X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff Hartford
    • Jul 2003

Acoustic/cosmetic advise

Acoustic/cosmetic recommendations
    I have a finished basement and the pool room has now evolved into a retrofit home theater. The room is 12'8" X 19'. There is an 8' ceiling.

The screen is a DIY 92" Dalite HCCV with black felt 3" border. If you don't look too close, it looks pretty darn good. There are two NHT VT-2.4 towers on either side of the screen with side firing woofers that are just under 30" from the side walls (3' would be ideal, but I didn't want to sacrifice any more screen size).

The projector will be ceiling mounted (Epson TW100) about 11' away. The current "decor" is a splash wall paper with predom light green shades with some purple (coordinated with a deep purple 9' pool table- looked very RL). The ceiling is white- there are three hihats down the center of the room that will be replaced- thought about small spots in front of the room.

Several questions: 1)A cheap quick thought (daughter) was to paint the front wall behind the screen a deep purple and leave the walls. Acoustically, that seems like a poor idea from what I have read. Based on the speakers and side firing, are bass traps in the front corners obligatory, or will they "suck up" too much bass? (Have a Rotel RMB-1095 biamped with an NHT SA-3 powering the woofers). Wall treatments or just acoustic panels? How many?

2)Will the current white ceiling be a reflection nightmare? Any acoustic damping to quell the rumble in the living room upstairs? Have read threads on "acoustic paint" ; is it me or does it sound like a bunch of crap?

3) I have NHT VS 2.4 surrounds and center. I understand that ear level from the side is the best location for sats, but my room opens up around 13 feet back. If I put them further back I would have to put one over a door and the other at the same height over an archway. The NHT's are angular such that they can be mounted to fire straight out, or 45 degrees up or down. I would prefer the 14-15 foot distance back, but how acoustically flawed would it be to have the speakers firing down at an angle from a height of 7'?

4) As mentioned, the back of the room opens up to width of 16' with an open staircase running across the room in the back. Is it necessary to close off the back of the room for acoustics? Light is not a problem. Motorized curtain, or needless expense?

Would greatly appreciate input to any or all the above. Have spoken to home theater people, but they had limited interest in coming out as I have my equipment, and when the last one no showed, instead of buying my screen from him, I made it. Look forward to some of the "experts" in this room shedding some light. Thanks in advance.

Jeff
  • efarstad
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2001

Hey Jeff, You've got Mail!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

1)A cheap quick thought (daughter) was to paint the front wall behind the screen a deep purple and leave the walls. Acoustically, that seems like a poor idea from what I have read.
      A dark purple could work but you're right about the acoustics.

Based on the speakers and side firing, are bass traps in the front corners obligatory, or will they "suck up" too much bass? (Have a Rotel RMB-1095 biamped with an NHT SA-3 powering the woofers). Wall treatments or just acoustic panels? How many?
      Bass traps could be used but without knowing what freq response you're getting in the room now its impossible to try to start suggesting a fix Generally though you want to have a dead front wall behind the speakers and around the bottom half of the room with the top half of the wall more reflective. If you can't do that at a minimum add some insulation to the front wall behind the fronts and on the side walls at the first reflection point. The easiest way to find the front reflection point is to have someone slide a mirror along the wall while you're sitting in your main chair...when you can see your mains in the mirror that's the first reflection point that needs attention.

2)Will the current white ceiling be a reflection nightmare? Any acoustic damping to quell the rumble in the living room upstairs? Have read threads on "acoustic paint" ; is it me or does it sound like a bunch of crap?
      Likely yes with a ceiling mounted PJ it likely will be a problem...or at the very least less then ideal

3) I have NHT VS 2.4 surrounds and center. I understand that ear level from the side is the best location for sats, but my room opens up around 13 feet back. If I put them further back I would have to put one over a door and the other at the same height over an archway. The NHT's are angular such that they can be mounted to fire straight out, or 45 degrees up or down. I would prefer the 14-15 foot distance back, but how acoustically flawed would it be to have the speakers firing down at an angle from a height of 7'?
      Actually I prefer to have my side surrounds mounted a couple of feet above my head when seated so your placement shouldn't be an issue at all.

4) As mentioned, the back of the room opens up to width of 16' with an open staircase running across the room in the back. Is it necessary to close off the back of the room for acoustics? Light is not a problem. Motorized curtain, or needless expense?
      So long as light isn't a problem you should be fine with the open back. The only thing it will limit is the placement of rear centre channels should you go that route.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
        • Jan 2002

Hey Jeff... I tend to agree with Andrew in most of what he said but I'm living proof that you don't necessarily need any acoustic treatment in a room to make it sound right.

It was in my plans to use some type of acoustic material when building my room but if I do then it's gonna be slap dead in there. It sounds perfect right now with none whatsoever. Or should I say no purchased acoustic panels or specific treatment. I'm sure the 8lb padding with carpet and 3 Lazy-boy recliners have something to say about acoustics and that may well be why my room needs no more. Plus I was able to stuff R-26 in the walls and ceiling and riser so this could be more help. Either way... I have no problems with acoustics IMO.

With the back part of your room opening up I would be surprised if you have a problem with over bass. In my previous rooms (2 different great rooms) I had problems with bass escaping. In the new room it seems to be okay although my final analysis is not complete as I just finished equalizing the sub with our BFD (something that might be good for you to check into). I'd probably try it without closing the room first and then if needed or felt it would improve the acoustics close it up later.

If your ceiling is flat then painting it shouldn't be a big deal and I would highly recommend it. Any light colors will reflect light as I've found out I can't even hang a light colored picture anywhere near the front part of the room. I even painted the silver part of my threshold black to keep the reflection from the screen distracting me. Everytime it distracted me I kept thinking I had a light leak under the door and someone was about to walk in so I nipped it in the bud with some flat black enamel. On the other hand if you have the blown textured ceiling you will likely need to hard sweep it with a stiff broom to knock down any loose texture bits. Then get a 1" nap cotton roller and roll away with about 2-3 coats. Keep in mind that everytime one of those little texture bits falls off the ceiling you'll have a little distracting white spot.

If this is going to be a permanent HT room then I would see no need for a motorized screen. I painted my drywall Misty Evening Gray and it works beautimously.

I by no means an expert but that's my 1 cent worth anyway.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• efarstad
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2001

From what I'm learning and some acoustic folks I've spoken with recently, all rooms can benefit from acoustic treatment...to varying degrees of course.

An Audio Analyzer like this one, http://www.sencore.com/products/sp295.htm can be used and often is to help determine many acoustic problems in rooms and how to treat them.

So Jeff, depending on how "acoustically correct" you desire your room to be, there are measures to take once you can determine what the specific sonic and acoustic qualities are of your specific room.

I'm in the process of doing this for my own theater...heck since I built mine, I've learned so much I'd likely do everything different! ops:

Ask away Jeff...that's what we're here for!

As to some of your questions that perhaps noone touched on yet.

Yes there are things you can do to "quell the rumble in the living room upstairs." But you need to determine how much new construction activity you're willing to endure. Acoustic paint is a farse!

Motorized curtains...needed...NO, but I love mine!
          E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
          E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
          E-Cinema

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
            • Jan 2002

Hmmm... I thought I saw a puddie cat.... actually I thought I read "motorized screen" not "motorized curtains". My bad!

E... that machine looks like a whumdinger. 8O I noticed training seminars and financing for it so it must be a serious piece of equipment and cost some serious money too. I may have to stick to letting my ears being the judge. But... if you invest in one and get down this way I'll let you practice on my room.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• efarstad
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2001

You got it Sonnie...

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
              E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
              E-Cinema

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Er?

CHRIS
                Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"