X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Want to Replace RMB-1095

I have grown weary of tracking down the buzzing from my RMB-1095. I don't have the problem with my Bryston 14B SST which is connected to the same pre-pro (Rotel RSP-1098). In speaking to Bryston, Rotel, and my ht guy, they all concur that the reason I don't hear the buzzing from my Bryston is that the ground plane is different. The Bryston guy and my ht guy feel the Bryston design is better.

So, I am thinking of trading in my 1095 for another 5-channel amp. What are your thoughts about an Anthem MCA-50? How about Classe'? How about Krell HTS (yeah I know it's really pricey!)? Any others????!!!

Jim
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net
  • SpOoNmAn
    • Sep 2003

I don't understand if it didn't buzz before, why it does now when the Bryston was added. I haven't talked to you since you last mentioned your troubleshooting to me, so I assume nothing was fixed

Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
    GameTracker -My List-
    Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

• ht_addict
      • Dec 2002

jimmyp58,

Before you go trading in or selling your 1095 I would get ahold of whatever amp your looking at and try it along side the Bryston and see if it happens with the new config. I thought I was going to take a sledgehammer to my setup while trouble shooting my buzz. I solved it by running cable from the fm tuner conection on my pre/pro to the surge protector coax hookup. All's quiet on the HT front.

ht_addict

Comment

• jimmyp58
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

What do you guys think about the Sunfire Grand Signature Cinema Series II amp?

Jim

Comment

• jimmyp58
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

All:

I have had it with my RMB-1095. I just spent another 6 hours of my life the other day trying to track down the hum gremlin. So, I decided that I am going to trade it in. I've consider three different scenarios:

a. Bryston 7B SST & 9B SST
          b. Classe' CAV-500
          c. Krell TAS

I also considered waiting for the new Anthem (P5) amp but the dealer that has the Krell also carries Anthem and he said, while the new amp will blow your mind (385W X 5), it will be at least another 6 to 9 months before we see it in the states --- I ain't waiting that long!

All the choices will cost the same and all three are from different dealers. All three will give me the same money for my trade-in (full value! --- nice to know that at least the Rotel held its value). Unfortunately, all three cost a lot. The Bryston is intriguing but I've got so many components that it would be nice to get my solution in one box. With that, I narrowed my choices down to the Classe' or Krell; I haven't decided which one yet. I listened to both and they both sound a ton better than the Rotel. That being said, they both sound really different from one another. I am leaning toward the Classe' dealer because he is going to let me take the unit home for TWO WEEKS to test it on my system --- that is awesome.

By the way, the Classe' dealer carries Rotel. Guess what? He admitted to me (even though he is giving me full credit for my 1095) that everyone that sells this amp knows there is a serious internal ground plane flaw per Rotel --- he said it is an absolute shame that my ht dealer wouldn't admit it to me. He even apologized that the other guy made me spend countless hours trying to track the problem down. He said that I could have spent 100 hours connecting/reconnecting etc. and I would have never found it because it is the amp itself. He said ~ 90% of the amps have the problem which is pretty consistent to what we've seen on the Club Rotel site (for every ten 1095 owners, 9 have the problem and there is 1 occasional person that doesn't). For the heck of it, I called another Rotel dealer in California and he admitted it to me too. In fact, he said that he won't even sell it anymore because of all the grief he has gone through. WOW!!!

Pretty frustrating and disappointing. I'll keep you posted on future developments.

Jim

Comment

• Aeromos
            • Jun 2003

That's a shame to hear. I too am looking at going with Rotel separates but wouldn't want to get any buzzing or humming. Does the RMB-1075 have the same flaws?

Aeromos
            Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
            My Collection
            Aeromos
            Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
            My Collection

Comment

• jimmyp58
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

The RMB-1075 has a different design than the 1095 and as a result, it does not have this same issue.

Comment

• Phil Rose
                • Aug 2000

If the cost of all your options are approximately the same, I would be inclined to go with a), the Bryston solution. This would insure that any sonic signature presented by the amps would be the same for all speakers since you already have the 14BSST. Also, you get the incredible, transferable 20 year warranty. With the 7BSST, which matches the 14BSST, on the center you will NEVER run out of power for that all important channel and the 9BSST gets high marks, its Class A rated, for performance. Another feature of the Bryston is the ability to stagger each amps turn-on so that you overload any circuit breakers.

Comment

• ht_addict
                  • Dec 2002

Does your 1095 have a 12v trigger on the back? Are you using it? Have you tried removing it if so? If no 12v trigger can you get your hands on a 1095 with one and see if connecting your amp and pre via the cable maybe eliminates the buzz. This may work similar to my solution of running the tv coax cable from my pre/pro to my Monster HTS1000MkII CATV input that came with the powerbar.

ht_addict

Comment

• jimmyp58
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

ht_addict:

Thanks for the advice but to be honest, I am done putting in any extra time trying to jimmy-rig this amp to stop buzzing. When both retailers told me Rotel told all merchants there is a known internal ground plane design flaw, that was the final straw for me. In the automobile world, there would have been a recall of some sort to correct the problem. By not doing so, I feel --- and this is my opinion, Rotel has turned their back on us --- their customers. They tell you to not use a cheater plug and that it is a ground loop problem with my system. They couldn't even be honest with me, 4 phone calls and 3 e-mails later that it is their device that is the problem and not my system generating a ground loop buzz. What irks me above and beyond all this is that I specifically told them my Bryston didn't have this problem and when I hooked up the interconnects from my center/surrounds to the Bryston and did NOT get the buzz on the speakers connected to it, they told me to just keep trying to isolate the source.

It's time to move forward with an alternate solution. Sadly, I really like the sonics from the RMB-1095 and, it is going to cost some serious $$$ to find an alternate solution. But heck, I've got so much invested anyway so what the heck. I demo'd the Classe' CAV-500 side-by-side with the RMB-1095 and there is a very noticeable difference --- there should be for an additional $5,500!!! I haven't done an A/B yet with the Krell but I am confident I'll notice a difference there too. I found out from the Krell dealer that Anthem is coming out with a new amp after the first of the year --- the "P5". 380W X 5 and weighs > 150lbs. It has two power supplies that must be plugged into their own and separate 20 amp isolated circuits. It has circuit breakers on the back vs. fuses --- I just may wait a couple of months for this beast to be released.

Thanks again for the inputs.

Jim

Comment

• ht_addict
                      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by jimmyp58
                      ht_addict:

When both retailers told me Rotel told all merchants there is a known internal ground plane design flaw, that was the final straw for me.
                      Have you emailed Rotel regarding this information? They could be feeding you a line because they see the trouble your having and want to make a sale. Try the 12v trigger and see if it solves your problem. Doesn't hurt to try.

ht_addict

Comment

• jimmyp58
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

ht_addict:

I did in fact e-mail and speak to Rotel about this as I indicated in my previous reply. They kept telling me it is a ground loop problem with my system. Given that I spoke to two other Rotel dealers and they told me that they were told by Rotel there is a design flaw, I find it hard to dispute this. I can understand your point that they might say this in order to sell me something but that would only be the case for one of the dealers --- the guy who would like to sell me the Classe' CAV-500. The other guy, I just called him and told him I moved into the area and that I was experiencing some buzzing from my speakers, I saw that he was a Rotel dealer, so I thought I'd give him a call to see if he could help. He told me straight-up, he was told by Rotel there was a design flaw with the ground plane for the 1095. He never tried to sell me something else. He told me he stopped selling the 1095, which was his best selling multi-channel amp, "until Rotel gets their act together", because of all the hassles he has gotten from it.

All this being said, I asked myself, why would I want to continue doing business with a company such as this? The answer was clear to me, I don't. If we were talking about a $400 amp, I could understand that the manufacturer did not put the highest quality parts in this unit. But for goodness sake, we're talking about a flippin' $2,000 piece of equipment! Yeah, it's not a 5-channel Chord amplifier for $17,000 nor a Krell TAS that goes for $7,500 but still, $2,000 is a chunk of change and the consumer should expect a level of quality such that a $0.49 device or a 12V connector shouldn't be needed to correct this problem.

Fundamentally, I wonder why I don't dump my 1098. I absolutely love this unit but I am beginning to wonder if it is really worth $3,000 seeing the lack of quality control that went into producing the 1095. Take a look at all the threads about the issues folks have with their Rotel gear. Our Club Rotel site is littered with comments regarding problematic issues. Go to the Bryston site and all you see is questions about how something works. But for now, I'll anxiously wait for the new firmware of the 1098 to come out and enjoy this unit.

I will be either going with a Bryston 7B SST for my center channel (600W X 1) and 9B SST for my surrounds (120W X 5) or the new Anthem Statement P5 amplifier (325W X 5) to replace my 1095. I'll be making my decision by week's end.

Thanks again for the advice. Sure, I could try your potential solution but for me it has gotten down to fundamental principles.

Jim

Comment

• ht_addict
                          • Dec 2002

The other guy, I just called him and told him I moved into the area and that I was experiencing some buzzing from my speakers, I saw that he was a Rotel dealer, so I thought I'd give him a call to see if he could help. He told me straight-up, he was told by Rotel there was a design flaw with the ground plane for the 1095. He never tried to sell me something else. He told me he stopped selling the 1095, which was his best selling multi-channel amp, "until Rotel gets their act together", because of all the hassles he has gotten from it.
                          He may have not tried to sell you something on the spot but a helping hand goes a long way to bring you into his establishment. Now I'm not saying he's lying but I did email Rotel to let them know that I got rid of the buzz by the method I described. I also asked them about the flaw and was told by Tim Wyatt that there isn't one and he indicated that he talked to the service manager. Is Rotel lying? Who knows. I hope you have better luck with your new amp, which ever one you get.

ht_addict

Comment

• jimmyp58
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Aug 2003

ht_addict:

Thanks again for the advice and sentiment.

Jim

Comment

• Frank T.
                              • Oct 2003

I freely admit I am a Rotel "newbe" but with all respect and sympathy for your frustrating situation, there is one thing I feel you do not acknowledge:

The Club Rotel offers brutal, but honest and fair transparency of what Rotel products can and can't do - is there an equal club for the other components you consider? And having read the up-date list on one particular Rotel product I can't help but feel these guys at Rotel take consumer remarks serious and stay in touch with the folks through people like Andrew Pratt.

However, in your particular case and/or environment the 1095 does not work properly, other components are immune to the effects you are describing.

Interference from exterior signals (cable TV) are a common case here in Berlin, producing humming noise etc. in AV systems. Filters I sold in my old shop became a bestseller, fixing the problem in 9 of 10 cases.

Frankly, I do not expect a good device to perform flawless in a critical environment.
                              I had a customer complaining his two Toshiba's projector lamps were done after 200 hours. Eventually he admitted living in an old East Berlin house ready for demolition where most AV installers here are aware that the current supply in East Berlin gets as low as 150 V and jumps up to 300 V. Guess what? I did NOT give him my rental projector after I was able to foresee its fate.

I ordered my 1075 demo unit a couple of days ago, but will take your experience into serious consideration when meeting customers interested in the 1095.

I am aware that doesn't help your situation, but if I were in your shoes, I'd reconsider. After all, is there pricewise an alternative to the RSP-1098?

Frank T.
                              Frank T.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2003

Thanks for the reply Frank. I am not going to throw-in-the-towel on the RSP-1098. I really like it and while I am frustrated with Rotel and the RMB-1095, I won't let that cloud my judgement on this pre-pro. But to answer your question, there is an alternative to it --- the Anthem AVM-20. Sure, it doesn't have the tft display as the 1098 does but it does have other features the 1098 doesn't have. I considered this pre-pro when I made my move and to me, it was a push between the two. Price was identical so that didn't matter. Sound was extremely comparable so that didn't matter. I liked some of the features of the AVM-20 but it really came down to the tft display quite honestly as I have and listen to a fair amount of dvd-a's.

I agree with you that one shouldn't expect every device to perform flawlessly. That's utopia. But what frustrated me was the deception. Be honest about it and instead of sending me on a wild goose chase, exchange the flippin' thing or to the ht dealer, bring your demo unit to my house to test it out (his didn't have the hum/buzz). It was the fact he sold it to me and didn't want to deal with me or my issue --- just give him the money.

I would also agree that for the vast majority of folks on the Club Rotel site they are stand-up guys and offer some very good advice and/or solid experience. I appreciate and value this. There are a few others though...

And yes, Bryston has a similar forum on another site that folks frequent and talk about their products. The flip-side of their forum versus Club Rotel is that you rarely if ever see folks complaining about features not working and waiting months, and months, and months for a freakin' firmware upgrade. It seems Bryston's approach to product R&D and delivery of that product is different than Rotel's because their customers just don't have the issues as it appears Rotel owners have. I am not aware of an Anthem/Sonic Frontiers Club but I have met a bunch of folks on the Club Rotel site that have the AVM-20 and all speak glowingly about the product without the back-end issues the Rotel owners have. I have also met some AVM-20 owners at Home Theater Spot forum and they don't have issues either. I know that whenever I have had questions of Rotel's tech folks it generally takes them a day or so to respond. The overwhelming report from Anthem owners is MINUTES. I own Def Tech speakers and Chet from Def Tech e-mails back within 15 minutes.

I appreciate and value your comments. Know that there a bunch of folks, not just me, on the Club Rotel site that have had the very same issue with their 1095 as me. And they are frustrated too.

Thanks again.

Jim

Comment

• Matt Sprouls
                                  • Apr 2003

Jim,

I started out with a Rotel RSX-1055 then added a 1095. I started out having real bad speaker buzz and did find a ground loop and lowered the noise by 95%, it was the ground on my SAT switch box outside the house. I can't hear the buzz from my setting position any longer but can if I am real close to the speaker; it is more of a frying or sizzle sound. Are we talking about the same noise here or am I hearing a sound that is a lot lower than what you are talking about?

I was one of the ones that went with an AVM20 when I made the move from my Rotel Rx. Once I heard that the 1098 was cutting off the leading edge of digital inputs I did not look back. I am not bashing Rotel but there are other options. I have emailed Anthem in the past with a problem and got a response with Beta code attached to the email that fixed my problem within minutes. Nick and the boys at Anthem or very good at what they do.

Regards,
                                  Matt
                                  Regards,
                                  Matt

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2003

Matt:

Without the cheater plug, it literally sounds like a tornado is coming through --- it's that loud. Put the cheater on and it sounds like a steak frying in a pan. I brought home over the last week a Classe' CAV-500 (that I have no intention of buying) and an Anthem MCA-50 from a different dealer. Hooked both up and guess what, NO buzz/hum --- just white noise.

I can attest to Nick from Anthem and his response, etc. I e-mailed him this week about the release of the Statement P5 amp. He got back to me in moments. Good and credible anwers and he even tried to go through additional scenarios regarding the buzz from my 1095 in order so that I didn't have to spend more money. He clearly didn't have to do this. All-in-all, I was very impressed. I just may take the plunge for this beast later this month.

Thanks for the advice.

Best Regards...

Jim

P.S. I hadn't noticed it before but I was doing some exploring on different forums on HTGUIDE the other day and noticed the "Stickyville" site. I opened it and saw that there is an Anthem "sticky" so I opened it. Guess what, the folks there chose to not produce their own "Club Anthem" forum because they didn't need to --- very few issues on their products and if there is, they are remedied swiftly. Compare that to the Club Rotel site --- issue after issue after issue...

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

That's definitely one way to look at it, and to an extent, you are certainly right. Some of what is talked about in specific product clubs is maintenance, upgrade, and repair. But also realize that clubs are created for products when people enjoy using them and talking about it with others. That's why I see so many clubs around, be it for BMW, Rotel, Parasound, Corvette, Mini Cooper, Waverunner, Cessna, or whatever.

The more interest and participants you have, the larger the club..

CHRIS
                                      Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Michael Mohrmann
                                        • Feb 2003

P.S. I hadn't noticed it before but I was doing some exploring on different forums on HTGUIDE the other day and noticed the "Stickyville" site. I opened it and saw that there is an Anthem "sticky" so I opened it. Guess what, the folks there chose to not produce their own "Club Anthem" forum because they didn't need to --- very few issues on their products and if there is, they are remedied swiftly.
                                        This is not quite true. A great many AVM-20 owners have been posting about issues and upgrades over at HTF (www.hometheaterforum.com). There have been highly visible AVM-20 threads there for almost 2 years. Trust me, the AVM-20 has not been trouble-free during those 2 years!

As to a dedicated "Anthem Club" here, this was attempted awhile back, but not enough interest was generated in pulling over HTF and AVS forum members. There are enough features and setup options with the AVM-20 that a separate forum would be great to discuss these in individual threads. But I think that Lex wanted more traffic and I don't blame him for shutting it down.

Michael

Comment

• ht_addict
                                          • Dec 2002

Matt:

Without the cheater plug, it literally sounds like a tornado is coming through --- it's that loud. Put the cheater on and it sounds like a steak frying in a pan.
                                          There seriously has to be something else wrong within your system for it to still sound like a steak frying with the cheater plug. Even in my situation with running the cable from the FM tunner connection on my pre/pro to the surge protector took the noise down to the point where my ears have to be up against the speaker. I still say before you get rid of the 1095 get the cables need to use the 12v trigger and see if that grounds the problem. If it doesn't you can always take them back.

ht_addict

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Aug 2003

ht_addict:

This is going to sound argumentative but please don't take it that way. I understand and appreciate that you are trying to give me some advice on how to possibly solve this buzzing issue with the 1095 based on your experience. But here are the facts and I made the decision to move forward --- i.e., dumping this amp:

1. Amp sounds like a freight train without cheater plug on. Buzzing occurs from speakers supplied by the 1095 (center & surrounds). 1095 is plugged into Rotel RSP-1098. Cheater plug greatly lessens buzzing and need to physically place your ear directly on the speaker to hear noise (like steak frying).

2. Bryston 14B SST amp is plugged into RSP-1098 too and front speakers, which are powered by this amp, have zero buzzing coming from them.

3. I have unplugged, plugged, unplugged, and replugged all components. Still get buzz and source cannot be isolated. I completely understand buzzing can come from a variety of sources most notably Cable TV.

4. The interconnects from the 1098 to the 1095 were redirected to the Bryston 14B SST. Result: NO buzzing. Plug them back into 1095, buzzing galore.

5. Brought home for demo purposes Classe' CAV-500 & Anthem MCA-50. Plugged them into same interconnects used for 1095. Result: NO buzzing from either amp/speaker.

I can again appreciate that perhaps based on your experience this alternative may be viable but the logic flow from the above scenarios is hard to refute that the amp has a problem. Most notable is step 5 where two different amps were connected to the pre-pro using the exact same interconnect cables as the 1095 --- I literally and simply unplugged the 1095 and connected the new amp in its place and the result was no buzzing. By your logic then if the 12V trigger should/could help, I should have buzzing with these amps too and should have to use this device to correct the problem. The fact is, there's no problem to correct.

The reality is, there is a design flaw with the 1095. While it may be far more economical to simply purchase a 12-v trigger cable and if it works use this to solve the buzz, this is merely a band-aid to the problem. The reality is there is simply something still wrong with the amp. I spoke to two electrical engineers Friday while I was at work. I explained, in great detail, all the scenarios I have cited in this and other forums. I explained this to my electrician too. Their conclusion, all independent of one another, there is something wrong with the amp. Take the thing back and get a different one or get an amp from a different manufacturer.

Again ht_addict, I appreciate your persistence in trying to help me solve this matter. Understand that input, such as what you are giving me, is what makes these forums so valuable (invaluable). But at some point it is time to move on and I have reached that point --- I am just not certain if it will be with the new Anthem Statement P5 amp (most likely) or with a couple Bryston amps (7B SST for center & 9B SST for surrounds).

I look forward to conversing with you on other topics in the future.

Best Regards,

Jim

Comment

• espo
                                              • Nov 2003

What do you guys think about the Sunfire Grand Signature Cinema Series II amp?

Jim
                                              jimmyp58
                                              I am curious as to why you are no longer considering this amp? I am considering it along with 2 Bryston 6B SST amps. Can the Bryston amp be purchased from any non-authorized dealer without effecting the 20 year waranty, since it is transferable and takes effect the date of manufacture, not date of purchase? The P5 sounds interesting, but I would prefer two amps over one 140 pounder that requires 2-20 amp outlets.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Aug 2003

Espo:

I scratched it off the list after doing some investigating about. First let me say that there are a host of folks that swear by this amp. There are many others, especially unbiased authors/reviewers, that all say that there is an inherant hiss/noise with this amp. Apparently its predecessor had more issues than this one but it is still there nonetheless. Heck, I am getting rid of an amp that has noise. Second, I go back to the days I owned a Phase Linear amp/pre-amp --- this was a Bob Carver product before they had some problems and he formed his own company. That amp had a lot of noise. So I ask myself, what has changed over 23 years?! Third, I look at its power rating --- very impressive but how can such a small amp that only weighs roughly 35 lbs. put out so much power? It seems to me, and this is my opinion, that there is some hocus pocus that goes on with Carver products. True, he is a genius and I clearly do not have the engineering background to refute his claims. But I also know there are others with far more knowledge than me than can sort through the claims and get down to brass tacks and they see the product for what it is. I know locally that 6 months ago there were 3 retailers that carried the Sunfire subwoofers. Another small beast. Every one of them stopped carrying the product due to quality control issues.

I hope this answers your question as to why I am no longer considering this product. I will either go with the Anthm P5 or a combo of a Bryston 7B SST & 9B SST; I have a 14B SST to power my front speakers. I love the Bryston quality, sound, and 20-year warranty. I don't know about 2nd-hand dealers if they can transfer the warranty. Sorry I can't help there. There are two primary reasons to NOT consider the Bryston combo --- space and cost. The P5, though it is a monster, will fit into my cabinet better than the 2 Bryston amps. In addition, the P5 costs roughly (MSRP) $3,000 less.

Hope this answers your questions....

Jim

Comment

• espo
                                                  • Nov 2003

Jim
                                                  Thanks for info, very helpful. As you can see from my other post, I too am very skeptical of the Sunfire output ratings.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Aug 2003

All:

I pulled the trigger and dumped my 1095. I had some major WAFs to overcome but I did. I purchased a Bryston 7B SST for my center channel speaker and an Earthquake CineNova Grande 5 for my surrounds; I will continue to use my Bryston 14B SST for my mains.

What a phenomenal sound --- I am still picking my jaw up off the ground. Besides this, I can attest that neither the center channel nor surrounds has the wonderful buzz/humm I experienced with the 1095. And I don't have a cheater plug on either of them. What a revelation! Sorry for the sarcasm but a host of folks don't want to believe nor own up to the fact there is a problem with this amp. Band-aid remedies are simply that. True, a person may have a ground loop issue but person, after person, after person all seem to complain about this problem and only a lucky handful can take their 1095 out of the box, hook it up, and turn the amp on without any buzzing or humming.

I am definitely a happy camper!

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                                    😀
                                                    😂
                                                    🥰
                                                    😘
                                                    🤢
                                                    😎
                                                    😞
                                                    😡
                                                    👍
                                                    👎
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"