X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Susan
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

HT Dilemma: Lifestyle Changes Part I

The last quarter of '01 brought along a slew of changes to my HT. I was home a lot due to illness, and there's nothing like having to stay home to make you realize that things need to be done! (yes, we CAN ignore that old wallpaper when we're at work all the time...)Even tho I am an interior designer by trade, we tend to be so burned out by having to work on others' homes that ours gets little thought (like the cobbler's kids who have no shoes!) What really started affecting the HT was the chain reaction from making changes in another room...especially in regards to furniture being moved around. It seems as tho our homes take on a personality after we've reached a certain age (or perhaps it's after you've been married a skillion years and accumulated/sifted/replaced/honed/resigned to certain furniture and things which you cannot dispose of?). Whether we are bound by "antiques" (and I use this loosely...old family pieces are usually called this whether deserving of the term or not) which we inherited, early-marriage furniture that's not bad enough to pitch but we're tired of, or just bad buying errors from the past, we all seem to have certain pieces we have to work around. Sometimes these are monstrous and really hard to deal with (like my husband's family's church organ in my living room...crowded in with a grand piano...call it a "music room", not a "living room"). More often they are simply not what we would ordinarily pick were we to choose today. It seems the only souls I know in their 40's that have the more lean, useful furniture without clutter have been thru a divorce to clean it out..and I'm certainly not advocating that route to rid yourself of unwanted belongings! So, most of us shuffle these pieces from room to room, trying to work out "the solution".

I've become aware of a very definite philosophical change in my attitude toward my home in my late 40's. Up until 40 it seems my major goal regarding my home was to upgrade and tweak it up to a look and comfort level that was judged according to my parent's level of decor.As I started making meaningful money I headed into the usual land of better furniture, oriental carpets, etc. Along with the upgrades came a shift into that which was more formal. Perhaps I equated the look of "Traditional Home" and "Southern Living", etc. to that of success within my own life. Perhaps because this is what my parents aspired to, I felt I should also. For whatever reason, one day, when you are about 40-45, you start noticing that your home is finally coming together and looking darn "good", and your comfort level is nice. BUT, this does not necessarily mean that you're totally happy with the overall plan. As I neared my mid-forties I started to become aware of nagging little undercurrents of discontent...as if the home were lovely, but not necessarily what I wanted.( And while always preaching to my clients to "make their homes fit their lifestlyes, and not vice versa"...I rarely apply my own advice to my own lfestlye!) Many of our friends who experienced this went out and built another home in a more open style or differing style to assuage these feelings of wanting something "different", but due to my health problems this is not a good idea for me (a new huge mortgage will not help pay the medical bills). SO, you start looking within your home to see what changes you'd really like to make.

Perhaps my biggest "mistake" was to over-dress the family room (which is now the HT). I bought furniture of as high a quality as my living room, and altho the color scheme is less formal and the materials more durable (chenilles, cottons, etc)it still had orientals, solid-cherry furniture, nice brass lamps. I also invested ten years ago in an expensive Thomasville 8ft. wall unit which really pulled the "traditional" look together. I go the hub an expensive leather chair and ottoman. All this was fine-and-dandy, but I noticed we no longer partied as much in that room, we stopped having many parties because we got paranoid about people spilling things on the orientals, etc. The family itself drifted away from using that room much and it sat there, pretty, but pretty much ignored.

Where did we "hang"?? Upstairs, in a fourth bedroom that used to be a nursury, where old furniture and the computer had migrated! I have a twin bed, an OLD club chair and ottoman, and a TV along with the computer. Perhaps I'm blaming the furnishings/decor unfairly and the real reason we all migrated to this tiny cramped mess was because my body was on the computer so much and the men in my life would not see much of me otherwise. BUT, I also think the fact that it was "comfortable", that it actually bordered on sloppy-comfortable was a big part of the reason that we all used that room so much.

It really did not occur to me until about 18 months ago that we all had changed over to staying in this little room all the time. The large, formal living room (aka "music room") went unused. The dressy family room sat silent, even tho the largest TV was in that room. So I started a slow process of re-thinking my home and how we live in it.

It seemed I was bound in my soul to having certain uses for certain rooms. The real waste is the formal dining room, with a fortune tied up in a crystal chandalier, elegant table and chairs, etc that SIT there other than the 12-or-so formal dinners I give a year. We have a separate "dinnette" we used everyday beside the kitchen, so the formal dining area just sits, and sits. I won't address that room in this chapter as I have not come to grips with altering that room YET..but in the future , who knows..

But I did start rolling along on the den..albeit slowly. First I upgraded the Pro Logic setup and went DD/DTS. That brought the family back into "movie-mode", as we were never that enthralled with Pro Logic. Getting a better subwoofer also seemed to add to my men enjoying the movies more. Then, I changed around last summer to a two-row arrangement, with a double recliner in front and an elevated sofa behind, adding dimmed movie lighting and reducing clutter. At first it was OK...but a real drag when other couples or friends would join us as only two could sit up front. This was really brought to mind this fall when another couple came to visit for a month..my neck ached from some of us having to constantly crane our necks to talk to others. By the time they left Nov 1 I realized the two-row arrangement could not stay IF I were to continue to use the room for anything other than HT. And we do use this room to listen to music...and as of late we are getting into vinyl again, which entails sitting and really listening (remember..you have to be there to put on and take off an album!) So I realized it was time for some MAJOR changes. Not just surface things to "tweak" it a bit, but some major overhauls to bring this space I call my home more into alignment with the way I REALLY live my life. Instead of my home LOOKING as I felt it should, I wanted it to FIT MY LIFESTYLE as it really IS. My kid is grown now (18) and does his "own thing", so it really is just my hub and I again. And how do we live? We are the typical workaholics (we love what we do) who are not home a lot (we both run two businesses) and when we are home, we eat too much, listen to music, watch some TV/movies, and fall into exhaustion. With this in sight, I determined to start into a new "phase" of my life..one in which my material possessions would enhance my lifestyle, instead of hindering it.

As this tome has reached gargantuan proportions, I'll continue this thread in my next installment.I'll try to show pics along the way as this is certainly not totally accomplished yet and will be ongoing thru the next year or two. I have in the last month made some very significant changes. It is a NEW DAY, and a NEW WAY.
    Susan
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Wow, great post Susan, and thanks for sharing that with us. My parents pretty well live by the old standards, pretty living room, untouched except for holidays mostly, formal dining room, and they sit cramped in a little den, all their waking hours. lol. Myself? It's a much more casual lifestyle. 1 great room, and buddy, we do it all in here! HT, check, music, check, video games? Check. Computing? check, exercise? Well, a new check on that. Just added a new exercise machine to try and get some of my muscles back into shape, including the old ticker. It's called a Gazelle. Now, this won't stay in here long, as I plan to finally get rid of a bedroom suite that was trashed by an X. Yup, she stole drawers to it, in a divorce, just to be mean. I grew up with that bedroom suite, and it really hurt to have it destroyed, but replacing the drawers and matching would cost a fortune, if it could be done at all. This was partly my Dad's fault, as when I was moving out, we were out of boxes, and he said here, just take the drawers that had my clothes in them, that way she can't do anything with the bedroom suite. The mistake we made, was taking some, and leaving others. Yup, she took the ones that were left to be mean. Oh well, I guess that's life.

But long story short, mine is a casual lifestyle, and always will be, until I get a Mrs. that might want to change the way we lived. But if that happened? It couldn't be in this house, so I hope she makes big bucks, lol.

Goodluck with the changes!

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

As usual,Susan, your post(s) is/are always interesting.You made me think about our little dwelling and how things are since our three sons flew from the nest. For one thing, the living room rarely gets used, except for when I'm listening to music, and for another thing, the dining room only sees action during holidays when the brood comes home.
      Wifey and I also find ourself spending a lot of time in a room facing the deck and the back yard.We added patio doors to let lots of light in,especially during the long winters.My wife likes plants so there's this big orange tree in one corner of the room and an assortment of plants in other parts of the room.There's a small tv in this room that gets occasional use, mostly by wifey when I am in the sitting room at my computer.As for my HT, well it's a dedicated room and basically only used for movie watching.
      Anyway, Susan, I hope your health improves and I look forward to reading about the changes you plan to make to your abode.
      Regards,
      George

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• P-Dub
        Office Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Excellent writeup. I'm looking forward to your next installment.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
        Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Uncle Clive
          Former Moderator
          • Jan 2002

Excellent post Susan and my prayers are for your speedy recovery and sustained good health. While reading your post I could not help but to think about my own home and how I have room furnitures arranged and so on. The one thing I do, is, before I buy anything for my HT/home I'd try to visualize where and how people would sit, stand, enter the room and what would be the first thing they'd see as they enter. I would (quietly) do some dry runs myself as if my guests were actually there. It helped.

I am a caterer. My own business. I cater to mostly business clients.......grand opennings, conferences, launches, cruises, weddings etc. I do consults, sourcing for theme parties etc. It has its benefits when it comes to decorating my own home and hosting dinners but the drawback is that whenever I have guests coming over they always expect only the very best and become disappointed if I didn't give them 150%. (The nerve)!
          I too became ill last year due to stress over-working myself and going for too many days without sleep. (A couple of months before that we lost our home to a fire which started in a house beside us), that's when I after two months staying home became involved in HTs and home decor. Yea, you're right, you start to see things a little different when you're home all day.

I can't wait to read your next thread on this subject...........very exciting!

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
          CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Wow what a post susan! you know you should moderate this area Seeing as how we just bought our first house (as of about 4 hours ago!) I'm sure my wife and I will be very interested in what you have to say ...expect some emails in a couple of months LOL

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

Susan -- you've done a great job of describing something that has interested/concerned me for a long time. I have often wondered why people furnish "museum" rooms -- living room, formal dining room, etcetera -- and then actually "live" elsewhere in the house.

By way of illustration, I was invited for dinner a few years ago to a home with an elegant dining room, very tastefully appointed living room, etcetera, and was one of about a dozen guests. Where did we eat? In the family room, with plates balanced on our knees! The host said we'd all be "more comfortable" in there. Right! :>)

And so, instead of entertaining their guests in the rooms I would have thought would be the logical places for a dinner and conversation thereafter, we collectively displaced the family's kids from the "family room" where their large screen TV was (which, of course, we were not using, given the type of gathering it was) and they had to fend for themselves in the back of the house somewhere... with a portable set and no VCR. (This was before DVD, or they would have been without that too, no doubt.) :>)

The hostess went back to check on the kids several times during the evening -- and then made the rounds of the dining room and living room to shoo guests back to the focal point of the evening's "festivities". They wandered in there to see what priceless art objects or antique furniture must be in there to warrant not using the space for entertaining. Actually, both rooms would have been fine for entertaining -- no costly treasures, just furniture designed for the activites of the evening (dining, for instance.) :>) But a lot more "formal" than the family room, and an area where the family hardly ever set foot -- so THEY were not comfortable there, and therefore, apparantly assumed their guests would not be either.

In evaluating my own home and its furnishings, I think it should ALL be comfortable and usable. Unless one lives in a mansion with "zones" and can afford a staff to keep it up, and entertain on a grand scale where "formal" areas are needed -- and are actually used fairly often -- I agree that it is a real waste of resources to NOT have things set up for efficient and effective support of daily living.

And that is why, for example, the sectional sofa disappeared from my HT/living room earlier last year in favor of relatively light, easy-to-rearrange Ekornes chairs that are actually more comfortable to sit in for the duration of a movie, and much more versatile -- they can be rearranged from "theater" mode to "converstation" mode, or vice versa, in a couple of minutes. Plus they are easier to keep looking good, being covered in leather instead of a fabric that seemed to "grab" dirt out of the air. :>) And did I mention they are comfortable? :>) Now if I could just figure out where to put the stacks of books, magazines, CDs and other stuff that tends to get piled on them... storage shelves or the trash bin? :>)

Thanks for bringing up the topic and sharing your thoughts on it, Susan. I'll look forward to further chapters in your musings on this subject.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

I'd love to see Susan moderate this area. As a pro interior decorator, she has a lot to offer.
                George

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Bruce
                  • Aug 2000

Well I'm somewhat sad to say I'm one of those that got to change most of my furniture because it disappeared with the divorce.

But on to lighter things, I did get to get away from the more formal oriental look and migrated to a more rustic and masculine look, some furniture by Bob Timberlake with an antique cherry finish.

The biggest change I made was to transform my formal living room, which is a tall 25' cathedral ceiling room which is a slight stepdown from the double entry door foyer.

Since all the furniture was gone I had an 8x4 foot Gandy pool table installed. What a kick and a great ice breaker when anybody walks in the front door.

I'm still working on new vinyl floors, Pergo, and shower doors, but at least have some distractions to keep me busy, such as HT, music, the pool table and this forum on my PC.

Looking for that great life partner but still having a blast as a bachelor. Oh Yea, I passed the 40 mark a while ago.

Bruce

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Hey Susan,

I'm sorry to hear of your medical trials. I hope that things will continue to head in the right direction for you.

As far as an environment philosophy is concerned, we took a somewhat different tack. When we moved into our new house (last February) and started putting new furniture in, Jenice and I made a conscious effort to not go with a formal environment (except for the dining room which we will be using for family and holiday gatherings and the occasional big dinner), and also to separate the "family" TV, and my dedicated HT room from our main social area.

We like big, soft couches and chairs that you can flop down and burrow into - you know, just get comfortable. That's what we put in our den (downstairs) and family room (upstairs). The den, which sits next to the kitchen and breakfast area in a fairly open concept doesn't even have a television in it, while the family room (up), which is next to the hall leading to the kids' bedrooms, is pretty much centered on our 36" Mitsubishi and DVD player with the family PC off to one side. Keeping the TV out of the main social area allows all of us to interact a LOT more than we used to. These days, especially with teen-agers, that is so very important. Later, we can move up to the family room and hang out there watching whatever. Also, when friends are over, we can sit back and enjoy each other's company and conversation without the "background noise" of a TV.

Summing up, we've set up a floorplan/environment that gives us a large, open central social area with a second fairly large area for TV/PC use, and it works well. Now when the kids move on to college, we'll look at things again, but who knows if we'll change. . . .

FWIW, my HT room is completely isolated from all of the other areas, and it's the ONLY place that I rule - buwahahahaha!

David - HTGuide flunky
                    Our "Theater"
                    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

David that sound similar to what we're planning on doing with our living room only having chairs and a love seat arranged to facilitate communication vs being centre towards a TV. We'll leave the TV and media viewing to the HT room in the basement.

Comment

• Susan
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

David,

I think you made some good choices re your usage of the rooms. These large "great rooms" are fine for community gatherings, parties, and getting a feeling of "space", but lousy for accoustics. I really think that taking either a basement area or even a spare bedroom will give you a better home theater, and the people watching movies aren't constantly compromised when people drop by or the doorbell rings. Besides, cathedral ceilings are lousy for the accoustics.

Going into a new house gives you a myriad of better choices, but when you're in a 40-yr-old house that was cut into smaller traditional rooms, it can be really frustrating to break out of the traditional "mold" and adapt the home to a 2000's attitude.

I'm currently re-working a 25 yr-old home for a client whose children are out of the house and want's to adapt the home to their lifestyle, which is guitar practice (he's in a band on the weekends), HT, drinking beer, and the occasional party. I ripped out the formal living room and turned it into a HT (nice rectangular size), took out the formal dining room and turned it into a home office/computer room/media center, and de-cluttered their great room to house mostly a large dining room table and chairs for entertaining by the fireside. They are having such fun doing this, and are amazed at how much they already are enjoying their home again...like seeing it thru new eyes. These changes don't always necessitate a lot of expense..you may already have the furnishings and merely need to better arrange/use them. Starting this on my home has really opened my eyes to a new facet of my trade..not just to make it look good, not just to make it sound good, but to also assess "do we need this function, is my home meeting my needs, what does this home not have that I'd like to have" and then changing the rooms to match the needs. Too often we just leave our homes in the rut we've always had....without really assessing what it COULD be.

TIP: If you really want to see how good or bad your home really looks, take your digital camera and take a lot of pictures of the rooms, standing back to get in sweeps of the rooms. Nothing points out clutter, too many "things" on teh surfaces, too much furniture in a room, etc. better than picture. Kinda like seeing your own body in a picture..never the way YOU picture it in your mind!
                        Susan

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                          • Sep 2001

Burke said:
                          "In a 1400 square foot house without a basement (mine) there simply isn't another room large enough to use as an HT (I'm not about to convert the 20 foot by 20 foot garage) -- and that 'large "great room"' is only 14 feet x 16 feet -- so even there, my front Maggies are almost like huge headphones... :>)>>

Believe me..I "feel your pain"..I have to sit cross-wise in my room (fireplace eats up the end wall) and we sit only about 9 feet away from my 28w x 40h Tannoy horns..I only wish my garage were that big, but it's a one-car narrow thing...about 10 x 24....and full to the brim with garden and yard crapola. I suppose I could store all the rakes et. al. in the den and move the den to the garage....naaa.

I have to agree..I moved back here from Richmond (which has a higher water table, hence, few basements) as 1400 sq ft home here is really a 2800 sq ft home with a basement..much more bang for the buck, so to speak.
                          Susan

PS My biggest problems with cathedral ceilings are the sunlights, open doorways to kitchens and dining areas and hallways, and home that have cathedral ceilings tend to have twice as much glass as older homes AND wood flooring. Takes a lot longer to get it all set up properly.

Comment

• Susan
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

MAJOR OOPS..

I thought I was hitting 'reply' at the top of Burke's post, but was instead hitting 'edit" and I edited out his post! WAAAAAAAAA! This moderator stuff is powerful stuff!

Sorry, Burke.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                              • Sep 2001

Susan -

Easy mistake -- those buttons are awfully close together, and it is really easy to overwrite something in "edit" mode without realizing it. Next time such a thing happens (for any of us Mods), just use your browser's "back" button to get to the thread in its pre-overwritten state, copy the original text into Word, then come back and do some cutting and pasting to get things back to "the way they were", putting the response in a new post, of course. :>)

As for what was lost, in addition to pinning down the exact delivery dates for Outlaw's new pre/pro and power amp, in outline, I recall explaining a theorem for trisecting an angle, revealing the formula for Coca Cola and the Colonel's secret recipe of herbs and spices, identifying Watergate's "Deep Throat", detailing a cure for cancer, and interpreting the lyrics to "Louie Louie". I just can't remember any of the details. :>) So, I'll sleep on it and see if I can reconstruct my post in the morning.... :>)

Burke

Comment

• Bruce
                                • Aug 2000

Susan,

Can you explain a little about your comment on "cathedral" ceilings being bad?

Bruce

Comment

• Susan
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2001

Bruce,
                                  Back up three messages and read the post that says it is by Burke but was actulaly mistakenly overwritten by me...the last sentence tells why I dislike working around them. Actulaly, dislike i too strong a term. I find they merely denote more amperage, more everything as the sound is rambling and bouncing all over the place. Besides needing more power, they are trickier to set up with the sound meters. If the glass factor is low they really aren't all that bad.

Comment

• Bruce
                                    • Aug 2000

I was just wondering, because they seem to produce less bass standing wave problems (boomy bass).

And I agree on the glass and openings to other rooms.

Bruce
                                    ____________________________________________
                                    Bruce

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"