X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Do You Nitty Gritty?

Yessir, got a new turntable, new cartridge, new phono stage, vibration absorption platform and man I was ready to hear some amazing new things from my vinyl collection. I dropped the first side on the platter and SNAP, CRACKLE, POP! No. this isn't a cereal commercial - it's the sound I heard from a older, dirty album. Well, that's not going to work - so what's the answer? In my case, it was a Nitty Gritty Model 1.5 record cleaning machine.

This little beauty is a miracle worker - especially on older vinyl that you may think is too damaged to save. It may just be dirt and junk in the grooves.

To operate it, you just saturate the velvety brushes with cleaning fluid, put the album on the capstan and turn the power on. After three revolutions, switch on the vacuum and it removes the cleaning fluid that has collected the dust, trash, dead bodies or whatever has accumulated in the grooves of your album(s).

The result? Clean, clean, clear playback from your LPs - no more snap, crackle or pop. If you have a collection of vinyl, you absolutely need to invest in one of these (or similar) machines. Do you Nitty Gritty? You should. . . .
    :amen:

One caveat tho': This won't fix a scratched or damaged album, we're still stuck with them. Darn it.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Couldn't agree more. The Nitty Gritty Record Cleaning System is an indispensible part of my vinyl playback ritual. Proper cleaning makes the difference between "sonic nirvana" and "why did I bother".

The model you bought has automated record turning, a highly recommended feature. While it is tempting to save a few bucks by getting the all-manual model, I've talked to people who bought that one and regretted it. The effort to turn the record is more than you'd think, especially if you had planned to do more than one at a time, so they soon rationalized putting up with dirty records.

On the other hand, getting the more expensive model that squirts the liquid for you seems to be a waste of money. You still have to fill the reservior and push the button to actuate the "automatic" spray, so why not just squeeze the bottle over the velvet lips and be done with it? :>)

Another thiing. Over time the little velvet "lips" wear out and lose their effectiveness and need to be replaced. It's a good idea to have a replacement on hand so you won't be caught short and have to wait to get one when the record for some reason doesn't get clean the way you are used to.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

. . . and here I was getting ready to read a bluegrass discussion.

BB

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Awww Brandon, that'd be in the In Tune forum somewhere. :

You mean out of 1700+ members that Burke and I are the only record cleaners?

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Bam!
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2004

You mean out of 1700+ members that Burke and I are the only record cleaners?
          No I just use my shirt and rub it in circle :LOL: :LOL: (I find Ralph Lauren works the best)

take care David...I had to it was just too good...

Bam!
          Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Uh, will these work on my SACD's, too, and lower the background noise?

~Jon

Earth First!
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Burke Strickland
              • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Jon Marsh
              Nope. That's what green Magic Markers are for. :>)

Burke

PS -- The above is a joke, but for those who still spin vinyl, (as opposed to wearing it), :>) the Nitty Gritty or similar products from VPI and others are no joke.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Jon

Yeah Jon, they will. Tell you what - send me 30 or so of your SACDs and I'll test 'em and make sure everything is working properly. . . .
                :spin:

David - HTGuide flunky
                Our "Theater"
                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Are you sure you're from Nigeria and not Deer Harbor, WA?

Seriously, the Nitty Gritty or similar devices are indispensable if you're into vinyl.

If you're not into vinyl (technicaly, having lost my records during divorce in 1990 and not replaced them, you'd have to say I'm not into vinyl, though Thomas and I sort of jointly own a Denon platter with a Linn Itok arm), then be warned you shouldn't underestimate it; the best digital (SACD, IMO), is just starting to get to where my Denon platter/Rabco SL arm and Dynavector cartridge and DL-103 cartridge were in the mid 70's, as regards some important areas, especially imaging. You think I'm kidding? Then why did even something as mundane as the standard original "Boston" LP sound so much better and image with more layering and localization than any digital release, including, unfortunately, the current SACD release? Ponder that, oh lovers of digital.

(Gawd, here I am talking to myself, again!) :? Having an arguement with myself and losing. How embarrasing! ops:

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                  Obi-Wan
                  Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                  Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Brandon B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jun 2001

I have about 150 records I'd like to play, but don't have one of those spinny needle dragging on an arm thingy's right now, nor anywhere tto put one.

Including the aforementioned Boston album.

Got 2 circa 1980 discwashers too. Think the DI water's gone bad?

BB

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Brandon, I REALLY strongly suggest getting rid of that fluid! :spit:

Hey, look into getting a TT. You can get some rather good ones for great prices these days. Music Hall makes a couple of good budget systems, and Thorens has just released a really interesting new starter system.

David - HTGuide flunky
                      Our "Theater"
                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"