X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palmetto
    • Nov 2003

dusting off the technics sl-1300 turntable

i am about to be reunited with my record collection and my technics sl-1300 directr drive turntable, which i purchased from crazy eddie in greenwich village around 1976 or so. i kept great shape of it and my records.

it has been in storage since 9 years ago. i would like to bring it in for maintenance and cleaning. what are my concerns before putting money into an old machine? unavailble parts? rewiring the phono plugs? a new cartridge to replace the stanton 681EEE that is on there? is 1976 turntable technology still OK?

i will use it with my bew system, which has a rotel vsx-1055, the rotel 970 phono adapter, and paradigm studio 40s.

thanks.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The cartridge, the wiring and the motor bearing would be my concerns (in order). Direct drives seem to hold up pretty well as long as they are stored in a climate controlled situation. However, if it'd been sitting in an attic, I'd be thinking it might be necessary to invest in a new TT. I'd still replace the cartridge before it ever touched vinyl, though. FWIW, I'm a Grado fan.

Do you have a budget to stick with?

'76 technology is still quite applicable for turntables. The big improvements have been in materials, arm technology and cartridges.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

What's a bew system?

Oh, the 1300 was a pretty nice TT, by the way. . . . Here's a nice little site on vintage Technics TTs.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

Hey Dave!

When I saw turntable I new you`d be on this like Kung on Fu.....and I think he meant new instead of bew :roll:

Look at the keyboard :LOL:

David I had to...it was impossible to resist :

Take care bud!

Bam!
        Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• palmetto
          • Nov 2003

thanks for your thoughts, dave.

<

<Do you have a budget to stick with?well, after having gone overbuydget on everything else with my BEW (new) system, i was hoping to just spend a few bucks on a cartridge and not have to repalce the turntable. maybe $100-$200, dunno what they cost these days. also, my vinyl collection is primarily classic rock, if that means anything.

if i have to replace the technics, i ahve not researched it at all. soundcity is selling a NUMARK TTX1 ultra-hihg torque direct drive TT for $400 (list: $700). what do ya think?

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Music Hall is making some nice little TTs you should check out.
            1. MMF 2.1, msrp $350
              MMF 5, msrp $625

You can get these well below msrp, by the way.

Also, Rega has a very nice entry level system.
            1. P2, msrp $495

and, it comes with the well regarded RB250 tonearm

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• palmetto
              • Nov 2003

that PLANAR 78 is beautiful... but let's see what shape the SL-1300 is in. i found a place in pompano, florida (i live 45 minutes away) that is highly regarded for turntable maintenance/repair. for $25, they will take a look.

thanks again.

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Oh absolutely, check out the Technics first! If at that point it's not an option, then look at others. But I'd really recommend replacing the cartridge regardless.

Be careful on the Rega site - the P78 is designed specifically for 78 RPM vinyl. The P2 is the one I was steering you to. . . .
                :

David - HTGuide flunky
                Our "Theater"
                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• palmetto
                  • Nov 2003

ooops. i meant the P2.

watching the rock 'n' roll hall of fame tonight, which honors artists who have been 25 years in the biz or more, i was thinking about my vinyl collection, 800 albums, stting in 13x13x13 sealed boxes in a florida warehouse for the past year. i am crossing my fingers until i am sure they are unspoiled although there is some sort of climate control providfed by the warehouse, amd i have been using DAMP-RID product to keep the room dry.

i've been lsitiening only to CDs onm a stereo and MP3s on my computer. trying to recall the difference in sound that vinyl makes.

we'll see!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"