X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • luszer
    • Feb 2003

Thank You Arcam

Recently came across a s/h Arcam CD72, I immediately snapped it up from a local hifi shop. I compared it to the 92 and yes did notice a difference but not major sonic differences, especially when comparing price.
    I have a NAD 521i and the CD72 takes the cake and is head and shoulders above the NAD. The Arcam is fast, smooth and makes the music creamy like. What a wonderful machine, I can't wait to get some rack space and incorporate it into the Rotel system
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Nice find...the Arcams are nice players:T

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Congrats!

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• luszer
        • Feb 2003

Thank you, it really makes for hours of enjoyment. I needed to budget for purchasing more music, I'm listening to different kinds of music just because I'm experimenting.
        Before owning Rotel gear and upgrading source equip. to the likes of the NAD and Arcam CDPs, I had a very difficult time identifying the subtle and major sonic differences. Now I think I'm starting to develop an ear for it and have a better understanding of what to listen for.
        But like anything, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, in this case what we all hear with our setups.

Comment

• Danbry39
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2002

Oh man, am I glad to read your post. I too have the Arcam 72T. Bought it after auditioning quite intensely for a short period of time other CD players in its range, and the second I heard the Arcam, it was down to price.

Question: Did you get the silver or black. I got the silver to blend will with my Rotel 1066.

Keith
          Keith

Comment

• luszer
            • Feb 2003

Danbry39

thanks, i actually have the opposiite, black 1066 so the black cd72 was a bonus. it's actually not the"text" version, so an older model but sensational non the less.

Return Question: Have you messed with an aftermarket PC?

Comment

• Danbry39
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2002

Well, in a way, yes. All along the dealer had been telling me how much better it would sound if I bought the Transparent power cord. I took out the dough, saying, "Thanks, but I don't really think I'll need the power cord." He said I had to have one, pulled a used one off of another component, handed it to me and told me it was mine for free because he just thought it was that important. Never A/B'd it with the stock cord, so I just went on thinking my usual thoughts that power cords couldn't really make much difference, that is until I received a VH Audio power cord for my Rotel 1066 pre-pro tonight. I was shocked in that it really did improve the sound. I was fully ready to return them, but after reading the postings of several users, I thought I'd at least give it a go.

You should go read the thread on power cords in Club Rotel. It changed me from kind of indifferent to a believer.

Only thing is that I can't figure out how they work. More pure copper? Better shielding? I haven't a clue.

Lex, you're the good doctor of all things cable. Got any ideas on this?

Keith
              Keith

Comment

• luszer
                • Feb 2003

Danbry39
                I had all intentions on purchasing a Flavor 3 for my 1066 last week, however with the CDP pickup I waited until this week. I figured on getting familiar with the Arcam and now it is time to buy a Flavor 3 and I believe a Flavor 1 for the CD72. Both ends of the stock cord have 3 prongs, so I assume the Flavor 1 is used on the CD72? I also have a RB991 that I might replace its PC as well, also a flavor 1.
                Do you receive a larger benefit on say the 1066 and a CDP over replacing a power amps powercord?

Comment

• Danbry39
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Sep 2002

Like I said, I've never used a stock cord with the Arcam. Really wouldn't even know where the stock cord is anymore. So, the only thing I've ever tried both on was the 1066. That's what made me the believer, but the dealer insisted on the Transparent for the Arcam, so he believed it really helped there.

Keith
                  Keith

Comment

• brucek
                    HTG Expert
                    • Aug 2000

Both ends of the stock cord have 3 prongs
                    I have an ARCAM Alpha 9 CD player that I really like it. Beautiful sound. It is the predecessor to the CD92 and is essentially the same as the 92 except the Alpha 9 has a case that looks like it came from Wal-Mart. The CD92 and 72 have really nice cases.

One of the interesting things about it (and I suppose the CD72 and CD92) is that while ARCAM supplies a three prong cord, it doesn't use the third prong. If you look into the female connector at the back they only have the two prongs. They get away with this by double insulating the case. Weird that they supply the three prong cord though - they even mention this anomaly in the manual...

This feature is a bonus in my opinion, since it eliminates potential ground loop problems.

ARCAM players are also interesting because even when you shut the main power switch off, they leave the DC power supply running. That way it's always warmed up and ready to go.

brucek

Comment

• luszer
                      • Feb 2003

bruceK

You know, I just replaced my stock cord with a VH Audio PC, actually has a 3 prong male and female end. I only have about 10 hours cooked on the PC, but the music already seems a little faster and tighter. Its recommended 100 hours burn in, and then more improvement at 200 hours. Patience.....
                      As for the Arcam the build quality is great and musically head and shoulders above my NAD 521i CDP.
                      I saw you profile, I actually demoed the Arcam through some Proarc floorstanders at the dealer, very nice. I forget the model

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"