First order reflexion...................

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

First order reflexion...................

Question to all our "Tweaky Birds" out there on first order reflexion. How does it affect what we hear, how can it be curved or corrected. Someone told me I needed a mic and a mirror 8O I take it that's the easy part............... Is this true?

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
    CLIVE

• David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The mirror is just what you need to identify where your first order reflections. You sit in your "command" chair and have someone slide the mirror across the wall until you can see the front baffle of your main speaker in it. Mark that point as it is the "point of first reflection". Do this for both speakers on one wall and then repeat for the opposite wall. This'll point out where to put your acoustic treatment panel(s).

As far as using the mic for levelling the sound, how to do that will have to come from one of our sonic poobahs.
    ;x(

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Early reflections function as an additional 'sources' of the energy from the speakers. The reflected energy will combine with the direct radiating sound. The result can be a blurring or smearing of the sonics, since the reflected info is out of phase = time delay due to bouncing off the reflecting surface.

Comb filtering can also occur. This is where the out of phase reflected energy, combines with the in phase direct radiated energy and produces a null or nulls. This results in a frequency response plot with holes (nulls) that looks like the teeth of a comb (hence the name)

Early reflection (mirror) tests should include the floor if not carpeted, the ceiling, and the side walls.

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Oh, good point about the ceiling and floor Thomas. Thinking horizontally and not vertically.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Yes, the ceiling is usually the most forgotten about surface. Treatment panels can get interesting, and expensive. Some companies do make aesthetically pleasing panels that work, also, but you can do something as little as adding a bookshelf or a carpet covered board to make small improvements.

CHRIS
          Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• justin
            • Feb 2003

I found a good book on this subject. The master handbook of acoustics by F. Alton Everest. Alot of interesting reading in there.

jus

Jus

Taking it one day at a time. Life moves quick.
            Jus

Taking it one day at a time. Life moves quick.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

The laser pointer that you confiscated from unruly teenagers at the movie theater :>) works well instead of a mirror. Turn it on and hold it against the front baffle of the speaker pointing toward the nearest wall, and wherever the beam hits the wall is where those pesky first order reflections are bouncing from.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                Former Moderator
                • Jan 2002

Should work well, Thanks Burk. Easier to use too!

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"