X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ht_addict
    • Dec 2002

You know your a tweaking junkie when?

Within a week you buy a c8 to c13 adapter for your DVD player and vibrapods for all your equipment. Someone please stop me. I even had to go out and get a piece of wood cut to fit under my Rotel RMB-1095 to fit my pods. Now I have to demo some discs to see if I hear/see a change.

ht_addict
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Within a week you buy a c8 to c13 adapter for your DVD player and vibrapods for all your equipment. Someone please stop me.

Not hardly, Kevin! We want you to help justify all of our "tweaker" purchases. Keep up the good work. :righton:

P.S. I'm a VibraPod owner/believer.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

... when you can't fit your new TV through the front door, so you go back to the store and buy a BIGGER TV... telling the wife you need it because it can break down into two pieces and fit.

CHRIS
      Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
        I'm a VibraPod owner/believer.
        Weren't VibraPods featured in "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"? :>)

Burke

PS -- I think "HT" stands for "Habitat of Tweakers". :>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Uh Burke, I think the movie you are thinking about is "Hot Bikini Babes From Uranus Invade Hollywood". . . . :??

Actually, it turns out that after some self-investigation, I'm pretty tweaky - no ribald comments from the peanut gallery, please. My 2-channel system has the following "things of tweak".
          1. Vibrapods (6) covered by a 1/4" glass sheet which supports the CD transport
            Lovan Iso-point feet (3) for the subwoofer
            Symposium's Svelte Shelf isolation chassis under the turntable
            steel shot filling each leg of each piece of my equipment rack
            Sound Anchor isolation stands for the L/R speakers

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• ht_addict
            • Dec 2002

Within a week you buy a c8 to c13 adapter for your DVD player and vibrapods for all your equipment. Someone please stop me.

Not hardly, Kevin! We want you to help justify all of our "tweaker" purchases. Keep up the good work. :righton:

P.S. I'm a VibraPod owner/believer.
            For my next tweak I'llbe picking up a bag of sand to fill the posts in my speaker stands. Anyone with a idea for something to between the speakers and stands top plate? Right now all I have is those foam triangles that came with the stands.

ht_addict

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Do be careful about what kind of sand you use. Ordinary sand-box sand isn't a good idea because of possible (probable?) moisture content that can rust your stand from the inside. Get a good quality builder's sand that has been dried.

Or just get about a dozen large boxes of BB's at Walmart like I did.

For speaker/stand connections - just off the top of my head, try hard rubber half-rounds like AudioQuest's Bigfeet, or possibly Bluetack.

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Eduardo
                Moderator emeritus
                • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
                ... when you can't fit your new TV through the front door, so you go back to the store and buy a BIGGER TV... telling the wife you need it because it can break down into two pieces and fit.
                Hey, I resemble that remark.

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• ht_addict
                  • Dec 2002

Do be careful about what kind of sand you use. Ordinary sand-box sand isn't a good idea because of possible (probable?) moisture content that can rust your stand from the inside. Get a good quality builder's sand that has been dried.
                  Went to my local Home Depot and picked up some play sand. It stated on the bag it was washed then completely dried. Hopefully I'll have no problems down the road with rusting.

ht_addict

Comment

• Rock Dog
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2003

I Don't know HT. Your name says it all, but maybe you need an intervention.

Even though that sand has been dried. It can still pick up moisture from the humidity in the house. I'd keep an eye on it. I was going to mention silica-sand. Which stays very dry, and is very "vibration" absorbent. But now that you've got your sand, that point is moot.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• ht_addict
                      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Rock Dog
                      I Don't know HT. Your name says it all, but maybe you need an intervention.

Even though that sand has been dried. It can still pick up moisture from the humidity in the house. I'd keep an eye on it. I was going to mention silica-sand. Which stays very dry, and is very "vibration" absorbent. But now that you've got your sand, that point is moot.
                      I actually emailed Paradigm on this one and they said sand was fine or even cat litter. Never mentioned anothing about rusting. Everythings in the basement but with the furnace running all the time in the winter and I use a dehumidifier in the summer the moisture level is low.

For my next tweak I use these cork pads to replace my foam pads that came with the stands.

Are speaker spikes overkill when trying to isolate them from the stand?

ht_addict

Comment

• Cowanrg
                        • Feb 2004

eh, its not that bad. my goal is to have every speaker bi-amped. but, the catch, no bigger than a two-channel. actually, only the rears will be bi-amped, the fronts will have two monoblocks each.

haha, i use gold-plated cables for my 12v triggers! i was sitting there deciding, and i almost slapped myself because i picked up the gold-plated ones instead. whats an extra couple bucks?

i had an intervention with one of my friends... i was deciding how i wanted to upgrade my subwoofer. right now it shakes my streetlight at the end of the block (i live in a house...). i am a velodyne dealer, and am probably going to get the new DD-18 this summer, BUT i had the thought one day to get 10 (yes, 10) of their smaller DLS series subs. one on each rear, two on each front, and the other four for LFE. that is where the friends had to get involved and say no.

Comment

• Bam!
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jan 2004

Hi there ht_addict

Have you tried ``BLACK DIAMOND RACING CONES``...these puppies are pretty amazing naturally they go under your cd player and you do already have those vibra thingy ma jingy but if you try these puppies...well.....you`ll see!

Also the comment on blue tack under speakers works very well...my buddies and I swear by them...whatever that means!

take care and there should be a support group like HTA(home theater anonamous)!!!

Salut la!

Bam!
                          Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• Bam!
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2004

Cowanrg!

Dude Home theater Anonamous for you man!

you are spooky!!!

Anyway..onto more important things like hearing aids!

Bam!
                            Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• David Meek
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Cowanrg
                              i am a velodyne dealer, and am probably going to get the new DD-18 this summer, BUT i had the thought one day to get 10 (yes, 10) of their smaller DLS series subs. one on each rear, two on each front, and the other four for LFE. that is where the friends had to get involved and say no.

Robert, speaking for the rest of the Velodyne owners at The Guide (FSR-15 owner here): WE SALUTE YOU!!!! :B If you can overcome the power requirement and cancellation issues - why not? Tell your friends not to judge until the system is in place. That is, if there is a house standing after you test it. . . .

Oh BTW, welcome to The Guide! :later:

David - HTGuide flunky
                              Our "Theater"
                              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Cowanrg
                                • Feb 2004

haha, thanks.

i dont think the room would be big enough to compensate for cancellation. plus, another issue arose (stupid, but still an issue), getting them delivered and keeping the boxes would be interesting to say the least. at 60 pounds each, thats around 1/4 ton... it adds up! i store all boxes for all my stuff, as i cycle it as soon as im allowed. it just wouldnt work. so, either the DD-18, or two of the smaller DD subs. :roll: hehe.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"