Line Conditioning? any and all opinions welcome!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Al K
    • Feb 2004

Line Conditioning? any and all opinions welcome!

Considering a line conditioner. No decision as of yet. Just looking and gathering info. Should I decide ok, then $400 is the upper end to avoid serious injury from the wife! ;zx Preferably something worthwile for less $ if possible. Any suggestions??

AL
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

You might want to look in to these:http://www.brickwall.com/ (some folks swear by them) or these: http://www.apcc.com/products/family/...=67&tab=models (a less expensive solution with power conditioning. I own two 1200VA units myself.)

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• jimmyp58
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Al:

Like Jason said, there are a number of guys that own the Brickwall stuff and swear by them. Before I knew any better, I bought two of the Monster HTS 5100 Power Center/Line Conditioners. Yeah, they look impressive but once I got educated, they are not worth what I paid for them (~$600 each). I have replaced one with a BPT BP1/CPC Ultra unit that puts them to shame. I will replace the other one in a couple of months with either this same unit or the step-up model. The BPT's aren't inexpensive, your wife might cut both of your arms off (or some other body part), but they arguably are the best units available.

Go to their website to check them out (www.b-p-t.com). Don't get sticker shock though as this is their MSRP. I have a source that will be able to get you a far better price.

Jim
      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Al K
        • Feb 2004

Thanx guys!
        Response is appreciated. The Idea of QUALITY line conditioning is relatively new to me. Out of curiosity, aside from surge protection and noise reduction, was there an audible improvement in sound quality? If so could you describe in terms of your own exprience what you heard specifically?

Al

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Al, If you can move up to the Brickwall level of products I believe you'll get what you are looking for. They are undeniably good products and don't have the "cumulative wear" issues an MOV-based unit does. IMHO, the less costly products on the market are more in the line of a power director/surge protector than a power conditioner.

I have a different make of conditioner/protector - a Vans Evers Clean Line model 14/100. It made a substantial difference in my video of all things. The immediate benefit was much better color saturation, so much so that I had to re-calibrate my TV with my Video Essentials DVD. Now that was in Houston which has (as I understand it) fairly dirty power. I perceived a difference in my audio also, but that is a VERY subjective issue for people. I heard a (or didn't hear ) a lower noise floor which gave me better detail retrieval.

Good luck with your purchase and keep us posted.

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Like David touched on, it does greatly depend on the quality of AC you already have on whether you'll see a big, small or no improvement. The more "dirty" your power the more improvement you'll notice. Like David, I noticed a greater improvement with the conditioning and noise reduction from my APC units on video than audio. There was less noise in the picture, more apparent detail and greater colour saturation.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
            Jason

Comment

• Scarp
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by aud19
              You might want to look in to these:http://www.brickwall.com/ (some folks swear by them) or these: http://www.apcc.com/products/family/...=67&tab=models (a less expensive solution with power conditioning. I own two 1200VA units myself.)

Jason
              APC Line-R is indeed a reasonably cheap solution. I used that for a while on my pre/pro, cdplayer and dvd player. But after a while I thought ... lets test it without the line-r and found that without it, everything sounded better even. Its strange maybe, but true.

For poweramps or receivers its even worse to use such a line conditioner.

Comment

• Al K
                • Feb 2004

Many interesting responses! Mucho food for thought. Obviously, a a major factor is how clean ones main power source is.
                Checking into a few brands mentioned above.
                My dealer carries panamax. Any experience with this brand?

Thanx again!

AL

Comment

• Crimson
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

I use Furman's pro line of conditioning and protection. I use 3 PM PRO's, with one each for the amps and one for the preamp and source components. What I immediatley noticed was a dead quiet background, so much so I was able to turn off the ground-lift switches on the amps. Listening results were cleaner highs and less SS hash. Furman also makes a high-end consumer line, but it's basically their pro gear in fancier packaging at a higher price.

Q.
                  Q.

Comment

• ht_addict
                    • Dec 2002

I've heard these work well. http://www.psaudio.com/products/ultimate_outlet.asp

ht_addict

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"