X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

How many seats at what price?

I see this in magazines where individuals would spend over $100,000 for a home theater with only five or seven seats. I wouldn't put that much out for that little seating area. But does it matter? What is important here > the design, equipment.............. Q. Should "How many seats" be a factor in the amount of overall money you'd spend if say ten or more people can't enjoy it with me all at the same time? How does this all work?

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
    CLIVE

• Eduardo
    Moderator emeritus
    • Jun 2002

I guess if your were building a real movie theater to charge customers, then cost to seat value may be of importance. I feel if its a personal theater then "How many seats" should not be a factor. On average only 2 to 3 people watch movies in my "HT" room at time and not becuase lack of seating. And I wish I could spend $100K even if it was just for my wife and me.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Except for when other family members are home for the holidays or on vacation, my HT basically seats two, but other seating is available when needed. I have had as many as 6 people in the theater , but that is very unusual. As for actual seats: there are 2 lazeeboys and two other large chairs. The lazeeboys occupy the main area. I move the other chairs around as needed and bring in smaller chairs when needed.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

What ten people did you have in mind for me to invite over on a regular basis? :>) If I had that many comfortable chairs in my HT, there would be no floor space for anything else! In fact, I got rid of a sectional sofa that nominally seated seven, (but actually rarely had more than three sitting on it at a time), because it took up way too much room and forced at least one person to crane their neck to see the screen.

That much upholstered mass also deadened the sound -- I am using a few of the cushions left over from it as room treatment, and they effectively "kill" the echo in what is otherwise a very live room. I now have three easy-to-rearrange Ekornes chairs in my HT with the option to pull in a couple more seats from other rooms if need be.

But addressing the cost per seat issue, for me, the total expense is justified for one seating position -- mine. Even if I never invited anyone else over, I'd want the same system. Realistically, while it is fun to share the listening / watching experience, most of my friends have their own HTs and when we get together, it is more to the point to share conversation.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

As burke mentions I justify all my expenses on a single seat...mine I can fit 6 fairly easily and more if need be but its very rare that there's more then 4 people and most often its just glenda and I.

Comment

• Uncle Clive
            Former Moderator
            • Jan 2002

Burke I'll send you the list : . I guess I have a different out-look because I entertain a lot. And of course my extended family is still getting used to the idea of HT. I'll see what others have to say.

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

I don't know what you guys are talking about. My theater only has one seat. You guys actually let OTHER people in your theater? what the heck are you thinking? 8O

Just kidding. I'm personally planning 6 seats, which I think is a great number for a theater of this type. Small enough that I can keep them out of the walkways and place them where I want them. Not many more than just the 1 or 2 that I'll need most of the time with me and my wife being the primary users. But when having company over, you can still watch with a few friends, and even drag in another cushion or two for larger parties.

As for number of seats being a factor in how much you spend on a theater, I'd say no. I'm really building my theater for me and my family, not other people. So by adding more seats, no, I'm not going to spend more on the overall theater.

CHRIS
              Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Ours is one of those intimate little theaters. There are three permanent seats of the leather recliner-type, and room for 3-4 bean bag chairs for overflow.

Price justifications are for one seat only, though - MINE. :B

David - HTGuide flunky
                Our "Theater"
                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                  Former Moderator
                  • Jan 2002

Well, it would seem like I'm the only one who needs a crowd :crazy:

I just love entertaining and if I had the money..........based upon your influences, I'd built TWO theatres. Now how 'bout dat?
                  Yes, I believe that's what I'd do.

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Now that's a thought! Clive-orama I and Clive-orama II.

David - HTGuide flunky
                    Our "Theater"
                    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Actually, I regularly read "Home Entertainment and Design", which is a decent new magazine. Projects pictured are very high end, though, and out of most people's reach, but give good ideas. One I just read had a house with THREE home theaters, including one in a circus theme for their kid who is something like 3 years old. The kids home theater was bigger than mine. Sad...

CHRIS
                      Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Yeah, I've also been reading that magazine. It's definitely high end, but very nice to look at. Has had some interesting articles also since its inception a few months back.

My Homepage!
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Aeromos
                          • Jun 2003

Once I'm upgraded I will definitely have it set up for at least 6 people (household). We also have quite a bit of family get togethers but won't set up seating for more than 6 I think. I'll just bring in seats and cushions if need be. Of course I have to first set up a dedicated HT room - LOL!! Right now I'm using the family room where overflow sits on the rug in front of the couch. But I'm sure either way, once set up, my family will soon be looking at their own set up. I've influenced them all but one so far to have an HT set-up, even though it wouldn't be what I or most here in the forum would pick for equipments.

Aeromos
                          Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                          My Collection
                          Aeromos
                          Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                          My Collection

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"