X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Anybody added a room for HT space?

Curious. I've seen lots of modded basements, even bathroom HTs, (your laugh here), but don't recal anyone physically adding a room. That's right, I'm considering it! Well, I'm also considering selling out and moving, but I'm not real sure as to how likely that is to happen. Whether I could find what I want, and even if I could whether I could afford it, then sell my house here in time to get it, and then to move everything, ah chi wa wa. What a job.

It really wasn't my HT that got this line of thinking happening, it was my business. I've got to have more room for it, if it stays at the house. That or get a satellite location. There's advantages both ways, but right now, with my daughter here, it makes more sense for me to burn midnight oil here, and weekends, than out at another location. So, I'd be incorporating part of the edition with my back bedroom, open it up and make a shop out of that part. Then backing the great room would be the HT edition. I also considered making part of my great room part of the shop, creating a sitting area in front of the fireplace, and an entry to the HT. That just flips the shop part on the edition from one end to the other. Total, I think it would wind up 16 X 32 counting the shop,a bout 12 feet. 16 X 20 overall HT room. Thoughts?

Anyway, what kind of cost figures did you encounter, if anyone did this? Room size?

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • efarstad
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2001

Hey Lex! Sounds like a fun little project. I'd put your costs at about 10K for the entire addition (16x32). Could be more or less depending on how you decide to finish it and how much you do yourself. Remodels are not as much fun as new construction because of the mess you have to live in while doing it...but it's still "fun" in my book! :d

Let us know what you decide!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Thanks E. I don't think 10 grand will come close myself. Probably more like 25K. But I sure hope your right if I do it, lol. 50.00 a square foot is 25K. Remember, I don't have the room, so this isn't a straight remodel. This is new construction.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
      Doug

Comment

• efarstad
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2001

oooooohhhhhh, then yep...25K is definately more like it! ops: In fact....50/square is pretty cheap! When I built my house I did it around 70-75/square...so if you can pull of 50 you'll be doing great!! :T Plus I don't know how prices are in TN...good?

Either case...good luck and have fun!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Well, unless I run a water line for a concession stand, and sink drain, there will be no plumbing. Also, no heat and air unit built into costs. We will run a duct to current AC and heat system. My unit is big enough to handle it. So, those cost savings should help. Plus we have one wall already up, the current bricked exterior wall. So, you are talking 3 exterior walls. Lot lays pretty low, so that cuts down on foundation work. Plus, my builder of this house is a retired postal worker, lol. Actually, he did get a contractor's license after he finished my house. He's pretty good, just have to watch him on detail work, as he can tend to be a bit rough on woodwork and stuff. Typical I guess for a jack.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
          Doug

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Can I play?

Are you looking at a concrete slab foundation or pier-and-beam? Being an ex-carpenter, P&B is cheaper than slab for me, but you have inherently better HT/music related properties with a concrete slab, ie. greater load capability, no creaking (I hope!), no inconsistent echoing or varying reflective properties due to voids, insulation, joists, etc.

Remember square-footage costs on a house are generally higher than a single room addition due to the high costs (per foot) brought on by kitchens, bathrooms, cooling/heating systems and the like.

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Can I play? What took you so long? LOL.

I tend to think I will go stick built. I've never been a real fan of slab living. For one thing, moisture draw, carpets and pads last less time, general increase in humidity of room. Harder on your feet walking, as their's no give. Also, no access from below a big factor.

Yeah, the excluded from addition build list now:

No lot costs, since I own my land
              Heat Air unit and return
              Major plumbing
              kitchens
              bathrooms
              drive ways
              1 major wall,
              insulation for pre-built wall
              guttering one side
              porches

All those things come out of figuring new construction square foot costs thus saving dollars off the overall price per square foot, of something like 70-75 bucks a square for a typical whole house. Well, maybe that price.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
              Doug

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"