Can we talk about BEST BUY's Monster speaker cable wire for a minute?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BKSinAZ
    • Feb 2003

Can we talk about BEST BUY's Monster speaker cable wire for a minute?

How bad is Monster Cable compaired to slightly more expensive cable that is $3 or $4 per foot? I am considering the Kimber Cable 4VS. How ever I also heard of some wire called CAT, but dont know price or where to buy it.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I think the general consensus is that there's nothing wrong with Monster products just that they're overpriced for what you do get.

Cat Cables is owned by Doug (known on here as Lex and moderator of this forum ) Cat is also one of the guides sponsors. You should see a link at the bottom of the page Personally if you're going to spend that much money on speaker cable I'd get it through Doug. 1) As a member here he'll likely give you a discount which means you'll get a better product for the same or less money. 2) You'll be supporting the guide that's been helping you I'd send him an email regarding what you need.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

Monster cable covers a lot of ground. They have different products ranging from some really cheap stuff that isn't much different from generic lamp cord to some ultra-exotic stuff whose materials' names are virtually unpronounceable and whose prices are virtually unaffordable. :>) The bulk Monster wire at Home Depot or Best Buy is closer to the lower end than the upper end, but assuming you get 12 gauge, is probably OK for non-critical applications (mid-fi gear, surrounds for movies, long runs for extensions in other rooms, etcetera).

Also note that CAT CABLES, (the company and it products), is not to be confused with the generic CAT 5 (category 5 twisted pair) computer network cabling, which is not really speaker wire and not really suited for that purpose. Someone elsewhere tried to run CAT 5 for A/V use and reported that the results were not good. On the other hand, after you consult with the owner about your specific needs, any wire you purchase through CAT Cables (the forum sponsor) will be the "cat's meow" :>) (IOW, suited to the purpose as well as a good performer).

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Bryan, appreciate you considering CAT. Normally, I dont' deal in bulk wire much. But I do have some standard 12 gauge heavy duty stuff around I'd like to sell, as well as bulk Cattails wire, (the good stuff). Email me and I would be glad to discuss pricing with you. Just click my profile email here, or email me at doug "at" catcables dotcom, that is if you can decipher that.

Thanks guys (Jason and Burke) for the positive comments too.

Doug

Cable Guy DVD Collection
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• BKSinAZ
          • Feb 2003

Thanks Lex. For now, I've decided to go down to a local stereo shop yesturday where I purchased some Kimber Kable 4vs for 2.00 per foot. It was used, but I did not care. Maybe next time.

Bryan

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"