X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hal
    • Jul 2003

Library-style CD & DVD storage options?

I'm looking for a storage system capable of handle a large and expanding CD/DVD-A collection. I recall seeing something in a library -- a metal cabinet with 4 or 5 slideout drawers, each capable of holding at least a couple of hundred disks. I tried a Google search but was unsuccessful at finding the right product. I'd greatly appreciate a few suggestions (or some good alternatives) -- please include web addresses!
  • gd
    • Jan 2003

Here is a line of modular compact storage systems... RACKIT.

They are extremely well-built, and are an ideal cabinet-style solution for all types of media, from vinyl to DVD... I've got some 30 units for various storage.

They're not cheap... and I really dislike blonde wood finishes... but their functionality outweighs all that.
    greg (gd to you)
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Greg,

Hope you don't mind, but I mod'ed your URL post into a link. Cool stuff.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Originally posted by gd
        ...and I really dislike blonde wood finishes...
        Spray paint can work wonders. :>)

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• robertwb70
          • Oct 2003

here is what I use and compared to the wood units it's a bargain(price per capacity)

http://www.can-am.ca -I can't figure out how to make this a link-I need classes

=+=+=+=+=+=+=
          "The appreciation of music is subjective.The reproduction of music isn't."-Bill Dudleston
          =+=+=+=+=+=+=
          "The appreciation of music is subjective.The reproduction of music isn't."-Bill Dudleston

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

Robert -

I took the liberty of turning your URL into a live link. To do that, when you are typing or editing your post, simply precede the URL with the character string "[ url ]" (without the quotation marks and spaces) and follow it immediately with "[ /url ]" (again without the quotation marks and spaces). Also note that there should be no spaces between the brackets and the URL itself. If that explanation isn't crystal clear, click on the Edit button on your post and look where I fixed your URL and you'll see what I added.

Meanwhile, it looks like there are a lot of ways to deal with our CD and DVD collections, ranging from "storing" them in stacks on the floor :>) to cardboard boxes, to shelves, to elegant storage systems like they offer at that URL. :>) Now the next question, is how to most efficiently file and effectively retrieve a given title with any of these solutions?

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I really like the idea of two stacked 400-slot DVD changers. The only drawbacks IMO are two-fold:

1) It's a pain if you want to take one or more of the DVD's with you somewhere.

2) The PQ (from what I've seen) isn't up to par with my Panasonic RP-91 DVD player.

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• gd
                • Jan 2003

David and Burke - - - thanks for the URL help & tutorial... one of these days I'll become web-literate.

I like the minimalist look of the Can-Am storage products... are they as sturdy as they look?

How to sort and find software?... well, everyone has a method I guess... for the all-important music collection I go alphabetical by composer / artist... meanwhile, movies are still randomly filed (reasons unknown).
                greg (gd to you)
                Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Aeromos
                  • Jun 2003

One way I found works real well for me in terms of filing is to separate movies by the type of movie that they are. I've kept them pretty much this way:

Action/Adventure (including sci-fi)
                  Comedy
                  Drama
                  Suspense/Thriller
                  Martial Arts
                  Kids/Family
                  Music DVD's (concerts)

Aeromos
                  Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                  My Collection
                  Aeromos
                  Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                  My Collection

Comment

• robertwb70
                    • Oct 2003

thanks burke-I tried about 5 different times to get that to work-including using the URL button-I must have had a space in there or something
                    the can-am cabinet is not as sturdy as I would prefer but then they show stacks 3 high with no disclaimer as to overloading or weight-plus mine has survived at least 10 moves while I was in the army

I like being able to read the titles without turning my head sideways like when I had one of those 3 bar vertical type racks(although it is more impressive seeing all those CDs at once)

I used to organize my collection by the most disc by same artist then when it got to singles it was mostly memory-the old lady bitched so much I had to finally go alpha-but I still seperate by types
                    1-rock/pop
                    2-R+B/black-sometimes hard to keep out of pop but mostly I like the
                    older R+B that is much easier
                    3-country-also mostly older stuff
                    4-classical/instrumental/soundtracks and misc

=+=+=+=+=+=+=
                    =+=+=+=+=+=+=

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"