Wall fabric, Woven poly or Sound channels?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike V
    • Jan 2001

Wall fabric, Woven poly or Sound channels?

I am about to purchase some acoustic fabric for my theater and am looking for some opinions on these two types. I am not sure which will work/look better once it is up, i plan to put a layer of poly batting(8oz) on the sheetrock wall before putting up the material, has anyone used either of these fabrics? or both? if so which did you prefer acousticaly and also appearance wise.
    I will begin by doing only the front wall and about 4 feet along the sides, as time and most importantly money allows, the rest of the theater will be completed.

Lastly, any thoughts on using soundboard on the lower half of the front wall, i will be using it on the lower half of the sides and back.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

Are you planning a live end/ dead end room?
    A good place to look at acoustic materials and their properties is in some of Thomas's speaker building links. Alot of theater builders try to deaden behind the front sound stage as much as possible (with a screen or large rptv it can't all be deadened) and use defusers to liven-up the rear of the theater...so sounds eminates only from the speakers in the front sound stage, and then "reflects" off the rear wall in a random manner.
    We need Thomas in here.

Comment

• Mike V
      • Jan 2001

KennyG,

Yes, i am planning a live end dead end design to some extent, i have dipole speakers in the rear so i need some reflectivity, i will be applying treatment to the lower half of the wall however.

Thanks for the tip on the book.

What i am basically looking for are opinions from users of either of these fabrics, what they used, how they like it, how they used them etc..

Comment

• KennyG
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2000

Mike I'm planning to use heavy velvet drapes behind my sound stage to cover my screen then not in use, DIY tube traps in the front corners, and 1" acoustic fiberglass on my side walls, I'm going more for an audiophile's type of sound room, my rear wall will be the only reflective area...here's alittle something you might be interested in, they work, and if you buy them from a company they are expensive, however DIY and they're simple to build, just as effective, and cheap! http://ic.net/~jtgale/diy2.htm

Comment

• Mike V
          • Jan 2001

KennyG,

Awesome link! Thanks! I was going to build these into the corners of my room(angle off the corners)but this seems much easier and more flexible as far as placement.

Comment

• KennyG
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2000

Mike go to ThomasW's post "sound control for HTs & listening rooms" he just posted it today.
            Take a look at the second to last link!!! Great stuff, alot of info on wall material and treatments...the last link gives you pictures of his DIY tube traps, alittle more involved than the link I gave you...but maybe better traps!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"