How did you enter the custom installers field?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

How did you enter the custom installers field?

I've been slowly getting more and more invloved with home theaters and am nearly finished build my own. As this "hobby" is quickly becoming something I could see myself doing how does one take it to the next level? I've been custom programming pronto's for a few years now but I'm considering trying to move into the actual install field as well...thoughts?

• cmo
    • Jan 2003

Thanks for your email Andrew, just picked it up.

The forum looks interesting and I will keep an eye on it.

Chris

Comment

• Mats
      Special Member
      • Jun 2000

I started in audio as a DJ in New York City.

I now run my own company in Phoenix, Arizona.

I was working as an electrician since 93 but I was always an audiophile. I found a job as an installer at a local company but it lasted two years. After wanting to be one of the top guys there it soon became obvious that this place was very inexperienced. When I tried to talk to the owner about some problems we are having as installers it went in one ear and out the other. This was after new mangement had come in after the initial manager hired me previously left to go to work at SUNFIRE (CARVER). He was laid off from there after six months and is now at another local company as an installer. Well I was told; "it was best to let me go because I was not happy" and I turned my "side jobs" into a real full time company. Granted I am still struggling but it’s starting to happen. I used to build speakers for a Pro Audio Shop in New York and as a part of my company I build hi quality home theater speakers as well as sell several other brands.

So one and so fourth. As time on here goes on you will get to see what VR AUDIO SYSTEMS is all about.

"You think that when you die you go to heaven, You come to us"

Phantasm...
      Mats
      Mats Strömberg
      Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
      Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

• Rmirabal
        • Jan 2003

I started out as an apprentice installing C-band dishes for a mom & pop shop here in Vegas. I quickly moved my way up the ladder over a two year span and ended up running the Home Theater Delivery and Installation Dept.

When a newcustom high end shop opened here I jumped on the opportunity. I was fortunate that the owner was not shy about spending money on training. We dealt with great products such as: Elan, Crestron, Meridian, Marantz, Vidikron, Faroudjia, SpeakerCraft, and Monitor Audio. Unfortunatly the business went under after three and a half years.

Five years later, I now run the installation dept for a local low voltage contractor. We mostly cater to a major tract home builder here in Vegas. It's amazing how more and more builders see the advantage of selling "smart homes". The good news is their's still plenty of desert left here to build on!

Rmirabal 8)

Comment

• LoVoltage
          • Jan 2003

Well, I was a former automotive electronics and driveability technician for around 12 years before formally entering the field. howevfer, I started in electronics at the ripe old age of 7 years old, repairing a telephone that my mom broke, and it's been a love affair ever since. Being mainly an electronics and computer geek for my entire life, audio was a natural, as was video. I got my first taste of this business at my sister's house, hooking up her new surround sound system about 25 years ago (basically 4 speakers run off a receiver) when i was in home audio sales at a local stereo shop (Sound Trek - for those in the know) selling mainly Carver and (the then great) Sansui systems, and doing "installs" on the side with a fellow salesman.

Currently I am a Systems Integrator/Installations Manager, doing mainly whole house systems integration, and smart house technologies (from many, come one!) home theaters, and whole house audio systems.

Enjoying what you do in life for a living is never "working" a day!

Merging Technology with Today's Lifestyles!

- LoVoltage
          Merging Technology with Today's Lifestyles!

- LoVoltage

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Hey, interesting history folks!

Lovoltage, I believe that as well, if you enjoy what you do, it's not like work. now, if I could just move mine to the day spot. :roll:

Welcome all!

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Well, being a guy who put his home theater together all by his lonesome and being one who was adventurous enough to learn how to install his own CRT projector ( I had no choice, since the place I bought it from knew diddly squat about setting up a PJ), it will be a real pleasure to hear how the pros deal with things. Hopefully HT Guide members will dial in here to pose questions to the pros, so we can all learn something new.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"