X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • efarstad
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2001

Theme Theaters

In reading Clive's post in another thread I thought...who would want to do a "theme" theater? And if you did what woudl you do? Clive would like to take an old jet plane and remodel the interior into a theater...what about you?

I was going to do my theater in a "troll theme" to honor my Norwegian heritage but the wife and other factors changed my mind...so we went with your basic contemporary design.

Share your dream theater themes!!!! Money no option, what woud you do?

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Some that come to mind are:

the bridge of the starship Enterprise from Star Trek
    Bilbo's house from Lord Of The Rings
    inside an aquarium - not really INSIDE, ya dig?
    inside the Coliseum - ditto

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

E, no offense, but thank goodness your wife overruled the Troll theater, lol.

Indiana Jones theme could work nicely. Big budget.

tropical island theme maybe.

James Bond theme

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• efarstad
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2001

Don't mess with me Lex! I'm 100% Norgy...so I'll gather my Viking buddies and we'll come pillage your village! :twisted:

It was gong to be a cool Troll theme...I have authentic hand carved wooden Norwegian trolls that are about 6" to a foot tall and I was going to build little "cave openings" in the wall and put them in those (all backlit of course) and my wife was going to paint this woodsy/cave mural on the wall.

Then reality set in and I realized how much freakin' work that would be and opted out! 8O

I'll figure out somewhere to put those trolls! :? You keep it up Lex...and I'll send them over to haunt and bug you...ya know Trolls were invented to keep young and naughty children in line...well I know you're at least the latter! :P

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

I'd take a "great room" with cathedral ceiling and turn it into a "cathedral" for music and movies, which means installing a really powerful sub to substitute for the pipe organ. ... oh wait a minute... I've already done that.

Theme theaters are fun to visit, but I’m not sure I could live with one. I’m afraid looking at the “theme” décor everyday would be like going on the same ride over and over and over again at the amusement park. (What seems fun the first time around almost makes you toss your cookies a few times later.) A possible way around that, instead of building the entire room in the form of a jet cockpit or a bull fighting arena or whatever, would be to have unobtrusive wall mounts and highlight-lighting for “theme” décor items that could be put up and taken down like Christmas decorations – and then change the theme periodically when company comes over or have no theme at all.

With that in mind, if price were no object and I could build anything I wanted, it would probably be a steel-reinforced concrete bunker that would be storm (tornado, hurricane and flood) proof and bomb-proof with emergency life support systems and 30 day supply of food along, with the many years supply of movies and music already on hand... I'd include the easily changable decor wall mounts, add another row of Ekornes chairs (don't really like "theater seats"), update my projector and add some more elaborate lighting, but basically the rest would replicate what I already have -- my "fantasy" for an HT I can actually live with has pretty well been satisfied with my current system.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Uncle Clive
            Former Moderator
            • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
            bomb-proof with emergency life support systems and 30 day supply of food along, with the many years supply of movies and music already on hand...Burke
            30 day food supply but many years supply of movies and music....(cough)......very interesting Priorities, priorities!!

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
            CLIVE

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

I saw a webpage with pictures detailing a theater that was built as the deck of the Starship Enterprise. It was pretty neat.

One more aspect of TRULY themed theaters though is that you're narrowing down the appeal of your theater to less and less people. In the instance I just mentioned, you and some of your friends may be die-hard Trekkies, but others that would otherwise enjoy a home theater may be distracted by the particular decor you put in it. Affects resale value just that much more.

Me personally, I'm going to be personalizing my theater with a pseudo-theme of stars and space, to go with the name of the "Globe Theater", but am going to keep the decor generalized and muted. You're not going to find a hanging solar system in the room or anything that would be over the top.

As far as a dream theater, I'd have to go with a classic look of a movie and staged theater, on a small scale. Curtained sidewalls, ornate ceiling possibly with chandelier, wooden stage in front with small orchestra pit in front, etc. Oh, yes, and those cocktail waitresses I mentioned in my second magazine article serving bon-bons? You betcha.

CHRIS
              Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Uncle Clive
                30 day food supply but many years supply of movies and music....(cough)......very interesting Priorities, priorities!!
                The 30 day food supply should be enough to tide me over in case there is a disaster. (Remember, it's going tp be in a storm and bomb proof bunker). That part would be new and even in a disaster, I wouldn't want to eat food that had been in storage too long. I already have the several years supply of movies. I would not want to get rid of any of them just because I'm building a new home theater. That's a priority, for sure!

Burke

Comment

• efarstad
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jun 2001

Ok, so Clive wants a 747 theater, Burke wants a bomb shelter theme..okey dokey...David wants way too much...but we'll give him Bilbo's house cause that's unique....Lex is Bond, James Bond...so what Lex, just ladies hangin' around? :P And our buddy Chris wants a bon-bon girl theme! Mee thinks that's "code" for Bond theme too! :P

What else guys? Money no option..design your theme room!!!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                  E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                  E-Cinema

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                    • Sep 2001

Originally posted by efarstadt
                    Burke wants a bomb shelter theme..
                    That's not quite it... I would build my "dream" home theater inside a storm-and-bomb-proof bunker, but it would NOT have a "bomb-shelter theme", if by that, you mean the crowded, dank, uncomfortable basement-like holes-in-the-ground with unpainted concrete walls and a bare bulb hanging by a wire from the ceiling where people cower on benches listening to a radio with scratchy sound and fading reception like you've seen in WWII movies

Instead it would be a comfortable, well appointed HT much like the one I have now with high ceilings, Ekornes chairs on a carpeted floor, access to refreshments, provision for easy theme-decor changes on walls painted neutral colors, flexible lighting and a fairly high end A/V system. It would just happen to be housed in a structure that would safely allow the privileged occupants to safely ignore what was going on in the outside world while they enjoyed music and movies from a large selection that would take years to cover completely.

Comment

• efarstad
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jun 2001

Ok, Burke..I get the point...a bomb shelter with carpet...happy now?

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                      E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                      E-Cinema

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                        • Sep 2001

Originally posted by efarstadt
                        I get the point...a bomb shelter with carpet...happy now?
                        Downright ecstatic... you taking Ari Fleischer's job? :>)

Burke

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Clive would like to take an old jet plane and remodel the interior into a theater...what about you?
                          I had a pronto client that has a HT room that uses airplane seats (boeing 737 type) and the fixtures, windows and carpet etc all make the room look like an aircraft :? Not my cup of tea but interesting none the less.

Personally I'd rather keep mine more conservative and then add decorations that I can change at will as my likes and dislikes change over time. No doubt in a few years all my movie posters will change to Bambi, Snow white and other cartoons as Lauren grows up

As for the BagEnd theater that could be neat but I'd grow tired of always having to bend over so I didn't hit my head all the time

Comment

• efarstad
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jun 2001

Burke asked
                            ...you taking Ari Fleischer's job? :>)
                            Well, at this time there is no comment coming from the White House on that issue...next question?

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                            E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                            E-Cinema

Comment

• David Meek
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Actually guys, I was just throwing out ideas. I'm building the room I want (square footage thie only exception). Nice, understated, comfy and pleasant. A "theme" room would get old after a while and require replacing with another "theme". Sounds too much like work.

Having said that, a Rivendell room (Lord Of The Rings) would be awesome, but ONLY if Liv Tyler came with it.

David - HTGuide flunky
                              Our "Theater"
                              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                                Former Moderator
                                • Jan 2002

B & E Please be careful

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                                  Former Moderator
                                  • Jan 2002

How much change do we need to do over the years anyway? If we had the money wouldn't we have the best of the best in the first place, which means we wouldn't have to upgrade any time soon. I can still see posters being replaced, changes in seating arrangements and maybe a newer and better video display ie > CRT or DLP etc. I mean, when David and Efarsad finishes their theaters will you in the next year or so change the interior design again? So why would it be any different with a Theme theater. Just wondering

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Clive- I see your point, but no, we really don't have all the money to do a theater right the first time. I'm having to make sacrifices up front for cost, that if I get extra money in the future I'll want to either upgrade the existing theater in the same house with extra features like sconces, or build a whole new one if I go to another house.

CHRIS
                                    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

Good question Unc.

With a "theme" theater, at least as I envision it, it would be very cool but somewhat over-the-top - say a recreation of the Alamo. Yes, it would be cool, but at that point the room sorta takes over from the movie or the music and that's definitely what I don't want. Also, being that "involved" it would more than likely become too much of a good thing after a while, and at that point I'd want to change it. With the approach I'm taking (one like E's, and Chris' also) you have a VERY pleasant inviting room that isn't its own reason for existing (the movies and music are). Does that clarify things a little better?

David - HTGuide flunky
                                      Our "Theater"
                                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2001

If money and space were no object, I would have something out of the past. A really BIG movie palace, plush carpeting, drapes, balcony seats... you name it. Oh, yeah, the screen would be at least a 60 footer ( widescreen, of course) and I would likely be using a $200K 3 chip dlp projector.

I can dream, can't I ? :Z

My Homepage!
                                        My Homepage!

Comment

• efarstad
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jun 2001

Of course you can dream George...that's why I started this thread!

Money no object and if I had the space I'd build a replica of our 5th Ave. theater here in Seattle opened in 1926...ornate to the hilt...but mostly so my wife could play her harp on stage where's she's meant to! Then of course we could flip the lights and watch a flick too!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                          E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                          E-Cinema

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2001

Wow, that was some theater, E.

My Homepage!
                                            My Homepage!

Comment

• efarstad
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jun 2001

George: Being in the 5th Ave is like taking a walk back into time...it's very cool to see a show there! In the past 5 years or so millions were spent to renovate it and keep it as pristine as the day it opened in 1926! It's in this old brick building...its just neat!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                              E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                                              E-Cinema

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Jan 2001

Something like that would get me back to theater-going in a hurry. How I miss those cinema palaces of yesterday.

My Homepage!
                                                My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                                                😀
                                                😂
                                                🥰
                                                😘
                                                🤢
                                                😎
                                                😞
                                                😡
                                                👍
                                                👎
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"