X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NHT
    • Mar 2004

Pioneer DV47ai vs. Denon 2900 vs. Denon 2200 vs. Rotel RDV1050

Hello fellow AVSforumners. I am in a dilemma and I need your expertise. I am torn between these four players and I cannot make up my mind. I just want to make the right decision. All these players I can probably get for about the same price. I just found the Pioneer 47ai for $550 and I think it is a hell of a deal. I have been told that the performance of the Denon 2200 and 2900 is so close that it is not worth the extra hundred bucks to buy the 2900. And a local home theater store told me that they liked the Rotel better than the Denon 2200. So many conflicts in opinions that I have to turn to you folks here. I need an unbiased opinion with people who has experiance with these players to help a newbie make a decision that he wont regret. Right now, Im really leaning towards the Pioneer just for overall for the deal that I will get although I havent heard much about it. Their has been great commotion over the Denon 2200 though. So, would someone please kindly give me a polite "push" to the right direction. Thanks in advance

BTW....I am using the famed panasonic RP82. Will I even hear and see improvements that will justify the upgrade to any of these players?
  • Eduardo
    Moderator emeritus
    • Jun 2002

Hi NHT and welcome the Guide. I understand the convenience of cut and paste but you might want to change the AVSForumners to HTGuiders.

Sorry I can't be of much help to your question since I don't own any of the equipment you have listed.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• Atorak
      • Feb 2004

I demoed the 2900, and I must say, it was a very nice piece. I never grabbed the 2200 for a comparison, although I wish I did, because I am in a similiar situation you are.

As for the Rotel, and this is only my opinion, but I would like to trust Denon to make a better all-around DVD player then Rotel. I own brand-new Rotel stuff, and its outstanding, but Denon makes TONS of DVD players, and they are always among the top choices for an investment. Plus, Denon wins awards and accolades on the 2200 and the 2900 all the time.

As to which one you should go with, I have no idea! Honestly, the two pieces cannot sound extremely different, but you really never know. I loved the 2900, it had great sound, great picture, but as to how good the 2200 is, I have no idea.

Hope that (kinda) helps!

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

You've picked a good group to make your choice from. As far as one over the others, the 2200 recently was rated higher than the 2900 in a shoot-out in Sound & Vision magazine, and the Pioneer is getting some good press, too. The only thing I'd stress is to demo the models you are most interested in side-by-side - in Houston, the Home Theater chain carries the Denons and I think the Pioneer. THEN, demo the champ with your RP-82 at home before making your purchase - or barring that, make certain you can return it for a full refund. Our suggestions will never be as definitive an answer on what to purchase as your own ears are.

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

David, I'll have to pull out the magazine when I get home, but if I'm not mistaken, wasn't the 2200 rated higher than the 2900 for audio, but the 2900 rated much higher for video? I can't remember.

CHRIS
          Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Bam!
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2004

Hey guys!

Question on a question.... :roll:

Is the Denon 2900 the only player without the famous chroma bug....

If I am totally off here....my bad ops:

But I read that somewhere in this forum I think.....

Bam!
            Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chris
              wasn't the 2200 rated higher than the 2900 for audio, but the 2900 rated much higher for video?

Good question Chris. I don't remember. Guess I'll have to re-read to verify, too.

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

I believe the video was rated better but let's face it a good mid-end players video and even a higher-end players video aren't that different IMO and definately not parallel with their price increase. Where you're more likely to notice vast improvement, is in sound quality, in a $500-$1000 versus say $1500+. Here for some strange reason the less expensive player is the better performer. Is the 2900's video better than the 2200's? Likey, but IMO if the audio is better in the 2200 that will be the most notable factor as the slight video improvement wouldn't be worth the extra $$. Of course, your ears, eyes and wallet are the final deciding factor.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                Jason

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Okay fine. I can't find my S&V issue that had the universal player comparisons. Chris?

David - HTGuide flunky
                  Our "Theater"
                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"