X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hanging speakers?

I know thomas has done this for his rears but I was wondering about my soon to be built HT room and my maggies. What I was thinking is why not hang all the speakers upsidedown from the ceiling so they would be isolated from the walls and secondly I wouldn't have to have cables running across the floor (they'll be hidden in the false ceiling....thoughts?

• David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Andrew, I used that approach for my rear center channel speakers in our HT room in our old house. This photo shows the arrangement. Admittedly the VRS Pros aren't the same size as the Maggies, but the arrangement worked well for me.

- David -

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Andrew

Some people feel that hanging Maggies messes up the sound. Not as much bass reinforcement off the drywall ceiling as there is from a more solid floor. However I haven't found any problems with my upside down MMGs used as rears.

Currently they're literally just hung like a picture frame. Single wire in a "V" attached to one of the metal feet mounting screws on each side. The finished product will be a short piece of small chain attached to hooks in a ceiling joist and again into the mounting screws on the back of the MMG's.

Since the load is static vs dynamic, there isn't a great need for a lot of holding power. So lighter hardware is sufficient depending on the weight of the speaker

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Thanks thomas I might just have to give it a try and see how it goes...it would certianly clean up the install

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"