X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Britchie
    • Nov 2003

DVD-A/SACD Toslink or RCA?

I am waiting on delivery of a denon 2900 that does SACD and DVD-A. What cables will I need to hook this up? Is the sound sent to the processor in digital format through the optical cable or will I need 5.1 interconnects to send the sound in analog format?

I am using a Rotel 1098 w/1095 amp.

Thanks,

Brad
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

DTS and DD are sent digitally so you'll just need either an optical toslink cable or a "digital" coax cable. By digital I mean any 75 ohm video cable that's well made since there is no difference between video and digital coax.For SACD and DVD-A though you're going to need 6 RCA cables to transmit the signal to the Rotel. There' isn't yet a universal method of transmitting those high resolution formats digitally (Pioneer and Denon both have proprietory formats but that doesn't apply in your case)

You might consider talking to Doug at http://www.catcables.com for your cableing needs. He's a co-owner of this site and gives discounts to those that are members here and ask nicely I have a bunch of his cables and they're excetionally well made and sound fantastic.

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

ok, so he needs 6 cables and the Rotel does the bass management if he uses no subwoofer, correct? You can't set the DVD player to turn the LFE channel off, and submit the full signal to the primary 5 channels, correct?

Excuse my semi-ignorance for DVD Audio and SACD players, as I don't own one, so I only have information to go by rather than personal experience.

Thanks for the plug Andrew. Brad's already sold though. I've worked him a deal, and I think a few folks here will like his selections which I will let him reveal when he gets them.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

The denon 2900 has full bass management I believe but it would still be useful to have 6 cables for the flexibility of running the LFE channel to the pre amp and really its not going to add much to the cost.

Comment

• Scarp
          • Mar 2003

I think the denon has a fixed crossover for the subwoofer. However you should be able to setup speaker sizes and distances (meaning delays).

The rotel 1098 will just pass the signal directly through volume control, so no bass management there.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"