X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Magnepan's in home theaters...

It seems there's a number of users on this forum that are rather fond of using maggies in their home theaters, myself included. I have had a number of people email me askig my oppinion on their benefits, drawback and the like so I thought I'd start a thread on the subject.

My introduction to planner speakers came a few years ago when I was looking for a more musical speaker to replace my Energy C-2 bookself speaker. I was looking at the DIY kits and asked ThomasW for some help in suggesting a suitable kit. Well one of the paths he suggested was for me to try a pair of magnepan MMG's and see how I liked those. Well of course anyone who's tried a pair can atest to once bitten you'll never look at speakers the same way again. So I kept those as my mains for a while before looking to upgrade once again. This time I found a great deal on a pair of 1.4's which are now my mains moving the MMG's to the rear duty. After that the centre speaker was the only non planner speaker in the system so I bought a set of SMGa's which are now my rears and I'm using a single MMG as my centre speaker.

So now that you have some history of where I came from lets move onto why I like maggies Well there's the obvious merits of planners for music given their airy sound but how do they do for movie sound tracks? Well IMO maggies are some of the best speakers I've heard for reproducing subtle details. This is evident when you hear maggies being used as rear speakers. There's often a lot of ambience being sent to the rears and maggies have an uncanny ability to generate a truely enveloping sense of "space" behind you. I've found a few movies where things like crowd scenes or bird chips etc can be down right spooky on maggies! Magnepans also do voices very clearly which is a great benefit for the centre channel. I've come to really enjoy dialog through my MMG.

So if maggies are so great why don't we all use them? Well they don't come without some potential draw backs. First off maggies are not effiecent speakers. They are rated around 84 dB/2.83 volt into 4 ohms. Now this is fairly low but its a benign load given that the resistance to the amp does not change with respect to the frequency being played unlike conventional speaker or Martin Logan's that can dip into the 2 ohm range. I'd say all seperate power amps and better receivers should be able to push maggies but my Denon 3300 was running out of steam when I asked it to power all my maggies. My solution was to add a seperate power amp which really helpped open things up. You don't need to spend a ton on a seperate amp since even the $300 (used) HKPA5800 will do nicely.

Another potential draw back is size. Simply put maggies are large panel speakers that might not suit smaller rooms. Now given you can get a wide range of grill covers and trim colous this helps but its hard to hide 6 foot tall maggie's :LOL: That said in dedicated rooms you can do a lot to make them dissapear into the room by going with a solid black grill cloth and using black drapes etc behind them.

You'll tend to hear a lot about how difficult it is to properly place maggies in the room and that they require tons of breathing room around them to sound properly. IMO while its partially true that they do require breathing room so do all quality speakers. Maggies being dipole also radiate in a figure "8" pattern so side wall reflections are less of a concern then conventional speakers which may or may not be a help in narrow rooms like mine. I plan on suspending my mains and centre from the ceiling with a solid black curtain behind them so from the seats they will barely be visible. The rears will either be suspended as well or mounted on the walls with hinges which leaves me with more room behind the listening area for the enterance way etc.

Ok so I've blabbed on long enough lets hear from the other maggie fans...come on burke, david and thomas share your thoughts.

• Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

For several years, I enjoyed a pair of bipolar towers as my front main speakers. After listening to demos of various other speakers, I would come home and listen to the same program material and assure myself that I didn’t need to upgrade, except perhaps to augment the deepest bass. So I added a Velodyne FSR-18 subwoofer to really punch up the LFE. I thought I was in sonic heaven.

Until I experienced a movie soundtrack demo of Martin Logan Requests (and other models) in a surround system at a dealer. That got me started on the upgrade path again for speakers. But upon listening to a variety of speakers, I decided that my main interest was in optimizing two channel music, since I still had a killer surround system for movies. One day when I was at the dealer, waiting for a Rega turntable demo, I spent the waiting time listening to Magnepan speakers. First they had the MG 1.6s set up. I had read a lot of good press on these, and with my demo CDs, they sounded really good. Then the dealer needed to “borrow the room” to audition a pair of tiny monitor speakers for a high roller from out of town and disconnected the Maggies. When Mr. “I- can-evaluate-these-speakers-with-twenty-or-so-5-second-sound-bites” left, the dealer asked me which Maggies I wanted to have connected, and I went for the 3.6s to check out the difference. He positioned them in the best spot and hooked them up, then put on a CD. Viva la difference! While I had enjoyed the 1.6s, these 3.6s absolutely made my jaw drop. At first I had to ask – where are the speakers? :>) They “disappeared” and let the music fill the space in the room without calling any attention to themselves. I could close my eyes and sense that the performers were in the room. There was a palpable sense of space that transcended the planes of the speakers and presented a holographic sound image that I knew was superior to any I had experienced with other speakers.

I came back another day with a larger stack of demo material when I was getting the cartridge installed in the Rega and was joined by several others who also had their own demo material and were very serious about the Maggies. It didn’t take much more listening to convince myself these were “it”. But the bad news was that the wait on these was 14 weeks. Yikes! But I discovered that the dealer had a pair in their shipping area that had been delivered in the wrong finish and were to be returned to the factory. I would have ordered that exact finish, and so I asked if I could buy them instead. So I waited just a few days until they could arrange delivery to my home and setup by their staff. In the mean time I re-auditioned a few other speakers that had been in the running and confirmed that the Maggies were, indeed, “it”. And after we had set them up in a totally separate system from my movie sound system (but collocated in the same room) and played a few demo tracks, the dealer suggested that at some point I should try the Maggies with a movie as well as enjoy them for music. I did that and decided to merge my equipment into one unified system again.

Placement of the speakers in the room wasn’t an issue for me. I had decided beforehand that I would adapt my room layout to accommodate them, if need be, rather than make compromises in positioning that would negatively affect the sound. But when the dealer helped me set them up, his recommended “beginning position” was approximately where my old speakers had been, so there was no major layout adjustment needed. (For full disclosure, remember that the preceding pair had been bipolar towers so they were already positioned way out into the room away from both the front and side walls.) :>)

Also since I have painted the front wall matte black, the black-on-black color scheme makes the Maggies disappear as effectively visually as they do sonically.

Maggies deserve to be driven with the best amplification available. But they will work well with the best you can afford. :>) I found that I could get acceptable results with them being driven by an old Acurus amp, even though it was not a wattage powerhouse. I realized that even the best of my electronics, while not shabby, were not in the same league as the Maggies (based on hearing the same model at the dealer with “upgraded” electronics and realizing the Maggies had still more to offer me) So a year later I moved my Acurus to surround duty and stepped up to the incomparable BEL (Brown Electronics Lab) 1001 Mk V power amplifier, which, arguably, IS "the best available". It is the perfect match for the Maggies. And taking that last step, moving from the front end of a receiver as pre/pro to a high-end separate pre/pro brings the system to an even more refined level, with the Maggies now revealing even more detail and space in its awesome soundstage.

Are there other fine speakers out there? Of course, there are. I’ve heard and enjoyed many of them. Would I want any of those instead of Maggies? If I did, that’s what I’d have!

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Burke just wait till you get maggies for your rear's and centre as well. You haven't heard realism in your surrounds till you've heard them through maggies

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Andrew -

For the sake of brevity :>) I didn't mention that I bought a Magnepan MGCC1 center at the same time I bought the BEL amp. It is an astonishingly capable speaker in its own right. However, I am still "making do" with a couple of bipolar towers for surrounds. :>) I have heard demos of Maggie surrounds at the dealer and in a private home and agree that they are marvelous. But the bipoles which I am using have the distinct advantage of having already been paid for. :>)

Burke

Comment

• Markj
          • Aug 2000

Andrew or Burke have you compared Maggies with other ribbon speakers. I am wondering if you guys happen to have listened to Apogee speakers. Now that Apogee is gone I will some day need to replace what I have. And also have you guy heard any dynamic speakers that sounded close to planners? Hopefully my Apogee speaker have a lot of years of use still in them.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Unfortunatly I haven't been able to hear Apogees though I know thomas has lots of experince with maggies and I believe he's heard Apogee's as well at a friends place?

The Monitor Audio gold's were very nice speakers and so far are one of the few conventional speakers I've heard that I really liked. Obviously there are a lot of the higher priced speakers that I haven't heard nor even seen so I reserve judgement on those

Comment

• Markj
              • Aug 2000

Andrew if you ever want to get out of the snow and come to warm sunny southern California you have an open invitation to come and hear my Apogees.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                • Sep 2001

I have not had the opportunity to audition any Apogees.

The closest I've heard to the planar sound in a non-planar speaker is the Vandersteen 5s. But they are considerably more expensive than the MG 3.6s, and only trump the Maggies (when used by themselves) on very deep bass. (With a high quality subwoofer properly integrated into the system with the Maggies, that "edge" disappears.) Otherwise, I actually prefer the clear sound and seamless integration of the upper bass, mids and highs of the Maggies. The Vandies do project a very nice "out-of-box" soundstage similar to the planars.

Burke

Comment

• Markj
                  • Aug 2000

Thanks Burke for the info. I guess I need to audition a pair of Maggies. My invitation extends to you too Burke. My wife complains about the height of my Apogees but she likes the sound. She must, if she allows four monoliths in the family room. Just for kicks I have been listening to cone speakers and have found some that I like but they usually costs over ten grand. The 3.6 seem like a bargain.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"