X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joey Millison
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Furniture/Layout of Dedicated HT Space

I mentioned this on the TTP and to several members outside of the forum, but I'm moving soon, December 8th to be exact, and will have a floor to myself. On this floor is a living room, approximately 11 feet wide by 22 feet 8 inches long. I want to have this be my dedicated room, but am having an extremely hard time finding the right furniture, and the right seating arrangement.
    My main goal is to be able to seat up to 8 comfortably, be it with couches, reclines, etc...
    If I were to post an image of the layout would it be possible to get it all worked out to where we could find the best solution? I'm hoping this is the right area to post in for this particular matter.

Joey
  • Joey Millison
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

blah blah blah

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

joey post that final image you showed me and see what the others think.

Comment

• Joey Millison
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Andrew,
        I got the actual measurements from the American Home Furniture Warehouse and it won't work, the couches on the sides cut into the speakers' way by a foot on each side

Comment

• Joey Millison
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Ok. I was talking to Thomas on the phone tonight and may have a good plan worked out. Here are some pictures to show you what I'm talking about visually:

Top view of layout with dimensions of room and everything labeled to show you what's what in the room.

Top view without descriptions.

Side view with 12'8" wall taken out to show how the couch looks on its 16" riser.

Perspective view, no textures or lighting have been added.

Problems:
          1) As you can see the 3 comfy chairs only have about a foot between them. I need to work out how people will get through there.
          2) The ten foot gap on the top left hand side of the theater. There's no doorway into here, it's basically just a large walkway. Accoustics are going to have to be altered.
          3) Sub placement if I spread out my speakers. It works nice in the corner, but if I have to spread out my speakers the main right speaker will have to take its physical space.

As things get more definite I'll render the room and add textures so it actually looks like a room, but for now I just have simple shapes representing objects. (ie my couch is not a big rectangular slab, heh)

Questions, comments, etc?

Thanks for any help I may receive!

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

First I'd suggest moving the equipment away from the high pressure zone created by the speakers. Put it behind the sofa and control it with an IR repeater. This will make more room to spread the speakers and is better for all the electronics.

At some point in time you may want to build a false wall and close off 2/3rds of the 10' opening. This would improve the sonics and make the space more "private"

theAudioWorx
            Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Pat
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

Ok Joey,
              Here is my idea...
              Remember I don't know acoustics from a hole in the ground but here goes

Myself I would flip the room arrangment so the speakers were as far away from the 10' opening as possible. It is hard to "pressurize a room with a big 10' opening right next to the speakers.

I would experiment with the 1/5 spacing I have read about in some HT magazines. I don't know if you saw them or not...but it has something to do with using 2/5, 3/5 and 4/5 spacings for seating.

With the dimensions you gave, that would place the speakers at 1/5 the length (approx. 4.5ft) away from the front wall. Then the seating would be up to you...start at 2/5 or 3/5
              Using 2/5 for the first row would be approx. 9'1"
              Using 3/5 for the second row would be approx. 13'7"

Using 3/5 for the first row would be approx. 13'7"
              Using 4/5 for the second row would be approx. 18'1"

Then from the side of the room it's the same rule.
              2/5 for the first seat would be approx. 4'5"
              3/5 for Joeys captians chair (approx. 6'7")
              4/5 for the 3rd seat - 8'10"

Now don't kill me if the math isn't exact...just a few quick calculations.
              I am also assuming the measurments are were the listeners head is located.

I like the idea that Thomas suggested about leaving the equipment behind you and away from the "pressure zone"

Anyway that's my suggestion use it however you think is right.

Pat's Page
              Pat's Page

Comment

• Lexman
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2000

Joey, something else you might consider is getting your mains outin front of the big screen component wall. Give them room to breath. This should assist in better stereo imaging.

Lex

Comment

• Joey Millison
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Here's a modified setup here. Components are behind the couch and speakers are spread out. I moved the sub a little but it will have to be moved somewhere else. How does it look, where should the sub go?
                  Thanks!
                  Joey

Comment

• Joey Millison
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Pat,
                    Not sure if I understand the spacing rule, is there an online version of the article you saw perhaps? Unfortunately I can't flip the room around since that back wall has something we all dread...a fireplace I wish I could, but it would screw everything up if I tried with a fireplace being there.
                    Thanks for everyone's tips

PS Thomas, could a "disposable" wall be built for the wall you recommend? Something that I don't have to do damage to the house to install?

Comment

• Pat
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2000

Joey, I'll do some digging and see if I can find the article.

Pat's Page
                      Pat's Page

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Joey

Yes the idea was for something that could just be pulled out and trashed when you leave. Still use 2X4's and drywall, but make it easily removable. It wouldn't be very difficult.

theAudioWorx
                        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Pat
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Aug 2000

Joey, the article is in the Oct. 2000 Stereophile Guide to Home Theater. It is titled "Sitting Pretty" and starts on pg. 58. (didn't have a chance to check for it online)

After re-reading the article, it looks like I need to change some of my "recommendations"
                          I'll try to get that done as soon as I have time.

Pat's Page
                          Pat's Page

Comment

• Lexman
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jun 2000

Just wanted to kick this thread back to the top, since it's now a current thread for this area, lol.

I know we keep playing forum games, but eventually we will leave well enough alone. I think this should be a fun section if we get it rolling.

Lex

Comment

• KennyG
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Sep 2000

Joey, your lastest layout looks pretty good, but, with a room that long, I'd try a couple things.
                              First don't nail your surrounds down yet, build some quick-n-dirty stands so you can test them in different spots, with a room 11" wide they're going to be right on top of the seating arrangement, they may end up working better slightly behind the couch, but only testing will tell. (depending on type of speaker, dipole, bipole, direct)
                              Second I'd think about moving your front sound stage and TV 2 or 3 feet farther out into the room (this means moving seating back also) The reason for this is mostly for the sub, this way you can get that monster back behind the sound stage, where is won't effect your mains. Also, mains usually respond well to being farther away from the walls (this means side walls too)
                              Kenny

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"