X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

New Multi-Channel Amp soon to be released

Anthem will soon release their new standard series amplifier, the Statement P5. Originally, the company planned to release this amp as part of their new standard series release featuring the D1 pre-pro as well as the P2 which is the 2-channel amp version of the P5. The company is experiencing some unforeseen hiccups with the D1 so instead of waiting for this to work out, Anthem decided to begin production of the P5 with a goal for general release of mid to late December 2003. Production of the P5 began earlier this week.

This amp is a beast. 325W X 5 @ 8 ohms, has 2 power cords to power it which must be connected to two dedicated/isolated 20-amp circuits, has circuit breakers vs. fuses, and weighs in at a very impressive 140+ lbs. Anthem has a preliminary MSRP (U.S.) of $5,000. It measures 23" deep including handles (as I understand it has handles on the sides and back), 19.25" wide across the front and 9.5" height including feet. It will only be available in black for the initial release.

Quite an impressive King Kong!

Jim

P.S. A big thanks to LEVESQUE for giving me the heads-up on this amp!
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

2 power cords to power it which must be connected to two dedicated/isolated 20-amp circuits, has circuit breakers vs. fuses

8O As we say in East Texas: daaaaaaang!

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Eduardo
      Moderator emeritus
      • Jun 2002

In the latest news Story: California Bans Anthem's New Amplifier.

:rofl:

http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

In Northern CA, we say...

"Ka chinnngg!"

As in the cash register ringing.

You know, there's a reason God invented monoblocks, it's so folks don't break their back moving a 140 lb five channel amp around!

Sadly, it's not uncommon that a living room simply doesn't HAVE two 20A circuits available. They probably only put the extra power cord in so that JA at Stereophile would blow up his test bench setup trying to drive all channels simultaneously! :banana:

You can get four Aragon Palladium 1K monoblocks for ~$5k at AudioAdvisor right now; I think that's a more practical solution, since you have more location and setup freedom, and they're a darn sight easier to pick up and move. And the blue LED's have a really nice glow, at least on the silver version, though I don't think they sound any better (or any worse) than the older model... :T

And they are still mirror imaged.

However, don't misconstrue my comments; I think Anthem gear is pretty cool; good sonics and value. Curious that they don't have this up on their web site yet. But having had back surgery this year, the thought of moving a 140 lB monster around makes me wince. It's bad enough that the Palladium monoblocks are about 70 lb. each. Think what a stack of four would weigh in at.... I'd try to find out, but I'm sure it would break my scale. :nonod:

-Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Sounds like an interesting amp. 2 power cords. :crazy:

As someone that owns a 150 pound amp, let me tell you, they are not for the faint of heart or back. I do thank goodness for soon having gotten rid of most heavy televisions. At loeast amps and speaker stands (like my Sf stands) are smaller! My two Extremas and stands weight over 400 pounds. Thank goodness they are in 4 pieces, lol.

Lex
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Now, waaaaaaaaaiiiiiit a minute... I can believe a design that has two power cords, to reduce the amperage coming through each power source. But requiring TWO dedicated 20-amp circuits for nothing but an amplifier? That's rather extreme. Even one would be rather surprising.

Two dedicated 20 amp circuits is what I've designed and installed in my home theater for ALL of my equipment, including 13 total amplifier channels of 250W power each (7 speakers and 6 tactile transducers) and all of my other equipment. Even that was design overkill to be on the safe side.

I'd be interested in the math to show that 40 amps of dedicated power is required for one amplifier.

CHRIS
            Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• jimmyp58
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

Chris:

Don't shoot the messenger...that is what the CEDIA review said as well as Nick from Anthem. I'm not a super-techy guy; I was just relaying what they said. Perhaps the "math" may show different but that is what was said nonetheless.

Jim

P.S. Here's the report:

home theater, high fidelity, high end, amplifiers, receivers, projectors, movies, vcrs, cds, laserdiscs, stereo, surround sound, dolby digital, dts, subwoofer, speakers, reviews, video, audio, dvd, digital audio, tubes, consumer electronics, home entertainment, preamplifiers, processors, cables, TVs, AC line conditioners, velodyne, monitor audio, sunfire, paradigm, meridian, nordost, exact power, redgum, osborn, m&k, mirage, perpetual technologies, anthem, sonic frontiers, htdv, dss

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                • Sep 2001

Jim -

Just a tip for future reference: if you don't want to be held accountable for the "facts" in a post, (so others "don't shoot the messenger"), then attribute the source up front for the information being presented. Otherwise, no one has any way of knowing who is making the claims other than the person whose name is on the post! The way it was presented, the first post sounded like you were giving us "facts" you had dug up on your own, when actually you were just parroting someone elses information without giving them "credit" for it. (A "thanks" for "heads up", while a good gesture, doesn't get you completely off the hook, either -- reporters can get tips from various sources and still have to go after the story themselves.)

Thanks (the second time around) for the URL to the source report. Interesting new product, even if one of the claims for it (in the original report) does seem a bit of a stretch. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

No worries. Jimmyp, I appreciate you sharing the info with us. That's quite an interesting amp, and I can't wait to hear more about it!

I'm just wondering what the math is that Anthem has to make the requirement of 40 dedicated amps of power.

(I keep finding it funny writing about amps and amps, being two different meanings--what's that in english, a homily? Bah... this techie guy can't remember)

CHRIS
                  Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• jimmyp58
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

Burke:

Thanks for the lashing...makes me feel real good to contribute to this forum. Guess I'll be posting to other forums from now on.

Fact one, LEVESEQUE and I have gotten to know one another quite well through this and another forum. I was bouncing some ideas off of him regarding multi-channel amp options once I dump my Rotel RMB-1095. I mentioned Krell & Classe' to him and he responded to me that Anthem would be releasing the P5 soon and he gave me the URL.

Fact two, this entire week I have been conversing with Nick from Anthem about this product. The URL gives you some basic info about the product but not a lot of detail. I was able to glean the info from him as well as the HT guy I'll probably be buying this amp from that saw it at CEDIA. Being a person that has a tad more than an ounce of brains in my noggin', I put together the info. From this, I shared it with the masses. Perhaps my etiquette doesn't meet your standards but I don't see many of the other moderators citing sources upfront either. Perhaps each time one of them states something we should all call them to task because they probably are fabricating whatever they are saying. Nonsense. I see these folks as very articulate and knowledgeable folks that we all have a great deal of respect for and they shouldn't have to cite sources to justify their comments. I have been contributing to this forum thread as well as Club Rotel for about 3 months now. No other moderator has admonished me for my prose so I thought I was doing alright. Guess not by your standards. Funny, if I have been doing this so wrong for all these months, why haven't you intervened long before this? Reality is that this is the first time I have seen your name pop up. Where have you been? Why haven't you given us notice about this product being released?

Oh well, we all live and learn something new every day. My father once told me that during my life I'll meet horses and horse's a****. I know which one I just met.

And I am confident you'll censor this too....

Jim

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                      • Sep 2001

Jim --

My comments were a reflection on the exchange in this thread, not the past three months of your, or others, contributions to the forum. If you had included the background about who you talked to and had given everyone an idea of how you got your very specific information about the new amp in your initial post, as you did in your most recent one, the last several posts would not have happened.

You are the one who cried out "don't shoot the messenger". If we don't know the source, who else can we question about what has been asserted? So I stand by my previous comments, although I am sorry if I touched a raw nerve and bruised your feelings.
                      Originally posted by jimmyp58
                      Oh well, we all live and learn something new every day. My father once told me that during my life I'll meet horses and horse's a****. I know which one I just met.
                      Haha. That's a good one. :>)

Originally posted by jimmyp58
                      And I am confident you'll censor this too....
                      You obviously don't know me very well. If you had flamed someone else, or broken other rules of the forum, I might have, but as an adult, I can take other's comments directed at me for what they are worth and have no problem letting others see them in context.

I hope you will stick around and continue to contribute to the forum.

Regards,

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"