Is your center channel on to of your RPTV? How much weight is too much for the frame.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ht_addict
    • Dec 2002

Is your center channel on to of your RPTV? How much weight is too much for the frame.

I was just curious who puts their Center Channel on top of their RPTV? How heavy is it, and are you worried about it causing the TV to bend in the middle? I have the new Paradigm Studio CC 470 and a Panny 47' RPTV.

ht_addict
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

I have heard of sag occuring in some heavily platstic RPTVs. My old Elite, I think you could have placed a VW beetle in the middle of it without sag, lol. But then, it has a very heavy wood frame.

If your TV has quite a bit of room below it try sitting the speaker about 12-14" off the ground, and angle it up toward your ears. You may find it sounds a lot better that way rather than on top anyway. I discovered this myself when my RPTV went out, and I tried a new 50" LCD TV. I had to put the speaker below it, and wow, it really sounded great!

Now of course, with front projection, I have nothing to sit it on anyway, lol.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Like Lex, I have a Pioneer Elite and have a 45 lb. center channel sitting on top with zero problems. It's been 2+ years with no sag. Don't know about the Panny though. How solid is the frame?

Also, if you go with the speaker on the RPTV, get a stand for it that de-couples it from the surface of the TV. That'll decrease the "boxy" sound inherent in a CC resting directly on the flat upper surface of the TV cabinet.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

My center channel is 53 pounds and sits on my 55" Mitsubishi. Following the instructions of other owners of my TV, I placed weather stripping around the left, right, and rear sides of the TV and had a piece of glass built which I, in turn, place over the weather stripping so that it rests about a half inch about the TV. The weight is thus distributed to the far left, right, and rear edges of the TV, which I've been told are the strongest support positions on Mitsubishis. So far, so good.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

I've had a 30-pound (or so) Platinum Audio Studio 2 center channel on top of my Mitsubishi 46805 46" RPTV for 3 years without any problems. The top sags maybe 1/4 inch but that's about it. The screen frame is pretty strong and it keeps the top from sagging any further.

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
          My HT Site

Comment

• Robbie
            • Aug 2000

My 43" Hitachi sagged with my Polk (and it's not really all that heavy). Actually distorted the screen. Cured it by placing a nice poplar board I stained and polyurathaned (?) to redistribute the weight across the top.

Robbie

Comment

• LEVESQUE
              • Oct 2002

My Paradigm CC-570 sits directly on my Sony 40XBR800 w/o any problems.

But this is so big a speaker it's almost covering all the tv!!! :LOL:
              To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Very interesting. I've never considered bending. My heavy Klipsch center (don't know weight offhand) sat on my 36" Sony Wega direct view for many years. Those Wegas are STURDY, though, (aren't they, Erik, from our moving experience???) and there's no way it would have bent.

Incidentally, even though the Klipsch KLF-C7 center is shielded, it caused a color distortion in the top of the screen at first. The interesting thing is, the distortion "healed" over the course of a week or so, presumably from the TV adapting to the magnetic field of the speaker, and the display came back to normal.

CHRIS
                Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• SpOoNmAn
                  • Sep 2003

I have my Def TechCLR2500 atop my Pioneer SD-533HD5. The cabinet isnt as thick as the Elites, but at the same time, not as thin as the plastic sets either. Its god a decent wood frame that supports the 2500 nicely.

There might be a problem however when I slap the clr3000 up there. Weighing in at over 60 lbs could prove to be a task indeed. Hopefully I'll have my Runco projector by then and this will no longer be an issue. :roll:

Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Theatre Photo Album (A work in Progress)
                  GameTracker -My List-
                  Life is short, Play it LOUD!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"