X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Atorak
    • Feb 2004

Question About CD Voice Clarity

Hello everyone. First post here, so I apologize for the stupidity of it.

I bought a brand new set of Nautilus 804s recently, as well as the Rotel 1075 power amp, I am still using my Onkyo Integra DTR 6.3 as a processor, and I have it connect to a 'middle-of-the-road' Panasonic DVD player as my CD player.

Now ever since I bought the N804s and the 1075, I notice some voice disclarity in a wide range of cds. These vary from the chili peppers, to even Britneys new CD (on certain songs). I was wondering, if a new CD player, or perhaps a universal like the Denon 2900 would help eliminate any of these problems, or are they inherent in the CDs themselves?

I have AudioQuest King Cobras running 2 channel audio from the DVD to the receiver and then to the Amp, and I have the receiver running Pure Audio.

Does anyone have any suggestions about this? I want my CDs to sound good, but I also would like to get a bump in DVD-A and SACD as well. So the Denon looks like a logical choice.

Oh, I also have MC-something Monster Cables from the 804 to the receiver. I plan on upgrading to the Rotel 1068 pre/pro when I get some $$$, as well as grab an HTM1, upgrade the cables to AudioQuest Bedrock/Slates (perhaps), and a few other minor things.

Thanks for any suggestions on how I can correct this matter!

- Learning Audiophile
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Welcome Joe

That voice disclarity on Britney's CD is just probably some of the digital processing they use on pop music

Well you're definitely off to a good start on your gear Ideally, yes you would upgrade to a stand alone CD player from the likes of Rotel, Arcam etc and upgrading your DVD player will give you better video and audio performance. As a step by step process I'd probably recommend the Denon 2200 or 2900 (I read recently that the 2200 actually outshone the 2900 for audio) to start. Then upgrade your speakers, processor, then a CD player if you can't do it all at once.

For cables I recommend sending an email off to Doug (AKA Lex) at Cat Cables. Great Products and even better service and he'll build you what's best for you, no guessing.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hi ya Joe, welcome to The Guide! :later:

No apologies needed fella. We ALL started learning about this hobby at some point and from your purchases, it sounds like you aren't a "newbie".

It could be that you need to upgrade your CD player, but another thing to consider is that you could well be hearing the actual quality of mastering on those problem CDs. A more revealing system will do just that - reveal more information. Unfortunately, that includes the bad with the good. A personal case in point: Def Leppard's X CD sounded fine in my pickup, but when I put it on the house system it was basically unlistenable due to the poor mastering quality.

How about posting a list of the problem CDs, and songs if you can? If someone here at the forum has the same discs, hopefully we can give 'em a sping and see if we pick up on it, too.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by aud19
        Then upgrade your speakers, processor, then a CD player if you can't do it all at once.

Jason, the Integra and 804s are pretty good equipment to begin with. . . .
        ;b>'>

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Atorak
          • Feb 2004

Hey, thanks guys! My GF brought over some music, and I noticed on the new Britney Spears CD, In the Zone, that on Track 1, you can hear Britney and Madonna coming in very scratchy in the WAY beginning of the song (yes, my gf likes Britney, heh).

I also noticed it on my new Red Hot Chili Peppers Best Of CD. But, I heard that the Chili Peps like to record in Analog in the studio, because they prefer the sound, so perhaps that is it.

I guess I was wondering if upgrading to the Rotel 1068 processor, or changing my cables, or upgrading to a Rotel/Arcam cd player would eliminate any of the hissing?

Im really trying to tighten things up as I listen, and each new piece I buy seems to change my system dramatically towards the better. I love that! Guess I need to determine which piece of equipment is next.

My plan was, in no particular order of importance, to get the B&W HTM1 and a set of 805's for the HT setup, and the 1068 with a new CD player, and new cables. Only problem, of course, is money! 8O

Anyway, if anyone had any suggestions for what I should head to next, or what would make the biggest difference, lemme know!

Comment

• Atorak
            • Feb 2004

Oh, and PS, I always thought that $3,500 B&Ws were a pretty good start for speakers, heh. :LOL:

No upgrading those yet!

Comment

• Bam!
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2004

Hi there Atorak!

Your girlfriend is the one who likes Britney ain! :W

Ohhh and if my first post would have been that stupid I`d be MODERATOR by now!!!!

Nice stuff by the way....Have you heard the Musical Fidelity DVD...I am drooling over it right now...

Take care bud!

Bam!
              Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Bam!
                Ohhh and if my first post would have been that stupid I`d be MODERATOR by now!!!!

Oh, and you think being a moderator has anything to do with knowledge?
                8O

Sorry, it's just about how much we suck up to Lex.
                :B

David - HTGuide flunky
                Our "Theater"
                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Atorak
                  • Feb 2004

Thanks guys.

Could use a little help on my questions though.

Ya know, whenever you get a chance!

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Atorak
                    Thanks guys.

BWWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!! That was oh-too-funny, Atorak. You're right. We often get rambling off topic and lose sight of the discussion.

My input for you would be, good for you for continually upgrading your stuff. You're doing it right, when each upgrade makes a marked difference in sound and picture production. You'll get bogged down with costs and troubles if you find yourself upgrading just to get one or two new features or something more trivial, not getting that satisfaction of much better performance.

It sounds like you're reaching the point where you're realizing an important tenant of A/V fine upgrades: there comes a point where the quality of the media that you're playing REALLY makes a difference. On any system, you can usually tell between a well-produced CD and a bad one, or a good DVD transfer vs. a cheap one. But when you get fine equipment, that reproduce every little nuance, and you've trained yourself to hear and see details in media, you'll find yourself hearing the background hiss in imperfect music tracks, and other imperfections.

That's just the nature of the beast. If you're going to get the ability to hear every little bit of the music on a CD, you're also going to hear the mistakes made when they recorded it. So, you become a bit more picky in choosing movies and music that you buy.

Good for you, keep on the A/V track. Yes, I would go for a universal player, and improved cables. (Not better cables) They'll help you with the upgrades!

CHRIS
                    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Bam!
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2004

Thanks guys.

Sorry there bud....I`ll never do it again! :nonod:

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
                      BWWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!! That was oh-too-funny, Atorak. You're right. We often get rambling off topic and lose sight of the discussion.
                      I am right with ya there bud :rofl:

So what were we talkin about...Oh yeah!

But when you get fine equipment, that reproduce every little nuance, and you've trained yourself to hear and see details in media, you'll find yourself hearing the background hiss in imperfect music tracks, and other imperfections.

So, you become a bit more picky in choosing movies and music that you buy.

That is why I can enjoy a handful of cd`d and my system is a peasant`s system compared to yours....Actually that is why I fell in love with Patricia Barber...and I am ready to leave my ball and chain for if she was into that type of realtionship ofcourse!

Bam!

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

I guess I was wondering if upgrading to the Rotel 1068 processor, or changing my cables, or upgrading to a Rotel/Arcam cd player would eliminate any of the hissing?

Joe, is this hissing a constant background sound or is this a "sibilance" heard on the vocal tracks? Just trying to understand here. . . .

David - HTGuide flunky
                        Our "Theater"
                        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Steve (Bam!), just wanted to let you know that I took the liberty of straightening up your quote functions in your last post.

David - HTGuide flunky
                          Our "Theater"
                          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by David Meek
                            Originally posted by aud19
                            Then upgrade your speakers, processor, then a CD player if you can't do it all at once.

Jason, the Integra and 804s are pretty good equipment to begin with. . . .
                            ;b>'>
                            Sorry I was talking about his comments on adding the HTM1 and 805's and that he mentioned he wanted to upgrade his processor. Not upgrading his mains! 8O You guys must really think I'm nuts I was just listing the order I'd get them. Which he seemed to agree with from this comment:

My plan was, in no particular order of importance, to get the B&W HTM1 and a set of 805's for the HT setup, and the 1068 with a new CD player, and new cables. Only problem, of course, is money!
                            So it seems like your on the right track Joe , like most of the rest of us, it's more a matter of already knowing what you want but having no way to afford it... :? Other than that you're headed in the right direction any and all of those things will make your system sound better. It's just a matter of prioritizing the equipment and saving money to pay for it. Personally I'd start with your speakers (now that everyone knows what I'm talking about ) then a universal player like the Denon 2200 or 2900 or Yamaha 2300. Then work on adding seperate amps utilizing your existing processor and then the processor and finally if you have money left a CD player. (Somewhere in there you'll have to upgrade those cables too...) I say CD player last as I believe you'll notice a jump in quality going even to a universal from what you have now and the rest of the changes would be more noticeable IMO. Not to mention that once you upgraded all that stuff a good CD player will sound that much better played through your new cables/processor/amps/speakers. as opposed to playing a good player through mediocre gear.

Alas all this effort will force you to weed out some CD's that just won't sound good on your new gear due to poor recording/mastering as the other fella's mentioned. It's the nature of the beast, they shall be relegated to secondary systems and cars....

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                            Jason

Comment

• Bam!
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jan 2004

Thanks David!

Bam!

Comment

• Atorak
                                • Feb 2004

Wow! 8O

Thanks to everyone who answered, I really appreciate it. Im glad to see that there are people out there even more nuts than I. It seems like im looking for a new purchase every week for Christmas sake! Only problem is, those checks dont come in fast enough.

Most people would think im nuts for dropping 10k on A/V stuff already, but what are you going to do?!? Plus, its nice to impress your friends with.

I might go with the HTM1 next, since I will definately be purchasing one anyway, so I might as well get that over with. After that, perhaps the 1068, and then finally, some new cables, and a new CD Player. Then, when I get around to it, ill replace the Mirage OM-R2s with a set of 805s on stands, upgrade those cables, and ill consider myself done for a little while!

I guess you have to wait till you make the BIG bucks in order to get the really nice stuff. Hell, who wouldnt want Krell Monoblocks driving a pair of Revel Salons? But, all in due time.

If anyone could recommend a CD player, that would be a great help. There seems to be a few good deals around the net, the latest being a Rotel RCD-02. I always liked the RCD-1070s reviews, but if I could save a few bucks here and there, I shouldnt complain, eh? I listen to mostly Chili Peppers, Counting Crows, Cypress Hill, Tool, etc, etc. Well, of course, with the occasional Britney or Diana Krall (not really fair to compare the two). But hey, lets keep that to ourselves eh!

Even though with the upgraded gear, I can now honestly say that Britneys voice sucks (did you know they add a slight echo to most of her songs, to make it appear that she can carry notes longer? :lol, but damn, what a body, eh. :P

Thanks guys.

Perhaps an Arcam 62T or 72T over the 02 or 1070? Not sure which would fit my tastes better, but I guess I should find an AV store that will let me test out some gear!

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                                  • Jan 2004

Vocal clarity and imaging are greatly effected by speaker placement far more than any piece or combination of electronics, even if you think you have your speakers placed properly you could be missing out on a lot by not experimenting more with placement. First reflective surfaces will destroy vocal intelligibility, so try sitting very close with your speakers closely spaced and see if it gets better, if so change you’re seating or start the process of room treatments.
                                  My Center Channel Project

Comment

• John Wayne
                                    • Apr 2004

Some recommendations on CD players, starting with a low cost player would be the Cambridge D500, further up the price list you can find Rotels and Regas.

Comment

Working...
                                    😀
                                    😂
                                    🥰
                                    😘
                                    🤢
                                    😎
                                    😞
                                    😡
                                    👍
                                    👎
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"