SACD vs. Home Theatre (speaker arrangement)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frank T.
    • Oct 2003

SACD vs. Home Theatre (speaker arrangement)

What a drag! Beeing a traditional home theatre user, I naturally placed my surround speakers ABOVE ear level.

Now, having fallen in love with multi-channel SACD, too, I realize I find myself in a tough dilemma.

Listening to multi-channel SACD recordings I now constantly notice - especially if the SACD content provider intended the musical instruments to surround me - that instruments from the surrounding angles are noticably placed higher 8O

While this is a logical conclusion, it doesn't help the problem :cry:

What's the solution? To use a Y-RCA cable outgoing from my Rotel RSP-1098, plug it into power amps that can alternately be switched and get myself two extra surround speakers which I place at ear level?

While I feel the future for SACD doesn't look to bright (see my "Open letter to the SACD industry") it seems like a no-brainer of attempting a collision course with home theatre, the Titanic might just as well think it had the advantage over the iceberg...

Somebody willing to tear the rudder around?

Frank T.
    Frank T.
  • Sonnie Parker
    • Jan 2002

Hi Frank from Berlin... welcome to htguide.

I'm in the beginning stages of building a dedicated HT room and have thought about installing L-pads in two separate locations in the walls so that the surrounds can be moved for this purpose.

I get pretty good diffusion and non-localization with my current setup of bipole surrounds in the rear corners of the room at about 2' above head level when seated. I don't know that it will be the same when these bipoles are mounted on the sides in a dedicated room. Seems like I remember 2' above ear level being the THX recommended height for surrounds though. How high do you have yours mounted? Maybe there is a compromise height for both cinema dnd multi.

None the less it does seem that it's going to pose a problem for some.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• Frank T.
      • Oct 2003

Hello Sonnie,

the (directional) surround speakers are approx. 3' above ear level, so are the two back centers.

To have some kind of mechanical means of moving the speakers to their corresponding positions is a solution but doesn't improve convenience.

As a dealer I could sell more to a devoted SACD & Cinema afficionado - but this will turn away some customers, too.

I will investigate possibilities in "Club Rotel" - It seems you can advise your setup in the RSP-1098 to trigger (activate) different power amps according to different inputs, for example always trigger # 1 (power amp for front speakers) and alternately trigger # 2 (power amp for movie surrounds) or # 3 (power amp for SACD).

Frank T.
      Frank T.

Comment

• Blindamood
        • Sep 2003

While I realize it is a compromise, I have chosen to stand-mount my rear speakers just behind the seating area, toed in. The stands place the rears several inches above the height of the mains. I know this is not the 'recommended' placement for movies, but it seems to work quite well. And multi-channel surround (SACD, DVD-Audio) is awesome.
        Brad

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"