X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhodiel
    • Mar 2004

Sonus Faber - Grand Piano

Does anyone have opinion and/or experience with these speakers? If so, what equipment are you using?

Thanks in advance,

Ariel
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Oh, some guy named Lex just MIGHT have an opinion on these fine speakers. . . . :B

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

They're awesome speakers but aren't they a little big of a slice of your budgetary pie Ariel? That's about 1/3 of your budget on just two speakers.... 8O

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
      Jason

Comment

• rhodiel
        • Mar 2004

Well, the price range seemed reasonable. However, if I have to spend more to get an overall good system then I will. I am also thinking about Definitive Tech 2004 TL. Any opinions on those? All sound great to me.

Thank you
        Ariel

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Grand Piano Homes? New?

I own the original concert series Grand Piano, along with Extremas, Concertos, Concertinos, and Solo. lol. You could say I love Sonus faber. :B

I think the new ones are supposed to have a little different sonic signature, but still Sonus faber with the sweet mid-range. Sonus faber generally isn't a rock and roll type speaker. It's more jazz, orchestra, etc... However, they are capable of doing home theater very nicely, and never fatiguing.

I say once you own Sf speakers, you likely won't be going elsewhere in the future.

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Whistler
            • Aug 2003

Hi,

I've only seen the Grand Piano a few times, but I've never listened to them. But I know the Cremona Auditor, they just sound beautifull and their finish is excellent. The sound is a bit warm, but also wide-opened and very detailed.

They deliver you even "big surprise" more bass then a B&W N804. I personally think they are even better then a B&W N803 .

I am still on the lookout for a new pair of speakers and the SF don't make it easier .

Regards,

Whistler

The Mainframe
            The Mainframe

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

I have been hearing good things about the Cremona Auditor. I've not personally heard them yet, but the word is very good. Some are even ranking them as good as Extremas, though different.

Certainly a worthy contender, and quite possible a better speaker than the GP.

Lex
              Doug

Comment

• Whistler
                • Aug 2003

Hi,

@ rhodiel

What's music do you prefer, because not all types of music sound good on a Sonus Faber . Rock music is ok, but Speed/Death Metal won't sound that good on them, their body is to small for that kinda music .

Kind Regards,

Whistler

The Mainframe
                The Mainframe

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

The problem with that theory is, that music sounds bad on anything. :LOL:

Truthfully, I have admitted in the past that Sf speakers are not ideal for hard rock and roll. Lucky for me, I never was a "hard rocker". If you are, I'd suggest a speaker with a "harder" character. Sf speakers are delicate musical instruments.

Lex
                  Doug

Comment

• Whistler
                    • Aug 2003

Hi,

Well I listen to all kinda music, from jazz to hip/hop to Metal . I will listen to some Martin Logans this month, Revel is also on the list but I don't know when I will listen them .

Regards,

Whistler

The Mainframe
                    The Mainframe

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

Well, again my advice is somewhat off current models, as all my speakers are older. I can't say what cremona does, as I have not heard them. Nor have I really spent any time with the newer GPs. I have seen them, just not auditioned them.

Lex
                      Doug

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"