X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunzui
    • Mar 2004

Proper Dimensions

Hello, I am a long time reader first time poster. I have browsed the site and found bunches of partial information. I was looking for some guidance on proper dimensions.

I have the great opportunity to build a dedicated home theater in the basement of my custom house which will soon begin construction. My question is this...

What would be the "perfect" dimensions of a 110 inch front projection dedicated home theater? I plan to have 3 rows of seating. The first two rows of seating would be fluffy longue chairs and the third row would be a couch. I am interested in sound and video. I also do not know how far from the screen the first row would begin.

Websites, typed info, books it would all be helpful.

Thanks ahead of time for any information you can provide.

Sunzui
    Sunzui
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Sunzui, no prob... we all can help you out. Just one question-- are you talking 110" diagonal measurement on your screen? Or width?

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Sunzui
      • Mar 2004

To be honest, my current home theater is a RPTV. I don't have the projector or the screen yet. I just found that 110" diag was the most common for dedicated rooms. That could be incorrect as well.

So I guess the answer is from corner to corner on the diag.

Sunzui
      Sunzui

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

The Perfect Dimensions?

Oh now that's quite a proposition! : Let's start off with room shape. There are certain ratios that minimize the sonic issues in a rectangular room, and three of them are:

1.00 H x 1.14 W x 1.39 D
        1.00 H x 1.28 W x 1.54 D
        1.00 H x 1.60 W x 2.33 D

Now, some questions:
        1. Are you going to orient the PJ parallel with the long axis of the room?
          Do you want to space the front row of seating from the screen based on viewing angle from your seat or pixel visibility?
          Do you have a layout in mind?
          Where will the equipment room be?
          Will there be any decorative constructs, such as risers, columns, stages, etc?
        Once these are established, then you can take the screen size and design the room dimensions/layout detail around it and the speaker, door, seating specifics.

Ready to rumble? :B

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Sunzui,

It would also be quite helpful to know the current dimensions of the existing room so we can apply those ratios and find out the best places to fill in with equipment/software shelving etc to achieve those ratios.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
          Jason

Comment

• Sunzui
            • Mar 2004

David and Jason,

I am currently rebuilding my PC. Give me a day to get things back in order and I will create my thought in an image.

I plan to have a long and more narrow room (rectangle). I do not know the dimensions of the room because it is not built yet. I was trying to get the dimensions of the room based on the screen, proper viewing distance, three rows of rised seating and equipment in the back.

Thanks again for the quick responses. I will organize my thoughts and bring them back here.

Regards,

Sunzui
            Sunzui

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

It's good that you have a blank slate with regard to the room size. That way your plan to size it will work well with the ratios.

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

What I meant is what are the dimensions of the entire space you plan to finish? I assume it's a pre-defined space in the house you're building? I mean if you've only got an available length in the plans of say 20' and we tell you to make it 25' long...that's not going to work very well... We await your "thought in an image".

It's good that you have a blank slate with regard to the room size. That way your plan to size it will work well with the ratios.
                Agreed, being able to put walls where you want within the avilable space will allow you to optimize the room dimensions and allow you to construct everything the way you want it, allow easy install of things like dedicated 20 amp lines etc... Gotta love a clean slate :P

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                Jason

Comment

• Sunzui
                  • Mar 2004

Here are my thoughts in image format. Please excuse my crude Visio skills. My questions above are still valid even though I have dimensions on the image. These were my best guess.

I am not certain it will effect anything but here is a list of my current equipment and the items I will be procuring for the new dedicated home theater.

Current Equipment:
                  Martin Logan: Ascent (2)
                  Martin Logan: Cinema
                  Martin Logan: Script (2)
                  B&K Components: AVR 201
                  Sony: DVP S7700
                  Tivo 2: 40 Hour
                  Satellite Sony: HD100

Need to Buy:
                  Sanyo: PLV-Z2
                  110 Inch Diagonal Precision 1.78 to 1
                  Seating, Lazy Boy: Matinee

Sunzui
                  Sunzui

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"