X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Carpeting a basement

My media room is in my basement. The carpet that's current in that room and the office is old thin ugly and reddish in colour and its time to replace it...at least in the media room. I'm luckly in that my basement never gets wet or damp other then regular summer humidity etc so I'm not to concerned with that but from what I gather I should make sure the carpet I get is synthetic and mold resistant. Anything else I should be thinking of? I was also considering not going with carpet but maybe a harder more reflective surface and using area rugs where needed for sound relection but I think carpet will be cheaper and warmer to boot. Thoughts?

• efarstad
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2001

Hey Andrew! I'd recommend carpet in a basement, for any other "hard" surface will be rather cold to walk on and not as comfy for those wanted to sprawl out on the floor, like youngsters! They make carpet pads that are excellent for basements, concrete in particular, that breathe allowing moisture to escape and not get traped under the carpet. So just make sure you don't get a carpet that has a completely solid rubber or other moisture barrier and you should be fine. Also, don't skimp on the pad...for it will be more comfy and also extend the life of whatever carpet you choose.

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Gotta agree with E on this Andrew. Carpet is much more comfortable to sprawl out on than hardwoods, tiles, etc. Definitely get an upgraded pad - and upgrade as far as you can. Throw some bean-bag chairs into the mix and it becomes a great "flop" room.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• jimmyp58
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

I just carpeted my basement with commercial-grade berber and had a 9 lb pad installed underneath. Looks really nice and is durable is all get-out.
        jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Eduardo
          Moderator emeritus
          • Jun 2002

waiting for the pics :evil: -

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

There's some on my homepage now

Click here if you dare

Comment

• Uncle Clive
              Former Moderator
              • Jan 2002

Does carpeting drastically change the accustics in your room? Did you have to take new readings and change the frequency range?

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
              CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I haven't rechecked things since installing the carpet but I really doubt it changed that much since the carpet I installed came with its own backing so it wasn't really all that much different then what was in there before.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"