X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hal
    • Jul 2003

Subwoofer for RSX-1055

Looking for a musical sub for my RSX-1055. Fronts are KEF 104/2, source = Denon DVD-2900. Room 13x18. Primary musical tastes classical, occasional pop/folk/jazz. Movies are way down on the list. Some web-based research has led to the Hsu VTF-3 or VTF-3 MK II or perhaps a smaller STF or VTF model. Other possibilities include the Velodyne SPL 1000. Any other suggestions? Does anyone here have personal experience with the Hsu line? They do offer "in home audition" but I'm sure the return shipping will cost $100 -- an expensive audition.
  • Greg K
    • Jul 2003

Another one to look at is the Adire Audio Rava.Sealed 12 in ,250w amp.Mine does real good on music,blends in so well I kept cking to see if it was on the first few weeks .Came to about $430 including shipping.Also does pretty good for HT in a med to small room.

Greg

Comment

• asacam
      • Mar 2003

I have Kef 104/2's powered by a cj 2200(200wx2) with the RSX-1055 feeding the center and rears. With the Kef cube I feel a sub is unnecessary.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

SVS, HSU, SVS, Adire.... They're all good companies (among others). I'm sure you won't be dissapointed in any of there products.

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
        Jason

Comment

• meridian506
          • Nov 2003

Hi Hal,

I'm in a similar situation, and so I've been looking at Hsu and also SVS - http://www.svsubwoofers.com.

SVS are also an online only retailer, but the support for them on AVSForum is huge - and they offer a 45 day return policy ($50 shipping back to them though) and have great technical support. I emailed them a few times last week and got answers back quickly. I also faxed them a detailed drawing of my room, and they recommended their PSB-2 ISD rather than the next more expensive one (even when I asked about the more expensive one). I suggest you do the same - email or fax a drawing.

I've still to decide - but the price of the HSU in Rosewood (for the same price as the black version if you follow the link from AVSForum homepage) is the same as the SVS in black, though I'm thinking maybe the SVS will be a better performer. Though that's based on what I've read only.

Buying from an online only manufacturer certainly is alot cheaper than buying a mainstream sub, but you do have the return shipping cost if you don't like it.

Sorry for the lack of real help, just wanted you to know about SVS too.

David.

Comment

• spiffnme
            • Apr 2003

I'm sure this is going to get bumped out of club rotel any minute now, but I'll add my two cents first.

Go with a Hsu. They simply cannot be beat for the money. I demo'd numerous other brands (all costing MUCH more) before buying my Hsu, and couldn't be happier.

www.funnyfarmcomics.net
            All Daredevil, All the Time!

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Yeah I'm sure this will be bumped shortly. Anyone see Andrew coming? 8O hee hee

To be quite honest with you hal any good quality sub is going to sound much more alike than different to another good quality sub. Sub performance tends to have a lot more to do with the room it's in and the location within that room than the sub itself. So basically as long as you buy a good model/brand and experiment with placement in your room you should be golden

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
              Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Someone called?

I'd look at the Adire Rava, Paradigm Servo 15 or perhaps a REL if the budget allows.

Comment

• zpanky
                  • Mar 2003

I have a Paradigm Servo-15 with KEF Q70's. I have no basis for comparison, as this is the first sub I have owned. Before I bought the sub, I never would have considered using a sub for music. After owning the Servo 15 for a month, the sub just dissapears. It blends in flawlessly. Bass is not overpowering at all. I tried turning the sub off, and all of a sudden, the music seemed to be missing something. I'm very happy with it.

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

The Rava is the musical sub of choice in the reasonable price range. All out best musical subs are REL and Vandersteen. Of course, Aerial SW-12 is no slouch in the 4500 price range. (cough cough)

Placement as always is important, but when it comes to musical subs, placement is not as important as the quality of the sub itself. Some subs are known to be a bit sloppy sounding, this is not what you want for most music. you want tight, musical bass. Not sloppy slam. Sloppy slam is just fine for home theater, but not for music. Make no mistake, the quality of the sub is of parimount importance for music.

Lex
                    Doug
                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• aramb
                      • Apr 2003

I have the Kef Reference Series speakers in my set-up and searched for a musical sub as well. I listen to a lot of organ music with low bass (down to 16hz). I had originally considered the HSU VTF-3, but ultimately decided on the Triad InRoom Gold PowerSub with the external rackmount amp. It is extremely good musical sub with very low, tight bass.

If you want more information on this sub, check out this link: http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/irgps.html

Paul Scarpelli at Triad recommended this sub to me and agreed to make my dealer take it back, 100% moneyback, if I didn't like it. Needless to say, I kept the sub. It is rated only to 20Hz, but testing shows that it doesn't start to drop off until below 18Hz and it reproduces frequencies at 16Hz with no problem from my personal experience.

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Meridian, please watch the salesmanship for non sponsored brands. That post read just a little bit to much like a sales ad for sv. Also please minimize mention of competing forums unless there's a really good reason.

lex
                        Doug
                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"