X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • efarstad
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2001

HT & Air Flow Problem *Fix*

You all may remember how my HT room has a register but not a fresh air intake...and how I discussed how to keep the room at a decent temperature especially given the extra heat our new projector throws off. Well, I could just crack the door, the window, etc...but I still wanted to do something...so here's what I've come up with:

First I'm gong to punch a hole in the wall that adjoins the family room in the basement.

I'll attach one of these to the outside wall. The rectangle opening will face the theater room.

Then I'll connect some flexiduct to the fitting attached the the wall.

After about 2-3 feet or so I'll install this inline duct booster that will draw the air from the theater room, which I will then vent into the family room.

I'll then cover both openings with one of these painted to match the wall color.

To power the inline duct booster, I just have to run normal 120 to it which I can branch off from our existing wiring in the ceiling.

To turn on/off the duct fan I'll install one of these that I'll be able to control with my X10 gear! It's an inline relay that allows you to turn things on and off without a hard wired switch!

So basically I'll be able to hit a button on my remote that will turn on the fan, pulling any hot and stale air out of the room!

All of this will be built in a soffit on the family room wall, mirroring the other soffit on the adjacent wall that already houses duct work...so it will be nice and balanced! 8)

I'll of course be documenting every installation/construction step on my website, but I'm just happy to have finally found a solution other than cracking the door! :-y

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Cool!

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

E, excellent planning, and now for the implementation.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Uncle Clive
        Former Moderator
        • Jan 2002

E. Very soon you'll find a way to become the first X10 drone. Your whole house will be wired to only YOU!

Congrats man, ingenious!

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
        CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• efarstad
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2001

Lex: Implementation will happen soon...gotta wrap up school this week first!

LOL...Clive!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
          E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
          E-Cinema

Comment

• I'mListening
            • Jul 2003

Well, have you implemented the idea?

My room gets hotter than a firecracker! I have two ceiling mounted A/C ducts....but like you, no return ducts. I never thought this would become an issue but with the new Rotels, LCD Projector and Halogen lighting the heat raises quickly!

I considered something similar, but exiting to the outside of the house. Would that contribute to Global warming? :LOL: 8O :P

Thanks for reading!

Enter The Cyberdyne Cinema

Darren
            Thanks for reading!

Enter The Cyberdyne Cinema

Darren

Comment

• efarstad
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jun 2001

It's implemented and works like a charm! I've been real busy so haven't been able to update my website with what I did, but if you're on the fence get off...for it does the job and some!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
              E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
              E-Cinema

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"