X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Popcorn Machine for Your Home Theater Lobby

This is certainly a staple of home theaters. What would a home movie theater experience be without popcorn? Up to now, I've always just used the microwave popcorn bags or small hot air popper. But with my theater project, I just had to buy an antique popcorn popper to put in my rec room/theater lobby. Many may feel it's not worth it to spend extra money on a full-size machine. But to me, it adds a magical flair to the whole movie experience that brings the presentation and enjoyment to a whole new level. Authentic theater popcorn tastes great, too. (and you can make it as unhealthy as you want or save some calories and go low-fat too)

I was first considering going with the Paragon "1911" line of popcorn machines, as I like the appearance of this model.

By far the best place I found to buy popcorn machines is the Deuster Company. (and other stuff too, like bar supplies) http://www.deusterco.com/ The prices are the best I've found anywhere, and the owner Greg Deuster is great for customer service. I was originally going to go with the smallest model, the 4 ounce, since 99% of the time I'll just be using it for me and my wife only. Greg occasionally has "factory seconds" models that he can sell for a discount, though, and had a 6 ounce model in stock, which was actually cheaper than the new 4 ounce model. 6 ounce models also come with extra features like a warming coil below the popcorn base and pull-out "old maid" tray to get rid of unpopped kernels. The only problem was, that the 1911 models are only made in 4 and 8 ounces. I chose to go with the factory seconds "Theater Pop 6" or "Thrifty Pop 6" unit, which is actually a professional concession grade unit.

I just got it and set it up. It's great! With the optional cart, it looks very professional and is good quality construction. The cart fits the 8 ounce model perfectly, but the 4 and 6 ounce models work and look fine too. (since both the machine and the base are made by Paragon, you can actually bolt the two together, too!) Now that I have it in person, I think the 4 ounce would have been just fine for me. The larger units may be more for professional applications like selling popcorn in a mall or something. But, even though it doesn't have the look of the 1911, I saved a few dollars, and got some extra features. And for the rare occasions that I do have a big party or a movie night for several people, the extra popcorn capacity may come in handy.

I'll post some pictures of my own machine shortly in my rec room, as well as feedback when I get some popcorn supplies and make the first batch.

Paragon's info website:
    The official website of Paragon International! A leading manufacturer of commercial concession and restaurant equipment including popcorn machines, snow cone machines, cotton candy machines, hot dog steamers, fryers, portable sinks and so much more!

Deuster company's retail sales:
    Offering Popcorn machines, popcorn poppers, pizza machines, popcorn supplies, bar equipment, restaurant equipment, bar stools, bar supplies, hot dog roller grill machine equipment, pizza ovens and merchandisers.

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Sonnie Parker
    • Jan 2002

Nice poppers Chris. I wonder if the popcorn jumps around when the bass hits really hard? lol ... I like that jukebox model.

I don't think I'm gonna have enough room for a popper but it sure would be nice. I can pick up one through our local hardware store for a couple hundred bucks.

I noticed the factory seconds they offer are not used but rather just glass breakage replacements.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Nice looking machine(s). I'm sure you and the others who frequent your HT will enjoy the treat of freshly popped popcorn a lot. I think equipment like the popcon poppers, rope lights along walkways, etcetera are nice flourishes to finish out an HT, assuming all the essential aspects have been covered -- like a decent projection screen, adequate light control, room sound treatments and speakers that don't sound like kazoos. :>)

As I'm sure you would advise as well, it's a matter of priorities for the HT budget. For instance, if someone were to ask guests to sit on sagging sofas or rickety folding chairs for several hours instead of properly supportive, comfortable seating, then the freshly popped popcorn might as well be out of the microwave -- spending the money on a nice cart for the popper isn't going to make inadequate seating any more comfortable. But if all the other aspects have been covered (as they have in your well-planned-and-executed setup) then adding the "extra touches" like the popcorn machine adds to the fun.

Enjoy!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Unfortunately my layout is not appropriate for a popcorn machine, but I would definitely have one if the situation were different. For my popcorn needs I use a good old hand-cranker pot and only use coconut oil, proper seasoning and good quality seed. Yummm, just like in the theater.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

As promised, here's some of my personal pictures of the popcorn machine. We just made our first batch tonight, using Paragon's pre-mixed popcorn pouches. Interestingly enough, they're 8oz packets which are designed for 6oz machines. I'm assuming that means there's 6oz of popcorn and another 2oz of oil, seasoning, and salt in the pouch. The 6 oz was enough to fill about 3 of the popcorn tubs that Jen's holding. More than enough for 2 people, but not so much that it was very wasteful. Again, I think the 4oz machine would have been fine for us.

The popcorn was DELICIOUS. Made with coconut oil, it tasted just like theater popcorn, only cheaper and I can make it exactly the way I want! It only took a minute or so to pop the whole thing. With the 6oz machine, there's a warming element below the floor that keeps the popcorn warm. This came in slightly handy when we went back for seconds, as the popcorn hasn't fully cooled and become yucky. But this is more of a gee-whiz sort of thing, not fully necessary for non-professional applications. I did find that after stirring or shifting the popped popcorn in the case, that the old maids and very small popcorn fragments did fall through the small floor holes into the old maid catcher tray as advertised. Another gee-whiz thing.

The popcorn machine in my rec room/theater lobby. All the trinkets you see behind the bar are my shot glass and Hard Rock Cafe memorabilia collections.

A closeup of my popcorn machine. One tricky thing about it is that it looks best from the front, looking at the side away from the doors. But if you put the doors up against a wall, you can't get into the case to make popcorn. I placed it facing into the rec room, but so that the rear could open up over the railing into the hallway for access.

My beautiful pregnant wife enjoying our first batch of homemade theater popcorn:

CHRIS
          Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Trevor Schell
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Your going to have to fly me in for some PopCorn!

Great looking machine!
            Your HT Lobby is looking awesome.
            Very creative! :T

Trevor
            My HomeTheater S.E.
            Sonically Enhanced
            C5
            Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• I'mListening
              • Jul 2003

Chris,

AWESOME SET UP!

But you really should fix more popcorn.... afterall, your wife is eating for TWO! :LOL:

Thanks for reading!

Enter The Cyberdyne Cinema

Darren
              Thanks for reading!

Enter The Cyberdyne Cinema

Darren

Comment

• pcdoctor
                • Nov 2003

Very nice lobby Chris!
                I assume you are enjoying your Paragon popper.

My HT
                My HT

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Wow, Chris, you are on your way to one heckuva home theater.

As for the popcorn, I always use coconut oil. Definitely makes the best popcorn.

My Homepage!
                  My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"