X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

French Doors

Our dedicated (:B sorry Lex) HT room's entry is a 94" high x 63" wide opening on it's left side. I've managed to balance the soundstage in spite of this big hole, but have been wanting to put something there to stop noise coming in and movie sountracks and music going out.

Well, Jenice and I were at an antique emporium this Sunday and stumbled across a set of (brand new) beautiful mahogany French doors and sidelights. To make a long story short, we now own these suckers. They are being stripped, sanded, conditioned and stained. When they are finished in about 4-5 weeks I'll be building the frames and a transom above the doors (hmmm, maybe a DIY thread?) and hanging everything. The tough part is going to be matching the transom glass to that in the door/sidelights.

More to come. . .

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

David --

The French doors will be a really nice addition to the room. Sounds like you got a real bargain, there too. Since you are doing this DIY, be careful hefting those babies around! :>)

Do you anticipate having to compensate for sound reflections from the glass in the doors and side panels? (Or maybe the point will be moot if you plan to cover them for light control purposes with some kind of material that also has some sound absorbtion properties.) And what will this do to the AC for the room? Will you need a dedicated :>) special unit to compensate for lack of free flowing ventilation since tha large open "door" area will now be enclosed?

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Sounds nice, David, but like Burke said, be careful of hurting yourself. Good luck with the project.
      George

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Burke
        Do you anticipate having to compensate for sound reflections from the glass in the doors and side panels? (Or maybe the point will be moot if you plan to cover them for light control purposes with some kind of material that also has some sound absorbtion properties.) And what will this do to the AC for the room?

Good questions. I'll have curtains made that will go on the door and sidelights. They'll be double-layered with an opaque liner for light control which will also help to break up/absorb sounds. AC-wise I don't think I'll have problems as this room is a bit smaller than the dedicated :B HT room at the old house and has a similar duct size, but a ceiling fan will help circulate air and also, I could make the transom "openable". Although, with that option I'll have to be careful not to introduce any rattles.

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

I am gonna get you guys a dedicated room at Bellview if you don't give it a rest, lol.

Sounds like a nice addition to the room!

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Just a status report. We're still waiting on the doors and sidelights to be completed - staining and sealing, etc.

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"