X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Headphones for Picky Audio/Video Afficienados

I'm considering buying a set of nice headphones I can use at home when needed, as well as take with me on my frequent travels to watch movies and listen to music on portables.

Due to this, features of folding up to be compact and noise-cancellation would be nice, so I could even use them on the airplane. However, most sets I've found that incorporate these features seem to compromise a bit on performance, so I'm willing to do without the features. Similarly, I don't think I need wireless headphones, especially if there's any chance of signal degradation over the wireless transmission. The new Sony Surround Sound headphones would be absolutely cool, but they're like $700 or something.

I want a nice high-end set that will sound very, very nice. I've got a big noggin and ears, so I think large wrap-around fully enclosed ear cups will be necessary.

The brand I keep looking at the most is (naturally, perhaps) Sennheiser. The Hd-590 looks particularly nice, even incorporating velvet ear cups for maximum comfort and no squeek noises if it shifts on your ears. Best Buy even has this listed on the website for $199, which is a fantastic price. I would like the HD-600 model of course, but that's about twice the price or more.

What do other people use? Recommendations?

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Chris, having listened to the Sennheisers, I'll always recommend them. Oh BTW, the NeedleDoctor site has the 600's for $299.

A good alternative to the 590's is the Grado SR-225 which sells for $179 at AudioAdvisor. The only issue is these aren't the wrap-around ear cups - they are the rest-on-the-whole-ear types.

Good huntin'.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• sfdoddsy
      • Sep 2000

You could try these:

Find the best headphones, speakers and home audio. 365-day returns, free shipping over $100 and legendary customer service!

Steve's DIY Dipoles
      Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Uh, oh... I just read some user reviews on the Sennheiser 590 and 600's. All were very positive, but they also said that due to the "open air" design of these units (not sure exactly what that entails) there is a decent amount of sound that leaks through the headset, both in and out. Lets in ambient noise, and lets out headphone sound. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of headphones? I want to be able to wear headphones on airline flights, in dorm rooms, etc, without bothering the people around me.

CHRIS
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Phil Rose
          • Aug 2000

Sounds like you need a pair of Etymotic ER-4P or Shure E2-C phones. They are in-ear, fit in your pocket for transport and are very well regarded. If you really want to read about and get phone recommendations check out this web site http://www.head-fi.org/ Also, don't pay list because there are great deals to be had.

The Sennheisers that have been mentioned, 590 & 600, are open air so they won't be very good at noise isolation. Also, from what I've read they are described as being a bit laid back on the top end so, make sure that they have the characteristics you are looking for. FYI, Sennheiser is briniging out the 650 in the fall so you might want to look for a good deal on a used pair of 600 as people unloading their current cans.

Look at all the different brands, Senn, Grado, ETY, Bayer, Sony, Koss, AKG, etc, and try to pick one that matches your taste in sound. FWIW, I have a pair of Sony MDR-CD3000's and they are a tad hot on the top end but really are first rate and very easy to drive. The Senn 600s have a 300 ohm impedance are may be hard to drive from a portable. A great place to checkout some of the different brands and specs is at http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=1

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Well, I just picked up a set of the ER-4P's. Arrived by UPS today. So far, I love them! My wife and I had a little talk about the "high" cost of nice headphones, though. (I did find a good deal, though)

Thanks for the suggestion, Phil. I had always just immediately dismissed earbud or in-ear phones, thinking there's no way they could compete!

I'm going to do some use testing of these, and then I'll post a review for everyone.

CHRIS
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Phil Rose
              • Aug 2000

Thanks for the suggestion, Phil.
              Glad to help! 'Hope that you like them a lot and I look forward to reading your review.

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Grado seem to always be a top pick for mid-sized phones. How's the ear buds working out?

Lex
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"