Does a higher quality cd player make a noticible sound quality difference?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george_k
    • Jan 2004

Does a higher quality cd player make a noticible sound quality difference?

I've recently upgraded my main speakers and receiver to a NAD T742 and a pair of B&W DM603's.

The cd player I'm currently using is actually my toshiba DVD player. I listen to music via a digital coaxial connector, for some reason the bass seems to play louder when using the digital input on the receiver rather than the analog.

Anyways should I expect an significant increase in sound quality (that justifies the cost of the player) if I were to upgrade to a dedicated cd player?

Thanks in advance!
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

George,

The short answer is "Absolutely".

You will find the NAD CD542 a big improvement for Analog and Digital inputs. When I was Cd player hunting recently I have heaed it with the same B&W 603 S3 speakers and NAD Reciever and it's a big step up from a typical DVD player's sound (which we compared it to)....

Try this thread in Club Rotel for a discussion over the topic generally http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/inde...artRow=1&CFB=1 (different CD player but you will get the idea) .

Geoff Costello

Comment

• brucek
      HTG Expert
      • Aug 2000

Anyways should I expect an significant increase in sound quality (that justifies the cost of the player) if I were to upgrade to a dedicated cd player?
      The answer of course is, it depends.

Since you're using the digital output from your player, you are bypassing it's own DAC's and line amplifiers, and relying on the DAC's in your receiver. If you feel the DAC's in the receiver are better than the ones in your player, then this is the better choice for you. In this configuration, it's debatable whether replacing the player will gain you better sound, since you are only using your player as a transport. Many people (myself included) don't feel there is a lot of difference in the "sound" from different quality transports - feel free to disagree.

Where there is a difference is when you use a high end player 'as a player' and take advantage of it's DAC's, line drivers, quality power supply and zero jitter qualities that a high quality player can provide.

But here's the rub. If you take this pristine analog signal and pass it through a receiver that doesn't have a true analog bypass, then you've compromised the advantage of the high end player. Many receivers will re-digitize that analog signal and as such your advantage is lost. So it's a problem.

If your receiver has an analog bypass that doesn't digitize analog signals, then purchasing a higher quality player will result in a better sound for you....

brucek

Comment

• george_k
        • Jan 2004

brucek,

Your post was very informative, it answered my question and even taught me a few things I did not know thanks

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Well, I'd just like to stress that while the entire chain is important, any improvements in any part of the chain, can improve the whole chain. No, not as well as if everything in the chain is top end, but at least you get some benefit.

So, in short, using a better CD player with the digitals out will still reap benefits in improved sound. Just not as much as if it's fed into a higher end pre-amp and amp. Of course, the higher end the receiver, the less pronounced this difference will be.

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

George,

Just to help with your decsion, the NAD T742 Reciever (if you check their web-site http://www.nadelectronics.com) has a sereo bypass mode which is pure analog no tone controls, no nuthin... (NAD are like Rotel they always have a stereo bypass as that is their legacy). IE You get the Analogue signal as is from the CD player if you like OR you can have the digital signal (NAD strongly prefer the Coax Digital over the Optical)

So - This aligns the advice of all posters (myself included) in that with that Reciever you will hear a difference in Analogue Stereo mode as well as digital mode. You choose. Just go to your friendly dealer and audtion for yourself and then try one at home....

Again - for the money (and given your NAD reciever) I'd consider the NAD C542 a good visual and auditory match for your equipment at $400-500 US$ and winer of multiple best buy awards etc. Of course if you have more money you can do better (but the $ mount...)

Geoff Costello

Comment

• sfdoddsy
              • Sep 2000

Since we are giving opinions, I'll give mine.

IMHo, the differences are likely to be negligible through the digital inputs and not huge through analog unless you really spend some money.

The biggest improvement is through better speakers and/or room treatment.

Cheers

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
              Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• Al K
                • Feb 2004

George,

To be brief and not to redundant, I have a pair of B&W 603 S3s. I use a Rotel RCD1070 cd player a Sony carousel sx225 cd player, and a Pioneer universal DVD player. There is a difference in sound quality with all three! The difference is substantial in some cases. I recently added a Rotel RB1080 amp (upgrade) to my RSX1055 to run the 603 S3. This definitely brought out more potential of the RCD1070 player.

AL

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"