X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ht_addict
    • Dec 2002

Glass vs Plastic Optical cable. Any difference

Just curious if there is any difference in performance when it comes to glass vs plastic for optical cables. I know of a website that has glass ones priced similar to plastic ones.

ht_addict
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I'd go with glass given the choice, even though it is somewhat more fragile than the plastic equivalent. But then, I'm a bit of a traditionalist. YMMV.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

I'd be a little wary of a glass cable the same price as a plactic one. Either that's a very expensive plastic cable or a cheap glass one. Glass tends to offer better sound quality at the expense of fragility and well...expense Plastic offers lesser quality but more durability at a more affordable price... Personally if you can, I'd recommend a good quality digital coax over a mediocre optical cable and likely they'd be the same price. The best solution would be to audition three similarly priced versions of each at home and see which one you like the sound of, like any equipment, ... but this isn't easy to do with online ordering... Perhaps Doug could make a good suggestion based on your price range, equipment and taste.

My .02$

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
      Jason

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

Bam!
        Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• ht_addict
          • Dec 2002

Here's a pic of the cable. Looks well constructed.

ht_addict

Comment

• ht_addict
            • Dec 2002

Just received the cable today but haven't been able to test it out. Cable is well constructed from the gold metal ends to the tubing coating cover the glass fiber optics. Definitely worth the $$

ht_addict

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

You know, I've wondered about this, too. I can see different grades of digital coax cable making a difference. And that coax vx. optical makes a difference, because of the different D/A converters. But for two given pieces of equipment, one optical out, the other optical in, I'm not seeing why the grade of optical cable should make a difference at all. Unless one cable is broken and can't pass light, when the light reaches the other end of the cable, it's still light. I think it would have to be a pretty bad cable to diffuse or alter the light signal enough to be unreadable at the other end.

No?

CHRIS
              Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"