X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

IR Repeaters

I want to set up a IR repeating system for my second zone so I can pipe music upstairs from the theater. I found a Terk IR repeater system on sale at a Radio Shack that was closing thinking that it would do what I wanted. Well it turns out it doesn't :evil: What I thought I could do is have the receiver in the living room upstairs and then place the other unit on top of the gear rack downstairs on the other side of the wall and run a 3.5mm mono cable from its IR out to the IR in on my Rotel pre amp...but this doesn't work at all. If I plug a IR flasher into that IR out on the Terk and place it in front of the gear it works fine so I know the Terk unit is transmitting the signals ok but for some reason the signal its sending out isn't what the Rotel's looking for. Thinking the Terk might be incompatible for some reason I went and bought a Rocoton unit tonight that's basically the same thing and as before it won't work so I'm now faced with going with a hardwire install. With that in mind from what I understand I need a IR receiver in the wall upstairs which will be connected to some base unit in the basement that will have the 3.5mm plug out to the Rotel. What does everyone use?

I think i need one of these which will be connected to one of the Connecting blocks with cat5 or phone cable and then I'd simply run the 3.5mm mono cable from this connecting block to the Rotel's IR in right?

Erik can you do me a favor and see if you can control your Rotel if you plug a 3.5mm mon cable directly into its EXT in jack instead of using the flasher? You should also be able to plug the flasher you're running to the Denon on the Rotels' IR out jack.

• efarstad
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2001

Sent you an e-mail buddy!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Erik I'm following in your shoes buddy so I hope you choose wisely

Just ordered a wall mounted IR sensor this one and the same connecting block you got (this one) with the 9 volt power supply.

Comment

• efarstad
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2001

Andrew: How did everything work out? Have you gotten the goods yet? Can't wait to see if it works for ya...

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Goods haven't arrived yet...haven't even got a shipping notice

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

The IR repeating system arrived today and since the cable I bought wasn't suitable I only had a short lenght of cat 5 cable that I could use to test it with but it worked:T One thing that threw me for a loop though was there's three cables to connect but the two connecting blocks where to attached the cat 5 cable aren't in the same order so I goofed at first and was so disappointed when it didn't work. It wasn't till I double checked my cables that I noticed the differences in the blocks and got it sorted out...you have to wonder about the engineers that work on these things sometimes :roll: Anyway this weekend I'll run the cable and get it installed good and proper

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

That's great Andrew. Another step closer. . . . :T

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"