X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Any CARA Users?

Hi all. Sorry it's been so long since I last posted. Anyway, on to the fun. . . .

Has anyone used the new PC program CARA (Computer Aided Room Acoustics)? I received it for Christmas from my wife and am hoping to get some feedback on usage tips, etc. TIA.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

I've seen it and read about it, but haven't had the inclination to get it yet, just haven't had the time (to many other projects). It's capable of a *great* deal of detail, and would be ideal for doing an in depth study of a specific acoustic space, with an eye towards analysis and optimzation. It's not just a quick analysis package like RPG Acoustics Room Optimizer, which I have.

It should be quite interesting to get into- let us know what you think, and your experiences.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Jon, I certainly will...

Might as well get started, huh?

The version I received is 2.1+ which was just released in the last week or two. There is no hardcopy documentation as such, just the disc. So I spent last night printing out the documentation - and there is a lot of it! I hope to finish printing and binding tonight, and to start reading tomorrow. It's a good thing it's my Friday off, 'cuz my boss might not appreciate me studying an HT manual at the office!

Just from my initial foray into the website, it looks like it's going to be a nice package to play with.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

David,
        I will be looking forward to your future posts on this subject.
        Regards,
        George

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Sounds like fun David, nice to see you posting again. I remember that #18 too. David was the 18th member at HTG! Kewl, ey?

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Hi gang. I've been at work way too much the past few days, so I haven't gone as far as I'd hoped with this program, or even replied to Susan's excellent post.... Mo' later.

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• AndrewM
              • Oct 2000

Well after seeing this post, and then doing some research on it (a couple posts at audio asylum, review in stereophile, some reviews at audiogon) I decided to pull the trigger and pick up this package (and hey for $50, it's not a big risk).

One of my bigger deciding factors with this package was the ability to model for my very complex shaped room. My living room kind of flows into the dining room, which has 2 different ceiling heights (20ft vs 9ft), the whole bottom floor is kind of T shaped, there's also stairs in there, a couple of big windows, odd furniture, etc. It also allows me to enter in my own speaker parameters (since my whole front soundstage and LFE is all DIY), make custom furniture, etc. Every surface in the room has a number of options, things from wood paneling, to regular ol sheetrock (with options of how much insulation is behind it), room treatments (bass traps, or absorbtion panels), etc.

Did I mention all the simulations you can do with the program? You can run simulations about optimum speaker placement, now this is kind of cool. When you setup your current speaker placement, you can also "draw" a simple box around the speakers to tell the software where your limitations are for moving them. So if your sub can only go in one spot you can do that, or if you can move it along a wider range you can model that as well. You can run a 3d simulation which is animated to show you .9sec (configurable) reverb of your room. And you can move around this simulation, look at it from the top and you can see the waves and when they hit the listeners head, then bounce off the rear wall, travel back to the TV, bounce back to the listener...rinse and repeat. I modeled my current room (with no treatments), and I got about 4 bounces before that wave blended away. I treated the room with some absorbtion in the back, some bass traps, heavy curtains over a window, treat the front wall (even though it's behind the TV and racks and would be barely seen) and that hits the back wall and is almost gone by the time it gets back to the TV....simply amazing to see it happen. It gives you a good visualization of how sound moves through the room.

These are just a few of the things you can do with the software, there's just a ton more that I just can't even get into....but to be put simply even if it's say 50% accurate in what it shows with my room (even though everything I've seen written about it says it's a lot more accurate than that), and how I can change some things, it will lead to some very dramatic changes in the SQ of the room.

Andrew

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Andrew,

Good synopsis. I haven't completed typing up my review yet (damn, I got word ), but will try to in the next few days. Simply put, this package has led me to completely redo my room layout - in effect, rotating the layout 90 degrees! The ability to build the speakers was very nice as my Boston Acoustics VR-35s, et al had to be done from scratch.

- David -

David - HTGuide flunky
                Our "Theater"
                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Status: Well, it's ALMOST finished. h: I apologize for not getting this review out in a more timely manner, but work and life (yes, I have a small one - LIFE THAT IS!) intruded.

- David -

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Looking forward to your review this is something I'm seriously considering for planning my HT room...one quick question regrading CARA...can it model planner speakers like my maggies?

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Andrew, there are four types of speaker that can be modelled:

(Standard) Loudspeaker
                      Dipole Radiator (large flat membrane)
                      Subwoofer (active/passive)
                      Add-On Tweeter

I think the dipole radiator is the one for your Maggies. Here's the high-level description from the documention:

‘Standard Loudspeakers’ comprise conventional design principles like bass reflex or closed box using passive crossover networks with 2 ... 5 ways. As a special case also a 1 way speaker may be defined.

‘Dipole Radiators’ with large flat membranes are usually driven by electro- or magnetostatic systems. They may have a crossover network with a 3 way maximum.

‘Subwoofers’ may be active (adjustable lower and upper cutoff frequencies) or passive.

‘Add-On Tweeters’ are 1 way systems which may be added to any loudspeaker configuration. The lower cutoff frequency may be adjustable.

Yep, sounds like it'll accomodate your. . . do you have the 3.6's like Burke? Those are sweet!

I'm REALLY trying to flange this up and get it posted by this weekend. Again, sorry for the long turnaround time.

- David -

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

David/Andrew how's CARA? I got a copy last week but haven't spent much time with it yet....what's the best way to get started?

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Andrew,

First off, read the instructions fully! I like hardcopy, so I printed out the damn things -what a pain! It'll help though, as creating doors and windows especially, were not intuitive at all - at least for me.

David - HTGuide flunky
                          Our "Theater"
                          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

I planned on doing that...CARA isn't at all plug and play is it 8O Also looks like I'll have to design my speakers as well.

Comment

• Jay Mitchosky
                              • Aug 2000

What I need to do is develop a room from scratch. Will CARA provide me optimal room dimensions based on constraints that I provide? In other words, a set of dimensions that minimize modal interactions given minimum space needed, maximum space available, and/or specific dimension constraints (ex. ceiling must be x feet high). RPG Acoustics' software will do this but I want to keep my options open.

--Jay

--Jay

My Home Theater Setup and Pronto CCF...
                              --Jay

My Home Theater Setup and Pronto CCF...

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Hi Jay, welcome to The Guide.

Quite honestly, I don't remember. I'll check tonight and let you know, okay?
                                :banghead:

David - HTGuide flunky
                                Our "Theater"
                                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• David Meek
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Jay, my sincerest apologies for not getting this done sooner! ops:

I don't think CARA will do just what you want. You'd need to build the various room models and look at the results. You could minimize some of the variables you'd have to work with by going with one of the "golden room ratios" and modelling from there. . . .

FWIW, with the latest patch release (v2.20),. which is free, there are more options and capabilities available to you than in v2.1.

David - HTGuide flunky
                                  Our "Theater"
                                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

Working...
                                  😀
                                  😂
                                  🥰
                                  😘
                                  🤢
                                  😎
                                  😞
                                  😡
                                  👍
                                  👎
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"