X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

Chairs, Cheers and more Chairs!!

I have a leather love seat and a few mixed matched chairs in our HT area. I am using a small round conference table in the back corner of the room this is where we'd play games or do some reading. Around the table at the moment I am using folding padded chairs. All these chairs IMO gets uncomfortable if watching a movie 1-2 hours. What type of chairs would you recomend that will not take up too much space but are light, comfy and moderately priced? I have been thinking about using tub guest chairs and making small low round tables out of something????and placing two chairs to each table randomly around the entire floor space.
    Any ideas?

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
    CLIVE

• Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

have you considered these from Ikea?

Poang

These are very comfortable chairs, come in a variety of colours (and leather), last for a long time, are light, and at $200 each nicely priced. Ikea also has a slightly cheaper version of this chair thats $149...all prices are in canuck bucks.

Comment

• Uncle Clive
      Former Moderator
      • Jan 2002

Andrew, my wife and I looked at these and after 25 minutes (By this time someone called security ops: ) she was not sure we wanted that look......and I being 240 lbs of pure muscles 8O thought I'd break the darn things........yes I'd reconsider them.

You mentioned/showed a leather version.........we'll go back and look at this tomorrow the leather would probably work here great idea, excellent pricing.

Thanks Andrew

Susan, still here!?

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

The leather onese are a little more money but look great. As far as breaking them did you not see the machine they have that's pounding on those chairs all day long? My father in law isn't far behind you in size and they've had their chairs for almost 10 years. I was all set to get these for my new room until I found the sweet deal I did on the couch chairs...still the Ikea one's are more comfortable and you can get the matching ottoman's.

Comment

• Bob
          • Jul 2000

Our family went through several attempts at getting the seating right. In fact, I have done more upgrading in this area than any other part of my HT. It really is hard to find something that you can sit on for hours and not start feeling restless. We started out with a down filled leather loveseat and two down filled leather chairs, with three ottomans. I liked them, my wife and daughter didn't. Then we sold them and my wife found a down filled couch with a equally long ottoman. My wife and daughter liked to lay on this and watch TV. The thing was so big that with the ottoman pushed up to it my daughter and her friends would use it as a large bed for sleepovers. I found it very uncomfortable because I like to rest my arms on something, which makes chairs more comfortable to me. Then we went to 4 leather recliners. They fullfilled my wifes and daughters desire to be in a horizontal position. I still wasn't comfortable. So, we sold 2 of the chairs and I bought a Eames lounge chair and matching ottoman. I'm afraid it doesn't fit into the moderate price range but, wow, what comfort. The original Eames chair was designed for a famous Hollywood director and was made out of molded rosewood, if you really want to spend a fortune you can find originals at auction sites. Or, you can get the modern day equivelant made from molded walnut. It is a chair you can sit in for hours, reading, or listening to music, or watching movies. Price is around $3000.
          Here is a quote from one of the web sites that sells the Eames chair,"
          [product image]

Eames Lounge Chair And Ottoman
          When Charles Eames introduced this now-famous chair in 1956, he set out simply to build a chair with the warm receptive look of a well-used first baseman's mitt. A modest goal for a chair and ottoman that are now part of the permanent collection of New York's Museum of Modern Art. The first lounge chair was a birthday gift for friend Billy Wilder, the Academy Award-winning film director. It is most likely the only chair to have a public debut on national television (the 'Today Show'). Often copied but never duplicated, this exceptionally comfortable chair is equally suited to the office as well as the home. The handcrafted construction assures that it will be around for decades to come. Having set an international reference point for comfort and a simplicity in contemporary design, it is indisputably the archetype of the modern classic. The Eames Chair and Ottoman are covered in supple, top-grain leather. The cushions are six inches thick. A precision-built swivel mechanism in the chair makes for smooth movement. Cherry veneer with black leather.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

The Eames Chair

is a pleasure to look at (like modern sculpture) and a joy to sit in. But they are expensive... especially if you plan on seating more people than just yourself. :>) A differently styled (but still quite nice looking -- and several modern styles are available in different wood finishes and leather colors) and equally comfortable (at least to my back and butt) :>) but more affordable (still not cheap) alternative is the Ekornes Stresless Reciliner, or their Siesta side chairs.

Enjoy!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Uncle Clive
              Former Moderator
              • Jan 2002

WOW!! Now these look like they have good lumbar and neck support! If I am not mistaken, I've seen these (or a version of........)
              in a store window in metro and also I think the ideas here are really helping. Now I may not be mentally ready to out-put $3000.00 on a single chair at this time but the styling is attractive my wife is beside me looking at this and......aand....... there we go........we agree that this look will work I think we'er definately getting closer to the look we could use , Now how do I get her to pay for all four Hmmmmm!?

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• cinemax
                • Mar 2002

The Eames Chair is a great chair!
                My parents have 2 of them and they are very comfy.
                But also very expensive!

See my theater Cinemax!

The Cinemax Home Theater
                See my theater Cinemax!

The Cinemax Home Theater

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I just know Burke is getting tired of me posting this after his chair posts.

Clive, you might want to consider the Lane Broadway line of recliners/ottomans.

I've got three in my HT room and they are awesomely comfortable. You can generally get them for around $900-1,000 US (each, with the ottoman).

David - HTGuide flunky
                  Our "Theater"
                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                    Former Moderator
                    • Jan 2002

Thanks to you too David, Cheers!!

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• Susan
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

wow..you guys have really run the gamut from low end to high end..but those Broadways look great.

I have not been happy with my reclining loveseat. It seems Homo Sapiens goes into sleep mode once his feet are above his head, hence hub hasn't seen a complete movie since i bought the recliner last August. I have decided that you need good, comfortable chairs, not flat surfaces nor recliining chairs, for a successful movie environment. The Broadway's would at least keep the head inan upward position..a "good thing" (sorry..had to sneak in that nauseous phrase of Martha's..)
                      Susan

Comment

• Uncle Clive
                        Former Moderator
                        • Jan 2002

Susan there you are!!

The broadways do look yummy...........but........why would you not recommend recliners? You said.............

CLIVE

CLIVE

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Martha - I mean Susan
                          The Broadway's would at least keep the head in an upward position

Susan, I guarantee that in the Broadways, no matter how gymnastically inclined someone is (unless you sit in them completely upside-down), your head won't wind up lower than your feet.

David - HTGuide flunky
                          Our "Theater"
                          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"