about them. My dealer was the one to introduce them to me. I did pick up some of their Carnival speaker wire. I can say that they are built solid. The surrounding is really tough, I had to actually put some force into stripping the wire. I did hear a little improvement in the sound. I heard things that I did not notice before. I am planning on picking up some of thier interconnects, to add to my system.
                                                  Jason

Comment

• Lex
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Apr 2001

I'd like to remind some of you that HTGuide is owned by MatrixAV.US, which also owns this forum's sponsor, CATCAbles.com.

In short, this thread was not intended to be about every cable manufacturer under the sun according to the original post, and will not be left open to continue in that direction. So, please keep the post on topic, or I will have to close it as this forum's first allegance is to it's sponsors and then to it's members. Without sponsors, we aren't here to service members, so the allegance must be in that order.

Lex
                                                    Owner
                                                    Doug

Comment

• ht_addict
                                                      • Dec 2002

Lex, from the header of this forum it states,

"For the connoisseur of fine audio. Whether 2 channel and multichannel format, solid state and tube electronics, discuss it here. Also, hardware related SACD, DVD Audio, vinyl, high end speakers and audio enhancements including high end cables"

Now I'm not trying to start an argument or tell anyone how to run this forum and I certainly don't what to take the boot but,I don't see anywhere where it states only discussion of Catcables is allowed. I think in a discussion like this it gives you the opportunity to promote your CatCables against all others that are being discussed.

ht_addict

Comment

• Bam!
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Jan 2004

Euhhh Yeah!

I am gonna add something here.

I had a a couple of (one notch above audiophiles) come over.
                                                        It was fantastic!
                                                        We tweaked and tweaked....
                                                        Cones under the speakers
                                                        Power cords
                                                        Coaxial cables made of copper, silver, braided...what have you...
                                                        Speaker placement
                                                        Beer bottles on the speakers
                                                        One cone and one sponge under the cd player making it tilt 8O !

All I can say is that we were 5 guys....and we were WOWed at one these things could do to your sound.

Unreal!
                                                        Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Lex
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Apr 2001

ht_addict, respectfully, when I see a topic vering off topic, I am going to regain control, it's my job. That doesn't matter if it's interconnects or speakers. Go to Club B & W, and you will see I also said stay on topic when receiver discussion started there. Topics are started for a reason. When they vere off topic, they neither serve the original subject matter or the original poster and thus they don't serve this board. We've also been very dilligent about staying on topic in Club Rotel.

But yes, if a general interconnect question is asked, and it turns into my brand this, your brand that, I'm going to shut it down, as it neither serves our sponsor, (my company), or the original post request. Aside from that, CAT helped to pay the 1500.00 I just paid to keep this board on air. The other brands didn't. So, who am I going to protect?

It has nothing to do with the specific forum description. I didn't say no cable discussion could ensue. But not when it doesn't match the topic, it's outta here.

Lex
                                                          Doug

Comment

• dave
                                                            • Aug 2003

Lex: at my request if you would, shut this thread down and or delete it
                                                            entirely. It has never been my intention to cause anyone agrivation or
                                                            discomfort in any way! I was hoping that with all the people who enjoy
                                                            this web-site myself included we all could gain some helpful and sometimes
                                                            needed Knowledge as to how important this part of our systems can be.

I am truly saddened by this.
                                                            Respectfully and with Kind Regards,,, Dave...
                                                            Dave...

Comment

• Juan Cortez
                                                              • May 2003

I am sorry if I have caused any problems. I was just wonderin if anyone else has heard of that company since I don't see or hear about them much.

Again Sorry
                                                              Jason

Comment

• Lex
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Apr 2001

Juan, I have not got a real problem with Chord, as I don't have a problem with dealer sold lines. My primary issues with interconnect threads are online dealers and direct sales from a competitive standpoint.

Dave, it's not your fault what happened here. I'm just trying to stop it before it starts about XYZ web brand, and ABC web brand.

I'm going to lay out the rules in plain english for everyone soon, and that may avoid this sort of problem in the future.

Sometimes, I even overreact. It happens, especially when I haven't sold a cable in over a week until today.

Regards,
                                                                Lex
                                                                Doug

Comment

• aarsoe
                                                                  • May 2004

Lex

I see your point - however your attitude kills the entire idea of a forum.
                                                                  Nobody was ditching your products, infact my recommendation would have been to write an answer offering to ship a cable for comparison so that Juan could see just how good your cables are compared to Chord - which is not the most in-expensive cables around..

In regards to not selling any cables - then take a look at the cat cable forum and answer my requests for a recommendation of a cable..

Sorry - but if any of my salesreps show this attitude, then it's adios amigo..

PS: You can ban me but I stand by my oppinion

Comment

• Lex
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Apr 2001

Actually, my attitude has killing nothing, it is my attitude that brought HTGuide to you all. I will admit, there's a unique relationship at HTGuide, with me owning a cable company as well. It does put a different spin on cable talk at HTG. Most people have been very conscious of that fact, and considerate. Some have even been supportive and ordered products. A few have left, and that is their preogative. I'm ok with that.

We are still growing daily, and we leave most all discussions open and unchecked. Probably moreso than any other forum. But we will always honor our sponsors first, period. Anyone that does not understand that, should find somewhere else to talk HT and we will thank them for having tried us.

Simply, I'm not going to pay the bills, and leave things open ended for every web cable brand under the sun to send their cronies in to hock their wares. I know it happens elsewhere, and it's not happening here.

Lex
                                                                    Doug

Comment

Working...
                                                                    😀
                                                                    😂
                                                                    🥰
                                                                    😘
                                                                    🤢
                                                                    😎
                                                                    😞
                                                                    😡
                                                                    👍
                                                                    👎
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"