X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bsacco
    • Sep 2003

adding Parametric EQ to AV amp

I'm considering buying a Yamaha RX-Z1 or RX-V1. If I do, I'd like to add a parametric EQ for more control over the sound in my room as well as my subwoofer's response curve.

THe problem is that the EQ will add distortion to the signal. I've heard of folks using the Behringer Feedback Destroyer for sub EQ. IT's a two channel unit.

Does anyone out their have experience adding a parametric EQ to their systems. Is their one unit that can handle the sub and the mains at the same time?

THanks-
    BOb
  • Sonnie Parker
    • Jan 2002

Provided funds are not a problem there are a couple of options. I would think it would depend on how much flexibility you are looking for as well.

Have you completed any measurements to see what the response curves look like? I would do this first.

As far as sub eq's are concerned you can't hardly beat the bang for the buck you get with the BFD. It has almost unlimited flexibility.

There are several other eq's available though that will handle the sub along with the other channels as well or if you end up needing more flexibility you could combine one for your 5 or 7 channels with the BFD.

Here are a few you can look into:

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• sfdoddsy
      • Sep 2000

I'd take a long hard look at the Behringer DEQ2496. It has ten bands of parametric EQ per channel, digital ins and outs, auto room EQ, 1/6 octave RTA and a bunch more. Cost is about $300.

Cheers

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
      Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I strongly suggest auditioning any of the digital EQ units fullrange before committing to multi-channel. My ears are ok with the Behringer gear doing it's thing on subwoofers. But it's like fingernails on a blackboard when I hear one a running fullrange signal.

The Symetrix that Sonnie linked too is the finest analog EQ I've ever heard (virtually transparent for all intents and purposes). But a full 6 channels would be $$$$$$.

BTW, it's a good idea to use passive treatments to flatten the in-room response, then fine tune with EQ.

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• brucek
          HTG Expert
          • Aug 2000

My ears are ok with the Behringer gear doing it's thing on subwoofers. But it's like fingernails on a blackboard when I hear one a running fullrange signal.
          Completely agree. I couldn't live without my equilization for the sub frequencies. But to use it full range?

No one messes with that signal..........brucek

Comment

• intelonetwo
            • Jan 2003

I have a Yamaha RX-V1 and I am using a Behringer UltraCurve Pro DEQ 24/96. Although, I have not used the UltraCurve to its fullest it does have as Steve said have Parametric, Dynamic, and Graphic Eq's along with room eq.

I may end up using a Behringer Feedback Destroyer for the low frequencies. I will connect this unit via the RX-V1 subwoofer Left and Right outputs.

MI-II-CENTS

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Have you considered the internal EQ offered by the RX-V1? Look at page 50 in the owner's manual. It may have enough capability to get you where you want to go.
              1. RX-V1 manual (PDF format)

P.S. I'm an RX-V1 owner, too. :T

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bruce
                • Aug 2000

The new Yamaha receivers (1400, 2400, Z9) have digital domain parametric EQ already built-in. It runs in an automated mode (i.e. you can't manually adjust it at all) and it's center frequencies are on 1/3 octave boundaries (except for some of the bass region where it's 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz), but it seems to be a start at room correction.

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"