X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

Need your Ideas..........

I am fresh out. When my RPTV arrives, I will have to get rid of the stand that is shown in my Album (Galleries). Now, my wife and I agree that buying one of those RPTV wall units is too heavy (Big) for the room. However, my pics shown, does not show the 4 single recliners we've purchased. So here it is. The loveseat (couch) shown + 4 recliners + RPTV + 2 tower speakers + Sub ++++!!

My thoughts: -
    1) Buying a new gear racks which has to hold 1,2 or even 3 more amps.
    2) Build a platform for the RPTV and the speakers in an "M" shape.

So then...........
    3) Build a platform to raise the loveseat a little further back and place the 4 recliners in front.

But where to place the gear rack so that the room does not look like a "Gear Room" Same question for media rack, games table etc?

If you don't mind...........look at the pics and then give up some ideas. Need to start working on this.

Thanx

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
    CLIVE

• David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Clive,

A few questions:

1) Can you recess the equipment rack into the wall? That's what I'm doing, and I believe Andrew did in his basement theater (you can see as-is and will-be diagrams of our room in the Gallery). You could then put a dark glass door on the rack and presto! no "great room of gear" effect.

2) Are you wanting to keep the axis of the room the same? Ie. does the RPTV (Congratulations!) have to go where the old TV currently is?

3) What are your room dimensions?

4) Do you have a room diagram we can look at?

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Uncle Clive
      Former Moderator
      • Jan 2002

David also, Pls check your Email thanks.

To answer your questions,

1) Under the stairwell is our pantry. Now, I could move the pantry to another location easily, but, right smack in the middle, to the right of the wall switches, is a support beam for the stairs and each side is 6" too shallow to even squeeze the gear in. The other side believe it or not (where the red wicker is) is the garage it's all concrete behind the wall.

2) Re: axis.
      The layout of the room the way it is, gave us enough space to divide the room so that the games area could be over the far left under the track lights and the chit chat area imediately in front of the stairs. I feel that if we turn the whole room facing the window that we may lose the family room feel. But, that would give us the opportunity to place the gear rack/s beside the pantry door :idea: So as long as it doesn't make the room look like a Ded....ed theater, we don't mind.

3)Dimentions:
      21 x 12 add 2ft depth on the leftside by the window.

4)Room diagram? Hum err..sure, let's work on that.

Of course we are looking at listing the house next year or there abouts. My wife and I were discussing the reason we wanted to buy a bigger home. Beats me, I thought that " To fit our home theater in" was a good enough reason. Anyway for now a nice tidy spot would be of great help until then.

Thanx.

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• P-Dub
        Office Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Looking at the pictures I think you've got a pretty interesting challenge.

How big is your RPTV? Did you pick a brand and model yet? I'm just going to say you're getting a 50" set, that's pretty much the standard.

Now with 4 recliners those are going upfront for sure?

Are you keeping the 2 red chairs that are off to the side and the one red chair on the other side?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is sight lines first. Most newer RPTV's are pretty good, but the one red chair off to the side won't give a very good view.

Do you have enough room to put your new TV, coffee table, and a second row of seating? It looks kinda cramped in the picture, but looks doable with a riser for the couch at the back.

So on to where to put the gear. One suggestion is to place it in racks infront of your new TV. Check out Lex's gear in front of his set. You can easily purchase individual racks that can be stackable later or just keep them infront.

Another idea is to put a rack where that one red chair is on the right. I think you've got enough room there for a rack. It'll be out of the way enough, but not out of reach of most remotes.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
        Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Uncle Clive
          Former Moderator
          • Jan 2002

Thanks Paul. All the schairs except the couch can go. The two brown chairs over the corner actually belong in my office upstairs. Everything else can be moved or removed. Sorry Lex, but I am not fond of the gear being in-front in that fashion at least it wouldn't work for us............(space). The one place I think would be great is by the wicker chair. I have a repeater.

This for you too David and others, another reason I wanted to build a platform for the RPTV is so that I could insert the cable box into the bottom and two others........Nintendo64 and Xbox :idea: A Good idea you think? So we can just plug the gamepads into the front when needed eh!?

The size RPTV will be 53"................ coffee table can go. Although that tabletop can be pulled upwards to chest level to enjoy snacks and/or to read without bending downwards. It retracks to the level you see in the pics. It's a really good feature. But if it has to go, it has to go!

Actually Paul, it's not cramped at all, We fit 15 to 20 seats on movie and pizza nights and still have walk-around space. It's easy fit two rows if the couch is pulled back near to the back table.
          More Thoughts?

Respond;

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I wanted to build a platform for the RPTV . . . A Good idea you think?

A low platform, say 10-12" high might be a good thing for storage, but any more than that and you could get to the point the front row viewers will be looking up at an uncomfortable angle. However, if you are going with elevated seating behind the front row, the low platform could work to your advantage there, too.

P.S. Late Saturday morning (10-ish) would be good or almost any time Sunday. :Z

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Uncle Clive
              Former Moderator
              • Jan 2002

David, let's get together on Sunday, it's best for me...........Noon-ish

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Sounds good. 8)

David - HTGuide flunky
                Our "Theater"
                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                  Former Moderator
                  • Jan 2002

Hi gang, David Meek has now placed a layout of my HT in HIS gallery.

This way we can see what we have to work with. Remember the room is 21 x 15 by the stairs and 21 x 17 by the games table area.

Thanks David was nice talking with ya' also :T

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

My pleasure Clive! Jen want's to come to Toronto and experience some of "the master's" cooking! :T

Here's Clive's room:

David - HTGuide flunky
                    Our "Theater"
                    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"