X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Susan
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Let's Talk Window Coverings!

One important and often overlooked aspect of any Home Theater, be it in a multi-purpose room or a dedicated room, are the window coverings. We all know ambient light can destroy projected or RPTV contrast, but many find it objectionable even with direct-view. The marketplace has changed dramatically in the offerings in the window treatment arena in the last ten years...so much so that there is an appropriate treatment for ANY light opening, and they are no longer limited to drapes, drapes, drapes. There are a plethora of window shadings that will range from sheer to opague, manual to electric, inexpensively priced to extremely expensive. While many of these shadings and blinds are quite efficient, one has to keep in mind the accoustical benefits of adding textiles to the Home Theater room. As the sound waves are bouncing too and fro, so bounces distortion. Provide absorptive surfaces in the proper percentage and you will enjoy the accoustics of the room and have less hearing "fatigue". Textiles also will soften the appearance of the architectural elements in your room, lessen the boxiness of the room itself, and provide richness in color AND texture. Do not limit your thoughts of drapery to only the more formal aspects, as drapery can be constructed to denote any degree of informality or even provide a whimsical or theatrical appearance. A good combination of shadings AND drapery will give you the maximum versatility and provide energy savings as well. Even those of you who feel rather "anti-textile" can gain benefit from as tailored a treatment as a 'plantation shutter', as wood can be a very good insulating surface (much like bookshelves). Nothing, however, will provide as lush a setting as fabric!

The advent of battery-operated remote control units have also opened up an entire selection of shadings and blinds which may be controlled from the comfort of your chair. A remote can be particularly appealing should you have skylights in your room. Not having to "hard-wire" a room will save hundreds and possible thousands of dollars. A remote "eye" need simply be visable at the top so that you can aim aim the remote in it's direction. Of course, in the name of economy, you can also opt for manual operation.
    In my home theater I have a huge picture window (a la 60's) as well as a window at the top of an exterior door. I have electric, remote-controlled roman blinds with light-filtering fabric, and also floor-to-ceiling red thermal-suede draperies to close when viewing the TV in the daytime. (Thermal-suede does not darken completely like "blackout" lining..it blocks approximately 80% of the light but I like it because it is "softer" and more insulating.) While mine are currently ten years old and were never designed with my home theater in mind (Pro Logic just never inspired me back then!), it has served it's purpose well in that it provides light-filtering privacy from the shades, and total darkness and insulation from the drapery. This year I will be changing the design slightly, "tweaking" the design to further block light leakage as well as providing a more "theatrical" appearance.

What are you currently using to cover your windows and control the light? Are you happy with your solution? Does it look good as well as block the light?

If you have any questions regarding the products currently available on the market, feel free to ask! I currently sell three major brands and am very up-to-date on what is available.
    Susan
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

You are right that light control is an important aspect of HT and the medium for handling it is often neglected or overlooked, but the means are out there and within reach...

To darken my HT, I put blackout shades behind vertical blinds (fabric strips, not plastic panels), and am now removing the vertical blinds, since they coordinated with an "earth tone" color scheme, but not with the the grey/black color scheme now in place. I hope to replace the stationary blackout shades with automated Hunter Douglas blackout blinds at some point down the road...

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Susan
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Burke,
      One thing you might consider until you are ready to automate is to just replace the vanes on your verticals. The fabric vanes help the accoustics a lot. You already have a good headrail I presume, so getting new, color-coordinated vanes will not cost a lot.
      SS
      PS Many of you may not realize it, but there is a company in FL that will take any photo and apply it to your verticals. This has obvious uses in retail windows etc (where a large brand logo might look good) but we are also using it in HT's, etc..one I saw was a great shot of the balls lined up on pool table in the "V" formation......another had the family's kids all skiing downhill, and yet another showed a boy racing downhill on rollerblades... you could center a large movie poster or graphic from your favorite movie (Gilda, King Kong, you name it) etc...it is actually laminated onto the blinds.
      Just a thought..done well it can be very "campy".

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Thankfully I don't have to worry about windows. There was one below ground window in the area where I built my home theater in the basement. It tended to seep water in the Spring so I had it removed and filled in with concrete. Now there are no windows. But this also necessitated rigging up an air exchange system for the room. By leaving the door open to the outer basement, I also get fresh air, and some added heat from the hot water heating pipes to reinforce my electric heater in the HT.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Susan, in our theater room we have a 4' x 7' arched window that's flanked by two 8" x 6' windows. We had custom wood blinds made for each (and all the other windows in the house) and then put up heavy drapes as light blockers/accents. The combination looks nice and works very well for daylight viewing on our RPTV.

- David -

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Susan, you sure know how to hit a guy where it hurts. I happen to have a wall of windows. My quick solution some 7 years ago was vertical patio door blinds from Lowes. TWO of them, butted together. This solution cost me like 160-180 bucks for 2 of them. rails and curtains would likely have been 500 bucks or more. Basically, it's 16 feet to cover from one end to the other.

What would you do?

I have a problem in that during the day, I see the veritcal strips on my RPTV. Very annoying at times, though mostly, you get to where you just look through it. Of course, I do move movie viewing at night anyway, so it's not a huge problem, but it is a problem.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Susan
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Well Lex...you won't like my answer...:=)

I am not a fan of verticals. They are cold accoustically and have too many light leaks for my liking...plus, with no textile surfaces, they just dont' warm a room the way fabric can. You could still use them for the underlayment which is used when not viewing the TV...but overlay panels on each side which are only drawn when watching the screen. This doesn't have to be traditional pinch pleats..it can also be less formal, loose panels hung on a wooden rod with rings, and a slider rod to pull them closed...this is a very "new" look. Wrought iron rods are also popular and the cost has come down quite a bit so they are very affordable now.

If you are tired of the verticals you can replace them with several black-out types, from roman blinds which lower and raise to a neat product by Hunter Douglas which is a fold door which pushes to the side, but when closed is a cellular shade for patio doors. It comes in light-blocking fabrics or you can get a semi-opague which will stil let a very soft light to filter thru the color...if you want a folder on it let me know.

The most expensive but one of the neatest looks is with sliding pantation shutters to cover the patio door. The large panels slide over out of the way when the door is in use, so you must have wall space on either side of the doors. It is a beautiful, tailored, non-frufru way to cloved the door and the vanes close up for darkness.

This is only the tip of the iceburg..there are hundreds of ways to treat windows that were not in existance just a few years ago!
              Susan

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                • Jan 2002

I didn't like that answer much either Susan. I have a wall of windows/french doors, with horizontal blinds. They leak light as well, especially in the late afternoon when the sun is going down.

I'll try to post a picture soon.

Fortunately, most of my TV viewing is at night. But I still believe the room could use some accoustical treatment at some point in time.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Say what? :twisted: 8O :?

thanks for the belated reply Susan. Hope your computer is purring nicely now.

Well, forget stow room for doors at the side. my rear surrounds are very close. Regarding the veritcals, can't say I blame you, but at the time I was covering this 16 foot wall of windows, they were my only affordable option. At least mine are cloth covered, so they do have some accoustical value.

However, during the day, watching the RPTV, you see every slat in the rear window in the screen. Quite annoying. So, I really would like to come up with something, still, not to expensive, if possible.

Originally posted by Susan the decorating Queen
                  [If you are tired of the verticals you can replace them with several black-out types, from roman blinds which lower and raise to a neat product by Hunter Douglas which is a fold door which pushes to the side, but when closed is a cellular shade for patio doors. It comes in light-blocking fabrics or you can get a semi-opague which will stil let a very soft light to filter thru the color...if you want a folder on it let me know.
                  These two options perked my interest, any examples? costs?

Lex
                  Doug

Comment

• Bruce
                    • Aug 2000

Lex,

Last time I checked on sliding cellular shades for sliding glass doors, they wanted $500+ for one to cover a 6-8 foot door.

Bruce

Comment

• Susan
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

My computer situation is still stinking...the first motherboard was defective and i had to send it back...got it back and he had "forgotten" to put the GeForce card back in and we're battling that now. Mail order for computer stuff can really stink, altho the savings are astronomical. I liked the computer shows better.

Hopefully I'll be back online permanently by this weekend. I'm having to use an ancient old one at work when i get a chance.

Moral to this story: don't ever tear up your current pooter until you have the new one up and going.
                      "I'll be back."
                      Susan

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Hoorah !

My Homepage!
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

Bummer Susan. I can certainly empathize with you. However, I cannot depend upon 1 computer at home for rather obvious reasons. I have 4 plus an old laptop, lol. Wretched excess? Well maybe. However, I am giving one of those to my daughter, and one seems to be plagued by the same type issues of yours. Yes, my dual CPU Tyan is going down again. Constant memory issues, and now, one CPU isn't running. So, I have to tear the Mobo out yet again, and send back to dealer. I don't think I am going to accept another of the same thing, I am ready for a change!

Now, back to window coverings.

Lex
                          Doug

Comment

• David Meek
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Hi Susan,

Welcome back. I thought you'd been missing for several days. Glad it was a pooter problem.

David - HTGuide flunky
                            Our "Theater"
                            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• cinemax
                              • Mar 2002

Im glad I dont have any windows in my HT!
                              It seems to couse big truble...

See my theater Cinemax!

The Cinemax Home Theater
                              See my theater Cinemax!

The Cinemax Home Theater

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"