X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nicodim55
    • Nov 2003

DENON DVD 2200?

:?: Hi I'm new to this forum and I have some questions to anyone that owns the DENON DVD 2200. I recently purchased one and I haven't hooked it up yet. How is the video quality? sound quality? Does the bass management apply to SACD playback? I would really appreciate it if anyone can share some feedbacks in this matter.

nicodim55
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Nico, welcome to The Guide! :later:

You're getting some views, but no replies so even though I don't have a 2200, I thought I'd jump in. Will you be using component, S-video or composite video outputs to your TV? What about non-DVDA audio connectivity to your receiver/pre-pro - coax, Toslink, RCA?

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• nicodim55
      • Nov 2003

8) I'm going to be using component and toslink but which one do you think is better toslink or coax?

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I like coax over Toslink. Toslink sounds a bit harsher and less natural to me.

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Ditto on coax. I've said this before but I'll re-state...

It's not that one technology is inherently inferior to the other and in fact when done absolutey properly optical might have an edge. What it comes down to is that affordable coax cables are of relatively good quality while affordable optical cables are less so. In other words it's possible to produce a pretty darn good quality coax for say $50-$100 while it takes a few hundred and up IMO to make a good optical cable using real glass instead of plastic fibres etc. Also optical cables are more fragile than coax.

I don't own it either but...

For their prices, all of Denon's DVD players seem to be good performers in video and audio. They've got a good rep. Just don't expect your $500('ish) player to outperform players costing 2X and up. If the 2200 is anything like it's older brother, the 1600 which it replaced, it's an excellent performer for the $. Plus the bonus of SACD (yes I'm jealous :x ). I think you have to do bass management seperately for DVD-A and SACD on most players and you probably have to actually put an SACD disc in to access the appropriate menu.

Happy listening/viewing

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
          Jason

Comment

• nicodim55
            • Nov 2003

8) Thanks for the reply I think I'm going to go with coax you're right it's less fragile.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Well, all I can pass on at this point is the user reviews I've read. In general, the new Denon universal units (2200, 5900, and the slightly older 2900) are all getting good reviews. There's problems that are popping up, but in general they're putting out probably the best performance for the price in today's market. Reportedly, the performance of each model is directly in comparison to their price. So if someone compares the $600 2200 to the $1000 2900, the 2900 does give that much better of a audio and visual performance. Same with the $2000 5900.

Same thing other guys said about the digital link. I would say a majority of A/V enthusiasts prefer coax.

CHRIS
              Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• nicodim55
                • Nov 2003

8) I just hooked up my DVD 2200 late last night and I put in an SACD and on the front of the unit there is a button for SACD setup choice of CD, STEREO, AND MULTI. Doesn't the multi mode suppose to play all the speakers as in surround? All I'm getting is 2 channel as if I was playing stereo mode also on the screen has the L/R illuminated only. Please help and let me know if I have it hooked up correctly.

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

The SACD might only have a stereo track on it or perhaps has a stereo track on one side multi-channel on the other... Those are my best guesses.

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                  Jason

Comment

• David Meek
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Nico, do you have all six of the analog outputs from the 2200 connected to the receiver? That's required for the surround SACDs to work.

David - HTGuide flunky
                    Our "Theater"
                    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• nicodim55
                      • Nov 2003

8) Yes I do I have all 6 connected. The disc says it's a hybrid. I thought that if a disc is hybrid it can play 3 different formats ie. cd, stereo, or multi ch. Aren't most SACD'S only in 2 channel modes?

Comment

• nicodim55
                        • Nov 2003

8) The disc only has one side.

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

A hybrid is a disc that has an SACD-compatible layer and a second CD-compatible layer so that the disc can be played on either type of unit.

The disc's SACD layer may or may not have been recorded multi-channel. Whether it's a 2-channel or multi-channel recording should be shown on the jewel case and probably on the disc itself.

David - HTGuide flunky
                          Our "Theater"
                          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• nicodim55
                            • Nov 2003

8O That's what I thought the jewel case should say that it has a multi channel side if it does. Any suugestions on which SACD titles out there are available in multi channel? I want to compare the DVDA from SADC multi channel. Thanks

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

nico, try reading this thread and possibly posting that question here:

Jason

Jason

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"