• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • efarstad
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2001

Fabric on walls

In chatting with Mr. Pratt, , he helped remind of the following:

I'm going to be covering my soundboard with 'fabric" to make it look purty. I originally thought I'd get some indoor/outdoor carpet and cover it and call it good. I don't know if because it has a "rubber backing" if it will hinder the soundboard from working as it should. I don't want to spend the bucks on gilford of maine fabric but was thinking of buying some nice cotton fabric that has a loose weave to allow the sound through...make sense?

Watcha think?

Thanks guys!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
    E-Cinema
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

As you know I've got acoustic insualtion on the bottom half of my walls and indoor/outdoor carpet on the top half and it works very well to cut down reflected noise..maybe even too well since my room is pretty dead sounding. Anything you place over the sound paneling will have an effect on the sound absorbtion, how much depends on the fabic and the freq you're talking about. Obviously a really thin cloth isn't going to have much of an effect on the lower freq's but it could on the higher freq's....so it boils down to what purpose is this sound panel supposed to have in your design? All that said GoM is hailed as the de facto standard to cover these insulation products but I'm sure that you'd be able to find a cheaper sol'n locally if you take the time to look. Also depending on importing costs I was able to order a 20 foot long roll of 68" tall speaker grill fabric from Solen for $75 cdn so that might be an option as well. Maybe check with madisound to see what their prices are like for grill cloth.

Comment

• efarstad
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2001

I think I'll be ok with my cotton fabric, I just found this site: http://www.novawall.com/fabric.html#local-top

First of all it says: Sound transmission is restricted through fabrics that have an acrylic backing, thus limiting the effectiveness of the sound absorbing core.

But then: Natural Fibers; e.g., Cotton, Wool, Silk, can generally be used in all applications. These fabrics may require a stabilizing treatment for vertical application to reduce sagging potential.

Novawall makes sound panels for ceilings and walls so I think they know what they're talking about!

Well unless something else comes up...that's my plan...cotton fabric!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
      E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
      E-Cinema

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"