X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Nickel Creek 5.1

For any of you SACD types, got Nickel Creek's self-titled debut album on SACD a couple of weeks ago. One of the nicest 5.1 audio mixes I've heard yet. They went for sort of a widened soundstage effect, not a real immersive surround thing. My favorite of the dozen or so 5.1 music mixes I've heard so far.

Background: Nickel Creek is a trio of young bluegrass musicians, produced by Alison Krauss.

BB
  • BuD-TheDude
    • Feb 2004

Excellent!

I was just sitting here reading Immunology, and decided to check out the forums for a break. Glad I did too! I am just waiting for them to make their way to MN on tour. To all those who have yet to hear this first Nickel Creek album, I do highly recommend it.

Thanks alot, Brandon.

BTW, any thoughts on the Blue Man Group DVD-A, anyone?

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hey BuD, welcome to The Guide! :later: I hope you sit back, and hang out with us for a while.

I can second the recommendation on Nickel Creek, although I haven't heard the 5.1 mix. Nor have I heard the Blue Man Group DVD-A, but if anyone was going to dive head-first into multi-channel, it'd be those guys.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Blue Man Audio is one of those DVD-A's and SACD's that I picked up at Best Buy with a coupon, but since I don't have a universal player haven't been able to listen to them yet. I hear it's really good, though, so I can't wait to listen to it.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Nickel Creek. I did an Amazon search, though, and came up with two of their albums on hybrid SACD's. One's the self titled album, the other one is "This Side". Are they good enough to pick up one or both as a blind purchase, not ever having heard the group?

CHRIS
        Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• awtryau89
          • Dec 2002

I picked it up last weekend as well. I had to go to 3 stores to find it. Must have been a run on them. It is an amazing disc. I also recommend Allyson Krauss Live as another outstanding disc in this genre. SACD is really taking hold and moving well ahead of DVD-A IMO.

Eric Awtry
          War Eagle
          Eric Awtry
          War Eagle

Comment

• BuD-TheDude
            • Feb 2004

I might just have to pick this up myself, perhaps 'pull a' Chris D and pick up the Nickel Creek album just to have it. More of a bragging right to wave infront of guests than anything I too am currently without a SACD player.

I was fortunate enough to see the Blue Man Group at the Luxor this past summer and picked up the DVD-A afterwards. I ask about it merely to get an idea if this is what SACD's and the likes are all about quality wise, as this is the only thing I really have to compare the surround formats too.

Anyway, thanks for the input; it is much appreciated. Yet another exam tomorrow, I must be off.
            Last edited by Chris D; 05 February 2007, 04:44 Monday.

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Are they on Rounder records like Alison is? I've been buying her stuff and Union station direct from Rounder. I wonder if they'd have it at Best Buy in the SACD section?

~Jon

Earth First!
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• efarstad
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jun 2001

I've owned the Nickel Creeks self titled album now for over 2 years...VERY GOOD. Many of my reference tracks are found on this album. The separation of instruments and depth of soundstage is AMAZING on this album!!! Each artist of Nickel Creek, also have their own solo albums...with two of the members being brother and sister! They have a great sound...definite recommend for "a change of pace!"

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                E-Cinema

Comment

• Brandon B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2001

Jon -

Yes and yes. Rounder is the label. I have a couple of Alison Kraus/Union Station on SACD (and the rest on CD), and to me, this actually sounds a little better than any of those.

And I bought mine at best buy.

BB

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"