• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shazbot
    • Oct 2003

Spiked feet

Hello

I am not sure if theis is the best forum for my question but here goes

I have severel spiked feet (not sure that they are called that) small upsidedown pyramides

I have placed them underneath my DVD Player and record player

Is this worth it as someone told me that I should use the original rubber mounted feet and that spikes are only for speakers 'which I have already)

Can anyone clear me up on this

Thanks

Shazbot
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Spiked feet are there to help reduce vibration in the speaker box of device case. They apparently work very well in that endevour...but its often debated if that makes any difference in the sound. All in all though it won't hurt and if you already have them I'd use them under your transports like the CD and DVD players etc where vibrations mean more harm.

Comment

• Robbie
      • Aug 2000

I would assume using spiked feet on the transport would transmit more vibration to the transport. Maybe my thinking is skewed, I don't know, but I would skip the spikes on the transports.

My .02.

Robbie

PS: and as always my legal disclaimer: ;lx

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

I don't how much I believe of all the things in this article and there are many people out there that view this sort of thing as hocus pocus and snake oils... but

Home Theatre Magazine had an article in the January issue that talked about cheap tweaks (page 64) including vibration control using heavy cones or spikes, massloading, power cords upgrades, AC power cleaners and static control. See if you can pick up a copy and give it a read

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
        Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Nope spikes are meant to decouple the device from the substate it sits on which means that and vibration on the shelf won't get transfered to the transport and vise versa. Almost all isolation devices are marketed primarily for transports and turn tables.

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Be careful not to confuse stablization and isolation. With transports, we want them stablized for low movement. With speakers, we want them isolated to not transmit sound through the floor. There is a difference there.

Now stablized and isolated is a good thing. Will cones alone accomplish this? I'm not so sure.

Isolation platform with standard bases over cones, might be the ticket.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

I'm not quite sure we're all on the same page here. I'm not an expert on feet. But conceptually it would make sense to me that if you put rigid feet on components, be they spikes, discs, or just a slab, vibration will get directly translated from the mounting surface through the rigid body to your component. Yes, spikes would be better than a slab, due to the substantially reduced surface area, but you'd still have vibration. Now, if you put something more viscous underneath, like rubber or foam feet, won't they absorb the vibration instead of transmitting it?

CHRIS
              Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• Robbie
                • Aug 2000

I get the distinct impression we're talking apples and oranges. Spikes are ment to anchor a device mainly speakers while cones (if that's what Shazbot is talking about) are meant to decouple a device from it's resting surface.

Good listening

Robbie

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"