X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

My new HT room

The pictures turned out really dark since I don't have enough lighting in there but I'll have to see about bringing in some high power light when I'm ready for the final photo shoot The room is 23 feet long by 12 feet wide and is 7 feet to the drop down ceiling tiles (another 7" or so above that filled with fiberglass insulation) The top half of the walls are covered in an indoor/outdoor carpet that was glued on with carpet glue. The bottom half of the room (36" to be exact) is covered with 1" thick layer of Johns Mansville Permacote Linacoustic which is very similar to Insushield. There are four wall scones installed that I picked up from Ikea and are controlled by a lutron spacer. The gear will consit of a 7.1 speaker congif using Magnepan speakers powered by a Musical Fidelity amp & HK PA5800 5 channel amp. I'm waiting for the outlaw pre amp for my processing. Anyway onto the pics so far.

The before pic. This is what the basement looked like before we moved into the new house. The room was 34 feet long (can anyone say bowling alley!)

The after pics...First thing I did was build a wall with a door to divide the rec room into two seperate rooms. The office is now at the base of the stairs and the HT room is on the other side of the door.

Sorry this is so grainy...too dark to take a good pic.

Here's we are looking at the back of the room. Sorry about the mess on the futon...those are the CD jewel cases from the draws and the black mass are the curtains that will go behind the TV and speakers.

Here were are looking at the gear rack. On the left you can barely see the three draws that will house my DVD collection. On top on these draws the CD jukebox and turntable will sit. On the other side there will be the pre amp, DVD player, VCR and the DSS. I think I'll build another three draws below that to hold CD jewel cases and odds and sods etc.

• Markj
    • Aug 2000

Thanks for sharing your pictures Andrew. Are you planning on an FP? Add a few more speakers and you would have a Maggie wall.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Looking good, Andrew.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Mark FP is a posibility in the future but for now the RPTV will have to do. ITs funny in the old apartment the 50" toshiba looked huge...now it looks rather small LOL

As for a wall of maggies with the 1.4's and the MMG centre that's pretty much what I have now...at least it sounds like it since there's a seemless front soundstage with those speakers....now where's my outlaw?

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Great job Andrew! Looking good.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Way to go Andrew! When your done, you can come and build me one. One catch, have to start from the ground up! LOL.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Doug starting from the ground up would be easier in many respects since you wouldn't have to fit things into the existing room but get to place things optimally. There's not much really wrong with the room I have now but there are a few things I wish I could change...one would be the location of the door...I should have put it right in the middle of the wall instead of offset a bit...this would have made positioning the rears easier but it would have messed up my plans for the office on the other side of the wall...life is full of comprimises Actually truth be told I didn't think I'd be going to 7.1 in the room but stay with 6.1...I should have known I'd be at 7.1 WAY before I thought it would happen LOL

I should also take some new pics since on saturday I managed to get the rears hung, the centre suspended and the gear rack nearly finished. I now have two doors on the back of the rack that I can open and gain access to the back of the gear rack. I added 8" of extra space between the back of the rack and the doors so I now have lots of space to work with back there to properly route cables. I also have now installed one of the two 20 amp power lines that terminate inside the rack. The only thing left to do on the rack is to figure out how I'm going to run the speaker cables into the rack in a reasonably air tight manner given that the IB sub will be located right beside it. Speaking of which the two tempest drivers arrived on friday

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"