X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Susan
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Snow Day Thoughts: Lifestyle Changes II

When contemplating my aforementioned displeasure with my HT setup in our den, I usually felt overwhelmed to the point of taking no action. Not only because of the envisioned expense of doing what I wanted to do, but also the waste of really expensive furnishings that would have to be disposed of/re-routed in order to achieve my goals. Because I am a list-maker, I decided the best way to clear my head and get a better handle was to evaluate the changes I wanted:

Dilemmas:
    I wanted a huge TV. My primary hindrance was a $3800 (well…probably $4500 as it was paid for over time) large cherry wall unit purchased in ’90 that would only go up to a 32” TV…and I wanted BIGGER. Removing this would necessitate not only a new TV, but a tower for the components. Ka-ching.

I disliked the double-row theater seating and wanted something “cosier” that could seat 6 people. I wanted at least 4 to be able to be really comfortable, with the other 2 being chairs that could be drawn closer to use. I also wanted everyone to be able to enjoy the fireplace.

I hated the clutter of the 1300+ CD’s in the mahagony built-in shelving and the ensuing clutter that jamming all of my books into the other side of the fireplace gave the wall…by putting the CD’s elsewhere it would free up room to spread the books out. More ka-ching.

I was using cheap satellites for HT and ‘preserving” my huge Tannoy horns for music, and I felt that was a waste of some great speakers. So I wanted a good match for a center channel speaker. (I have been working on this for a year, and have "auditioned" about 9 centers in this search). Mucho ka-ching.

I had already converted the coat closet over to album storage for approximately 1000 albums. I need to either widen the closet a bit or add an additional built-in cabinet to house another 200 that need a storage home. Fortunately, this collection is no longer growing (for now)!

I wanted to remove traditional art from the walls and use my album collection to display the artwork on the album covers. Likewise, I saw a rack you can buy online to display 9 CD’s, and I thought that would be a good way to place my newest tunes in sight and remember to play them more often initially rather than filing them in the collection and “forgetting” about them.

My sub was as bad as my satellites, so I knew we’d have to either build a Sonusub or buy a decent sub. I wanted the satellites and sub out of the room and placed in a tiny study upstairs…perfect for the smaller room. Again, ka-ching.

And this was only the start. “For every action, there is a reaction” How true this is! In order to move the wall unit out and prepare to demolish my HT room, I first had to ready/re-do the rooms that would receive the excess furnishings. I wanted to make these changes in a fashion that would not deprive the family of long-term use of the HT… A tall order, but with careful planning I felt it could be done.

I think it’ll be easier to break down each accomplishment into a separate posting so you don’t have to read such a long dissertation, and show a few pics of the ‘before’ and the ‘after’. Have patience, as work is very busy right now (people are fixing up homes instead of traveling/buying or new since the tradgedy of 9/11). Also, I did not wisely take pics right before tearing things apart, but I think I can scratch around and find something."I'll be back".
    SS
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Yeah, the pics will be very nice to refer to as things proceed,Susan.
    regards,
    George

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Sounds exciting Susan! But how will your sub and satellites perform from an upstairs room, lol. Am I missing something here???

lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Bob
        • Jul 2000

Susan, boy do I understand your feelings of being overwhelmed with the task of redoing a already existing space. I complained to myself about my HT for several years before actually getting up the energy to totally empty it and start over. It is almost as much work as a kitchen remodel, and can be just as expensive.
        If you want your HT looking like a commercial theater it is a pretty straight forward job. There are plenty of models to be inspired by. You simply put up your screen, your rows of sitting and whatever wall and lighting treatments inspire you. When you want it to be more than that it gets complicated. It is very difficult to incorporate a HT and music room into a setting that is also warm and inviting for visiting and conversation. Sounds like you are on your way to doing just that. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"